Census will offer Hispanic or Latino and Middle Eastern or North African as race categories for the first time

Amo Husserl

All Star
Daps
This is dumb. There are Hispanics who are literally black and some who are white.
It's not dumb, it is political.
Separating themselves for a clear Latino identity.
What happens to the Afro-Latino?
They will have to choose.

No matter what this means, they are still an ethnic group.
This only proves their numbers are high and concentrated enough to overwhelmingly represent the ethnic marker.
30635501256.jpg

Examining for the first time how eugenics was taken up by scientists and social reformers in Latin America, Nancy Leys Stepan compares the eugenics movements in Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina with the more familiar cases of Britain, the United States, and Germany.In this highly original account, Stepan sheds new light on the role of science in reformulating issues of race, gender, reproduction, and public health in an era when the focus on national identity was particularly intense.

Last edited:

JUSTIN HERBERT

Banned
Bushed
Daps
Then why do some check white instead of leaving it blank or other?
\
from my experience there is no other
and i didnt know you could leave it blank.
also, when i ask someone at the office about it they 10/10 times tell me to just check 'white'
i shwear tah god on this

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Census are full of lies

Black people have been "13%" for damn near 50 years. With White people having negative birth rates for the same amount of time

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
An average ADOS can definitely trace our lineage back to slavery.

23andme exposed the “chosen people” but I’m talking about something different.

A lot can, but not all, and some had "family stories" that turned out to be bullshyt. Look at how many people were claiming Native American who weren't Native American. Or who claimed Black but were really just Italian or some shyt, or even claimed Italian but were really Black.

images

Not to mention, exactly "how" much lineage can someone claim? Some folk can trace one ancestor back, but if that's just 1/64th of their lineage, then does it count or no? How many folk really already know all their family lines back?

I'm just saying, if it even comes down to something serious, it's going to be a mess that self-reporting by itself isn't going to work for.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This is dumb. There are Hispanics who are literally black and some who are white.

There are Hispanics who are Black, and Hispanics who are White, and Hispanics who are so mixed going back so far that they've literally never identified as anything other than Latino and it doesn't make any sense for them to identify as either Black or White.

I welcome the fact that the ones who want to identify with White people are free to make it official of their own volition, and the ones who want to affirm their Blackness can also do so, and the ones who consider themselves neither White nor Black now can list that without having to default to something they didn't really believe.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
What happens when...

you're black and from Colombia?

You're Black and from Algeria?

You're White and from Mexico?

You're White and from Lebanon or Israel?

What happens if you're Black and from Sweden? Or White and from Zimbabwae? You can still mark Black if you're Black and White if you're White no matter what country you're from. That hasn't changed.

And the ability to check more than one box has been a thing for at least a few censuses now.

Asian can ranges from Indian to Pakistani to Chinese to Filipino and much more.

Russians are complex as shyt too lol.

This seems lazy tbh, why put different types of Natives if you're not gonna put different types of black people?

The form has steadily grown over time and will continue to grow as the political need arises. Race is a social construct, so there is no perfect race form or objective answer to these questions.

Census are full of lies

Black people have been "13%" for damn near 50 years. With White people having negative birth rates for the same amount of time

Census data is too widely distributed to be manipulated like that, you would have to have the cooperation of every person accumulating data at every step in the process, because they can look at the data for their particular region on a small scale and see if it matches what they collected or not. Do you think that every random person who is hired into the census office is indoctrinated into a secret conspiracy that they hide for their life? Not to mention that the gains for this conspiracy would be minimal as hell.

Now, it IS true that Black folk are undercounted, because too many Black people believe conspiracies about filling out census forms and cause folk in neighborhoods with poor resources tend to complete their forms at a lower rate than better-off neighborhoods. Plus, Black life expectancy is like 10 years below White life expectancy and Black birth rates have been declining too and are now negative as well.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Then why do some check white instead of leaving it blank or other?

I filled out a form for my daughter just a few days ago and there was zero place to acknowledge her mother's contribution to her ethnicity. No "other" at all, and I didn't want to leave it blank. I ended up just literally writing it onto the form cause it was a medical form not a government document. But if it was a government document, wouldn't most people just feel like they had to mark one of the available options?

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Census data is too widely distributed to be manipulated like that, you would have to have the cooperation of every person accumulating data at every step in the process, because they can look at the data for their particular region on a small scale and see if it matches what they collected or not. Do you think that every random person who is hired into the census office is indoctrinated into a secret conspiracy that they hide for their life? Not to mention that the gains for this conspiracy would be minimal as hell.

Now, it IS true that Black folk are undercounted, because too many Black people believe conspiracies about filling out census forms and cause folk in neighborhoods with poor resources tend to complete their forms at a lower rate than better-off neighborhoods. Plus, Black life expectancy is like 10 years below White life expectancy and Black birth rates have been declining too and are now negative as well.

Everything is not a conspiracy. There are only 3 races that exist (White, Black, East Asian), along with countless types of groups of mixed bloodlines, and there are 9, sometimes 10 categories in the Census. What do you think is going to happen from that?

And White people in America have only themselves to blame. They are ones that started the "purity" test of who is Aryan and pure white. But when their negative birth rates started gaining steam all of a sudden they started adding more "white-adjacent" groups as white. Which is a fact. They have backed themselves into a corner and now want to backtrack