Calling All Coli Muslims and Islamic Scholars.....Get In Here For A Sec....

invalid

Banned
Daps
I was reading the Holy Quran last week and I came across this verse:

"Oh Zakariyya, indeed We give you good tidings of a boy whose name will be Yahya." Quran 19:7

This verse is in the voice of the angel Gabriel on behalf of Allah.

And it immediately struck me as being unusual. Why, you might ask?

I know Abrahamic names to be theophoric.

What is theophoric?

the·o·phor·ic
/THēəˈfôrik/

adjective
  1. bearing the name of a god.

Islam holds that God's name is Allah and that the "People of the Book" - the old Hebrews and Christians called God by that name. By Allah.

Jews and Christians have used all type of titles to address God -- El, Elohim, Elohai, Elohei, Adonai, Abba

But they contend that God revealed his name to be "I Am" or the tetragrammaton YHWH or Yahweh.

So this is a point of divergence between "People of the Book" and Islam.

Islam: God's name is Allah
Judeo-Christians: God's name is Yahweh

The striking thing about this Quranic verse is this:

It is in the active voice of Gabriel on behalf of Allah and is 1) speaking the name of Zakariyya and 2) named the soon-to-be prophet, Yahya.

There are two problems.

Zakariyya comes from the Hebrew "Zachariah" and is theophoric for "Yahweh remembers".

Yahya, or the English "John", in Hebrew is Yahonan or Yehia. Yahonan means "Yahweh is gracious". Yehia means "Yahweh Lives."

If the Holy Quran says "there is no God but Allah" and the Holy Quran is the direct word of Allah, why is Allah using names that bestow praise to Yahweh?

Especially when there are theophoric names for Allah.

Like Abdullah, which means "slave of Allah".
Or Ataullah, which means "gift of Allah".

Why would Allah give the Prophet John the Baptist (Yahya) a name that praises Yahweh and not Allah?

I started to do some more digging....

The Quran speaks of a man name Isa/Esa (English Jesus).

Isa/Esa comes from the Hebrew "Yeshua" which means "to save".

"Yeshua" etymologically comes from "Yehoshua" which is theophoric for "Yahweh is Salvation".

Why does Isa/Esa, such a big character, mentioned so prominently throughout the Quran, contain the name of Yahweh and not Allah?

There is also Ilyas (English Elijah), which comes from the Hebrew Eliyahu.

Eliyahu is theophoric for "My God is Yahweh".

This name makes it clear that God's name is Yahweh and the Holy Quran specifically mentions this name.

How could your holy scripture, that supposedly comes from Allah himself, use the name of Ilyas - "My God is Yahweh" and not "My God is Allah"?

That's not all.

The Hadiths mentions "Yusha" (English Joshua) which in Hebrew is Hoshea and is theophoric for "Yahweh is Lordly".

Other biblical names include:

Micaiah - Who is like Yahweh
Obadiah - Servant of Yahweh
Isaiah - Yahweh is salvation
Jeremiah - Yahweh will raise
Zaphaniah - Protected by Yahweh
Joel - Yahweh is God

To reiterate:

Muslims mention that God's name is Allah and has always been. And that all the Holy Prophets called God by that name.

If that is so, why do all these Abrahamic names, these very holy names, why do they all praise Yahweh?

Why does the Quran, that comes directly from Allah, bestow names that praise Yahweh, for instance in the verse proclaiming Yahya?

Allah seems to have some confusion about his name. Or the author of the Quran did not know what these names meant when he swiped them from their sources to include in his book.

Can any Muslim explain?

@The Hon. Stringer Bell You seem to be a smart but submissive Muslim. :troll: Can you offer your take?

Last edited:

I AM WE ARE

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The N.O
I'm just here for the knowledge that may be dropped I believe in whatever gives you peace whether it be Jesus Allah yahweh PBUH(to them all)

invalid

Banned
Daps
Allah simply means God in Arabic.
Al-ilah in Arahmaic.

Even Arab Christians and Jews call God Allah.

Allah is Yahweh, The God of Abraham PBUH.

If that be so, why does Allah not follow the same conventions as the word "God" in other languages?

You have the Shahada:

"la ilahe - ilallah".

"Ilah" is the word for "god".

And it follows the same conventions as the word god in other languages.

English:

God (singular), Gods (plural), Goddess (feminine)

Arabic:

ilah (singular), aaliha (plural), ilaaha (feminine)

If we are to take that Allah is simply "God" then it should follow the same convention.

Allah (singular), n/a (plural), n/a (feminine)

Allah is not just God in Arabic. It's a unique name as it has no plural or feminine forms.

What Arabs do is substitute "Ilah" for the unique name "Allah". There is a reason for this that I don't want to mention for the purposes of this thread.

Your own Shahada even uses two different words.

And is almost and exact formula of the name Eliyahu - My God is Yahweh. El - God and Yah -Yahweh.

