Cam'rons Purple Haze turns 15

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
320x320.jpg

remember the day I bought it. got that, and Pun's Endangered Species on the same day.
I really remember playing it heavy on the Christmas Eve that year though.

a classic.
the only thing that stops it being that outright undeniable classic is the shift it takes in the second half.

it starts off absolutely flawless hits a bump with Girls then goes back to sounding beautiful up to Dopeman. from there on out the album goes all over the place which takes away from the cohesiveness the album had up to that point. too many sonic shifts from there on out.

Dopeman, Family Ties, Adrenaline are good songs but don't fit what the album was by that point. Hey Lady was basically an x-rated version of Girls. only one should have been on the album and it shouldn't have been Girls. Shake, I never liked then it finishes lovely with Get Em Girls, Dipset Forever and Take Em To Church.

even the skits hold up on here.
Mizzles first bit is amusing, the Rude Boy skit is still funny and the Chicken Head skit is an all timer.

thats without including songs that were on the advance that never made the final album.

all in all...this album really should have been Cam's Supreme Clientele but push backs, a poor single choice and the Dipset motto of "if its good put it on there" stopped the album from sitting alongside Ghost's body of work and instead was just another one of its sons but a classic now in its own right.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
I like the Supreme Clientele comment, always thought that this version of Cam was in a rap family tree of Ghost.