Carb cycling unappreciation thread.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I started at 260 in the middle of February. I wasn't taking my diet as seriously as I was lifting so I wasn't dropping much weight. So I started carb cycling 2 weeks ago. Today i'm at 238. Basically I restrict my carb intake during the week, then load up on healthy carbs 1 to 2 days. I guess i'm tricking my body into burning fat. So far its working but gotdam the shyt aint easy :sadcam: I be grouchy as hell during the week, including today. I work out everyday still, not to gain muscle but to maintain/increase strength. I'm trying to get down to 198 by August. It sucks because once I do hit that number, i'm gonna have to change my eating habits for a long time to maintain that weight until my body adjusts permanently.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
And @The ADD wonders why I always push simple calorie counting so hard as a universal answer. This is exactly why. Dude is out here struggling with an unnecessary dieting technique and, lets be reality, is going to give up on it eventually. It is not sustainable and it is complicated and restricting.

@Ethnic Vagina Finder why did you take up carb cycling? It is a technique that is generally meant to help those with a very low bodyfat% get down into the low single digits when they are already on a heavily calorie restricted diet and have plateaued. It is completely unnecessary for an overweight/obese person to force themselves into it unless it is something you want to do. A huge part of losing weight is the mental side of it, and if you are struggling mentally you may want to take a new approach.

Mind you, I'm not telling you to quit, it is obviously working.....you just seem not to be in a great place mentally. The whole shyt about "tricking your body into burning fat" is BS at this stage in your journey. All you are doing is unknowingly creating a caloric deficit by sticking to highly satiating fat and and protein rich foods. You body is taking in less energy (calories) than it burns, so in order to function it is finding matter (fat stores and muscle tissue) to convert to energy and thus you are losing weight.

Carbs are not bad. Carbs are our bodies preferred source of energy. That is why you are in such a shytty mood and feel like shyt, you aren't giving your body what it wants. You seem very concerned about sustaining your weight once you hit your goal, and at your current pace you need to face the facts that something needs to change sooner rather than later before you burn yourself out.

Do you have any idea how many calories you eat and drink per day? You obviously have a decent amount of self control seeing as you have been able to stick to the carb cycling, so why not transfer that self control skillset into an easy to manage and easy to maintain calorie counting diet? Transition to eating some good carb sources such as Old Fashioned Quaker Oats and 100% Whole Wheat Bread....basically any carb source that has at least 2 grams of Fiber per serving and you will still be on a great road to continued, sustainable success. If you need more detailed info on anything I said or the science of weight loss just ask and there are plenty of people here that can help you out.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
And @The ADD wonders why I always push simple calorie counting so hard as a universal answer. This is exactly why. Dude is out here struggling with an unnecessary dieting technique and, lets be reality, is going to give up on it eventually. It is not sustainable and it is complicated and restricting.

@Ethnic Vagina Finder why did you take up carb cycling? It is a technique that is generally meant to help those with a very low bodyfat% get down into the low single digits when they are already on a heavily calorie restricted diet and have plateaued. It is completely unnecessary for an overweight/obese person to force themselves into it unless it is something you want to do. A huge part of losing weight is the mental side of it, and if you are struggling mentally you may want to take a new approach.

Mind you, I'm not telling you to quit, it is obviously working.....you just seem not to be in a great place mentally. The whole shyt about "tricking your body into burning fat" is BS at this stage in your journey. All you are doing is unknowingly creating a caloric deficit by sticking to highly satiating fat and and protein rich foods. You body is taking in less energy (calories) than it burns, so in order to function it is finding matter (fat stores and muscle tissue) to convert to energy and thus you are losing weight.

Carbs are not bad. Carbs are our bodies preferred source of energy. That is why you are in such a shytty mood and feel like shyt, you aren't giving your body what it wants. You seem very concerned about sustaining your weight once you hit your goal, and at your current pace you need to face the facts that something needs to change sooner rather than later before you burn yourself out.

Do you have any idea how many calories you eat and drink per day? You obviously have a decent amount of self control seeing as you have been able to stick to the carb cycling, so why not transfer that self control skillset into an easy to manage and easy to maintain calorie counting diet? Transition to eating some good carb sources such as Old Fashioned Quaker Oats and 100% Whole Wheat Bread....basically any carb source that has at least 2 grams of Fiber per serving and you will still be on a great road to continued, sustainable success. If you need more detailed info on anything I said or the science of weight loss just ask and there are plenty of people here that can help you out.

This is separate from what we generally disagree on.

That said if someone isn't going to dive into keto, or low carb or insulin sensitivity, cycling seems not worth the trouble. I still think people generally eat to many carbs but unless you have specific goals a simpler approach is better.