Arabic Christians are going to follow the conventions of the land. If wider Arabic society is conflating "Allah" and "Ilah", so will they.

Last edited:

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange
If that be so, why does Allah not follow the same conventions as the word "God" in other languages?

You have the Shahada:

"la ilahe - ilallah".

"Ilah" is the word for "god".

And it follows the same conventions as the word god in other languages.

English:

God (singular), Gods (plural), Goddess (feminine)

Arabic:

ilah (singular), aaliha (plural), ilaaha (feminine)

If we are to take that Allah is simply "God" then it should follow the same convention.

Allah (singular), n/a (plural), n/a (feminine)

Allah is not just God in Arabic. It's a unique name.

What Arabs do is substitute the unique name of "Allah" for "Ilah".

Your own Shahada even uses two different words.

Arabic Christians are going to follow the conventions of the land. If wider Arabic society is conflating "Allah" for "Ilah", so will they.

Allah means “The God”, illah is “god”

invalid

Banned
Daps

So why doesn't Allah follow the Hebrew "El" and "Elohim"?
The Quran follows the Hebrew names otherwise.
El and Elohim are used in place of Yahweh because the Hebrews did not like to say/use his name.

What is the "Royal We" form of Allah? In Hebrew, it is Elohim i.e. The Gods (plural).

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
El and Elohim are used in place of Yahweh because the Hebrews did not like to say/use his name.

What is the "Royal We" form of Allah? In Hebrew, it is Elohim.

Because the Quran was revealed in classical Arabic not Hebrew or earlier Semitic languages.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Because the Quran was revealed in classical Arabic not Hebrew or earlier Semitic languages.

Arabic is Semetic.

And again, 'Ilah', follows the same Semetic conventions.

'Allah' does not.

If Allah means "The God" that has to be a unique name, different from 'Ilah'.

Yahweh is the same. There are no plural or feminine forms of the word. Is Yahweh not Semetic in origin? Your argument would then mean that it should follow El and Elohim.

invalid

Banned
Daps

This is taken directly from Muslim.org

The word Allah, according to several Arabic lexicons, means "the Being Who comprises all the attributes of perfection", i.e. the Being Who is perfect in every way (in His knowledge, power etc.), and possesses the best and the noblest qualities imaginable in the highest degree. This meaning is supported by the Holy Quran when it says:

"His are the best (or most beautiful) names." (17:110; 20:8; and 7:180)Contrary to popular belief, the word Allah is NOT a contraction of al-ilah (al meaning 'the', and ilah meaning 'god').
Had it been so, then the expression ya Allah ('O Allah!') would have been ungrammatical, because according to the Arabic language when you address someone by the vocative form ya followed by a title, the al ('the') must be dropped from the title. For example, you cannot say ya ar-rabb but must say ya rabb (for 'O Lord'). So if the word Allah was al-ilah ('the God'), we would not be able to say: ya Allah, which we do.

https://www.muslim.org/islam/allah.htm

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange

What is the "Royal We" form of Allah? In Hebrew, it is Elohim i.e. The Gods (plural).

The Quran was written in Arabic. Allah is Arabic. Even the names of prophets are in their Arabic form: Abraham is Ibrahim, Moses is Musa, Jesus is Isa...

Allah has no plural form in Arabic.

This is taken directly from Muslim.org

https://www.muslim.org/islam/allah.htm

I disagree with the source. It's my understanding that "Allah" is a proper name derived from illah and thus wouldn't follow that rule.

invalid

Banned
Daps
The Quran was written in Arabic. Allah is Arabic. Even the names of prophets are in their Arabic form: Abraham is Ibrahim, Moses is Musa, Jesus is Isa...

If it is written in Arabic, the question is, why aren't the names theophoric for Allah? Isa means Yahweh Saves. Not Allah Saves. Jesus name should be Yaeshallah.
Yahya means Yahweh Lives. Not Allah Lives. Allah Lives is Hafizallah. John the Baptist should have been named Hafizallah.

Yahweh is a personal name.

So "The God" Allah is bestowing personal names that he did not reveal to Muhammad in the Qoran.

That doesn't make any sense.

Additionally, Muhammad's father's name was Abdullah which means "slave of Allah".

This is before Muhammad received revelation from Allah.

So what "The God" is his father named after that is different from Allah whom Muhammad received revelation from?

Last edited:

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange
If it is written in Arabic, the question is, why aren't the names theophoric for Allah? Isa means Yahweh Saves. Not Allah Saves. Jesus name should be Yaeshallah.
Yahya means Yahweh Lives. Not Allah Lives. Allah Lives is Hafizallah. John the Baptist should have been named Hafizallah.

Yahweh is a personal name.

So "The God" Allah is bestowing personal names that he did not reveal to Muhammad in the Qoran.

That doesn't make any sense.

Perhaps the reason is so you understand Allah and Yahweh are the same. :yeshrug: