Can you describe what you actually do in your job?

Marzupial

Banned
Daps
I recently met an Asian dude and he was telling me about this group chat he's in with other Asians

Basically they share what the daily routine in they jobs look like so the unemployed, students or people without diplomas can see and practice

He told me examples of people without diplomas who got high paying jobs thanks to the group chat

I think it's an interesting method hopefully we can do the same here

Koli_Kat

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah other races network heavy. When I was in college the Indians had the full courses syllabuses,tests and projects for multiple classes, come to find out they got it from other Indians that already went through the program
:francis:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I recently met an Asian dude and he was telling me about this group chat he's in with other Asians

Basically they share what the daily routine in they jobs look like so the unemployed, students or people without diplomas can see and practice

He told me examples of people without diplomas who got high paying jobs thanks to the group chat

I think it's an interesting method hopefully we can do the same here

Funny that you mention this. One of my former coworkers was also in a Korean group that had similar focus. Not sure if it's the same group but had the same purpose.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
giphy.gif

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
That would take trust.

:unimpressed:
:comeon:

I'm a Software Engineer at a Fortune 500 company. My role jumps between Site Reliability Engineering, System Administration, Database Administration (rarely, lately), Cloud Engineering, DevOps Engineering, Systems Engineering/Architecture and good old fashioned Programming, depending on the day and the task. I've found I need to be a jack of all trades because the knowledge on my project is so siloed, it's inconvenient to have to wait on other people to help resolve issues.

My day begins with a couple of status calls. Just general conversation about what I've done, what needs to be done, what can't be done. From time to time I give demos of my work - I've actually started just explaining a lot of what I do since it's so foreign to some people on the team. Occasionally I'll host the status call when the (self appointed) project lead is out. After that it's generally working on tasks and user stories.

Currently my main focus is in Docker and Kubernetes. Building containers in such a way that they'll fit within our overall application architecture because our application was never meant for that sort of thing. Tech I deal with is basically Docker, Kubernetes, Python, Bash, Java, Maven, Jenkins, Jira, Bitbucket, Git, Linux (Ubuntu). I write java modules and spring boot microservices. I write build scripts and command line tools with Python and Bash. I set up Jenkins jobs and pipelines for our CI/CD. Really, only thing I don't do is production support, and I have zero desire to. If I get a call in the middle of the night, somebody better fukking be dead.

In addition to that I interview new hires for another part of the company. I can't tell whether I'm an easy interviewer, if our candidates are good, or even if our questions are too easy :skip:. I've only had negative feedback for a couple of candidates so far. I think I need to expand my personal bank of questions. The problem with that is, I don't like asking questions that are hard just to be hard, and really don't reflect the work you do day to day. Most people don't have to reverse sort a list of a billion 3D matrices in place, or some fukked up bullshyt like that, so why waste the energy? I'm more interested in problem solving when given ambiguous or incomplete requirements, because that's the reality of what I have to do.

Marzupial

Banned
Daps
^^^wow thanks a lot for that post

I hope more people can post, this is for educational purposes only