Last edited:
Daps
Adam3000, everyone's metabolism is different. My body metabolizes carbohydrates very inefficiently--keeping my calories the same but switching my macros to one with a lower carbohydrate percentage made the biggest difference for me in terms of breaking through a year long plateau and maintaining a lower weight.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Adam3000, everyone's metabolism is different. My body metabolizes carbohydrates very inefficiently--keeping my calories the same but switching my macros to one with a lower carbohydrate percentage made the biggest difference for me in terms of breaking through a year long plateau and maintaining a lower weight.

What were your daily calories before and after your switch, and how big of a switch are we talking about

EDIT: Also, if your body metabolized carbohydrates inefficiently, that would be a good thing for weight loss. Tougher digestion = higher thermic effect = more calories burned. I may be misunderstanding what you are saying though

Last edited:
Daps
What were your daily calories before and after your switch, and how big of a switch are we talking about

EDIT: Also, if your body metabolized carbohydrates inefficiently, that would be a good thing for weight loss. Tougher digestion = higher thermic effect = more calories burned. I may be misunderstanding what you are saying though

Same calories around 1600, decreased carbs from 50% (default setting on myfitnesspal) to at most 20%.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Same calories around 1600, decreased carbs from 50% (default setting on myfitnesspal) to at most 20%.
That is a massive change thermically on an already low calorie intake in an effort to break a plateau. Putting your body into ketosis is a great way to do that.

Not exactly relevant to a 260 lb guy trying to drop 60 lbs and struggling with a negative side effects, just like a person dropping carbs to hit sub-10% bf isnt really relevant.

He clearly stated he wasnt taking his diet seriously, yet jumped into a difficult to maintain and physically and mentally exhausting dieting technique. So are you suggesting he continue doing what he is doing, or do you have different advice for him? Because apparently there was something wrong with my advice. I see nothing that I posted that conflicts with your response.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
@awkwardblackgirl sorry the post above is worded like an attack. I apologize.

Its just frustrating when someone creates an unappreciation thread about complicated diet advice and I make an attempt to simplify things and someone comes in and tries to re-complicate it. The things you mentioned in your post (plateauing on an already low calorie restriction) were already qualified in my initial post. I even qualified calling "tricking your body into burning fat" BS by using the phrase at this stage in your journey

I'm here legitimately trying to help people better themselves by attacking their problems from a scientific perspective with the added factor of human psychology. I shouldn't have to be constantly defending the scientific and biological facts of a calorie restricted diet.

A calorie deficit will cause weight loss 100% of the time. If MyFitnessPal is telling you that you are on a calorie defecit yet you aren't losing weight, MyFitnessPal is wrong on its calculation. That is where the person to person discrepancy comes in, not in the science of weight loss. MyFitnessPal is limited to universal mathematical equations. It is not an accurate measure of your own body's caloric expenditure. Trial and error is the only measure of that (or being hooked up 24 hours per day to one of those clinical measuring devices....but that isn't possible)

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Didn't expect these resonses. Every body's make up is different. I do what works for me. What I'm doing is a three phase process. Destroy, rebuild and maintain. I'm in phase 1 right now. I'm basically putting my body through a detox and heavy stress. If I can adapt under extreme conditions it will be easier to to maintain under normal conditions. I will break down my whole system later.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Didn't expect these resonses. Every body's make up is different. I do what works for me. What I'm doing is a three phase process. Destroy, rebuild and maintain. I'm in phase 1 right now. I'm basically putting my body through a detox and heavy stress. If I can adapt under extreme conditions it will be easier to to maintain under normal conditions. I will break down my whole system later.

You sound mentally strong and committed. That is the biggest hurdle. Congrats on the success so far.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@awkwardblackgirl sorry the post above is worded like an attack. I apologize.

Its just frustrating when someone creates an unappreciation thread about complicated diet advice and I make an attempt to simplify things and someone comes in and tries to re-complicate it. The things you mentioned in your post (plateauing on an already low calorie restriction) were already qualified in my initial post. I even qualified calling "tricking your body into burning fat" BS by using the phrase at this stage in your journey

I'm here legitimately trying to help people better themselves by attacking their problems from a scientific perspective with the added factor of human psychology. I shouldn't have to be constantly defending the scientific and biological facts of a calorie restricted diet.

A calorie deficit will cause weight loss 100% of the time. If MyFitnessPal is telling you that you are on a calorie defecit yet you aren't losing weight, MyFitnessPal is wrong on its calculation. That is where the person to person discrepancy comes in, not in the science of weight loss. MyFitnessPal is limited to universal mathematical equations. It is not an accurate measure of your own body's caloric expenditure. Trial and error is the only measure of that (or being hooked up 24 hours per day to one of those clinical measuring devices....but that isn't possible)
and that my friend is why you are one of my favorite posters on the coli

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Have you ever had problems with your weight?

Yes, but not severe problems because as my weight grew I set a very specific number and promised myself if I ever hit that number I would immediately change my lifestyle. The day I hit that number on the scale is the day I cleaned out my pantry and did my first set of pushups in years.

I worked retail for 6 years after school so the constant walking and lifting kept me from getting out hand too quickly even though I overate constantly.