Chance The Rapper outchea turning down $5 and $10 million label advances

jbrad

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't get how this kid is "independent" when he REEKS of NEPOTISM

Spike Lee has known him since a child, his father has political connections and he can just "turn down multi million dollar" contracts?

This kid is a damn CIA operative. Operation Christ Crusader

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
thats smart of him, a 5 million or ten million advance is a trap.

advances are loans brehs. its not free money.

as big as chance is, he hasn't sold anything yet, except tour dates. while thats mad fruitful, he'd prolly have to go all sorts of quatruple, quatraple platinum, word to pac, just to break even with an advance like that.

Exactly. People want to get hyped up about the $10 Million, but you have to pay that back with interest. I wouldn't want to go for that, I'd rather keep most of the money I make and either build a team that's able to do what I need for the most part.

As for the "Chance is signed to a record label!" talks I'm hearing from these posters, which label is he signed to? And does anyone have tangible evidence to prove it? Apple isn't a record label, it's a music company... Big difference. The burden of proof is on the people who are saying he's signed. And guaranteed, most people here if I asked them if they knew what TuneCore is, they'd draw a blank. I'm not saying he didn't have connections, but connections don't automatically equal out to him being independent. Does he own his masters? If so, then he IS independent, whether people here like it or not. And the only person who can confirm that is Chance himself.

The fact that a good percentage of posters here that are saying they've never heard a Chance song until recently explains it all, because I remember first hearing about Chance back when Acid Rap was everywhere, and he had a ton of hype back then off that tape. And then he had dropped Surf, another project he did that people wanted to hear. And before Coloring Book dropped, people wanted him to drop Chance 3 for a good while. When you don't pay attention to things, it all seems like it happened at once, but this was at least a good four years in the making. And that's me not counting 10 Day.

People underestimate the power of a fan base. It's the same reason why Logic can do 73k first week on his debut but have his shows sold out, have a popular voice actor on his second album on multiple skits, and having his own Resident Evil VII Promo Ad collaboration done officially with PlayStation. How Hopsin can go from recording in his bedroom to performing at massive festivals all over the world. And how Tech N9ne can be underground but also able to make it on the Forbes list (probably being the richest Independent rapper to date). It's the fans that get you there. A connection means a lot and Chance definitely had more opportunities at his disposal than most others would, but that's still an accomplishment, considering his music has to actually be GOOD to get himself in these spots in the first place.

Rekorb

Banned
Daps
Exactly. People want to get hyped up about the $10 Million, but you have to pay that back with interest. I wouldn't want to go for that, I'd rather keep most of the money I make and either build a team that's able to do what I need for the most part.

As for the "Chance is signed to a record label!" talks I'm hearing from these posters, which label is he signed to? And does anyone have tangible evidence to prove it? Apple isn't a record label, it's a music company... Big difference. The burden of proof is on the people who are saying he's signed. And guaranteed, most people here if I asked them if they knew what TuneCore is, they'd draw a blank. I'm not saying he didn't have connections, but connections don't automatically equal out to him being independent. Does he own his masters? If so, then he IS independent, whether people here like it or not. And the only person who can confirm that is Chance himself.

The fact that a good percentage of posters here that are saying they've never heard a Chance song until recently explains it all, because I remember first hearing about Chance back when Acid Rap was everywhere, and he had a ton of hype back then off that tape. And then he had dropped Surf, another project he did that people wanted to hear. And before Coloring Book dropped, people wanted him to drop Chance 3 for a good while. When you don't pay attention to things, it all seems like it happened at once, but this was at least a good four years in the making. And that's me not counting 10 Day.

People underestimate the power of a fan base. It's the same reason why Logic can do 73k first week on his debut but have his shows sold out, have a popular voice actor on his second album on multiple skits, and having his own Resident Evil VII Promo Ad collaboration done officially with PlayStation. How Hopsin can go from recording in his bedroom to performing at massive festivals all over the world. And how Tech N9ne can be underground but also able to make it on the Forbes list (probably being the richest Independent rapper to date). It's the fans that get you there. A connection means a lot and Chance definitely had more opportunities at his disposal than most others would, but that's still an accomplishment, considering his music has to actually be GOOD to get himself in these spots in the first place.

In 2017, any artist who appeals to suburban kids really don't need a label.

I don't see Ar-Ab or Mozzy signing an exclusive deal with Apple Music.

By a pseudo independent artist getting a Grammy makes a huge statement.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Black man signs to a label and he's called a slave.

Black man stays independent and he's called an agent or some type of MiB alien or some shyt.

Brehs don't know which way their tin foil hat turns.
:scust:

Last edited:

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
In 2017, any artist who appeals to suburban kids really don't need a label.

I don't see Ar-Ab or Mozzy signing an exclusive deal with Apple Music.

By a pseudo independent artist getting a Grammy makes a huge statement.

Well, that's because those two don't make widely accessible music. They could deserve it more than Chance does, but at the end of the day, it's all about the business. They're not going to risk investments by putting money into someone who's tougher to sell in 2017. Unfortunately too, because they very well could reach a lot of people, but big wigs aren't willing to take the risk. That's just how it is.

People say this generation is soft, but I don't think that's true. I think because of the internet, we're able to be so much more conscious about what goes on, and voices are a lot louder. Suburban rappers didn't have a voice, but now they do. You don't have to trap out the bando with the windows boarded to make good music, and I'm glad we've moved in the direction where we're finally understanding that.