Chinese meat-processing plant that supplies McDonald's mixed sewage and rotten meat with fresh

RebelX

HEir
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
~~~
mcdonalds000_hkg687506.jpg

JUST a few months ago a meat-processing plant in Shanghai’s Jiading district won a food safety award. Shanghai Husi Food, one of several such facilities in China owned by OSI Group, an American firm that sells meat products to the world’s leading fast-food chains, was named an “Advanced Unit (A-Class) of Safe Food Production” by local authorities.

Not quite. A hidden-camera exposé, done by local reporters, appears to show workers at the plant relabelling expired meat as fresh and handling food with bare hands. It appeared that the floor of the processing plant was covered with rubbish and sewage, and meat was scooped up off the floor and thrown into mixers. Rotting meat was apparently mixed together with fresh meat and packaged for sale. In this and other ways, the A-Class plant made a mockery of “safe food production.”

The shockwaves rippled through deep fryers across the land. It turns out that OSI is an important supplier to such fast-food chains as McDonald’s and Yum Brands, which controls KFC and Pizza Hut. Both firms immediately halted sale of meat processed by OSI. Starbucks, an American coffee purveyor, pulled from its shelves chicken paninis that contained questionable meat. At least nine big chains, including two Chinese firms and the Japanese arms of several multinationals, are affected.

This is but the latest in a never-ending series of food-safety scandals in China. As usual, the firm at the heart of the controversy claims it is pure as the driven snow. Officials at OSI’s headquarters say they are shocked by the allegations, and insist that if they are true they are anomalies. The damage to the firm’s reputation (which, to be fair, had previously been good) may be hard to repair.

Five officials from the company’s Shanghai operations, including the head of the firm and its quality manager, were detained this week by police. China’s Food and Drug Administration is now investigating the company’s operations in five other provinces. Most damningly, an official declared that the illegal activities “are not the behaviour of a certain individual, but an organised arrangement.”
SOURCE: http://www.economist.com/blogs/analects/2014/07/food-safety?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/notyum

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
The thing I like about China is this quote:

Five officials from the company’s Shanghai operations, including the head of the firm and its quality manager, were detained this week by police. China’s Food and Drug Administration is now investigating the company’s operations in five other provinces. Most damningly, an official declared that the illegal activities “are not the behaviour of a certain individual, but an organised arrangement.”

We know how China works, those responsible will be sent to death and their organs harvested before they face the firing squad. In the US they would be looking at most two years in jail, if that.

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps

We know how China works, those responsible will be sent to death and their organs harvested before they face the firing squad. In the US they would be looking at most two years in jail, if that.

I think some dude over there got a death sentence over some bad milk.

Edit: Here it is.

A Chinese court has condemned two men to death and sentenced a company boss to life for their roles in the production and sale of poisoned milk that killed at least six children and made almost 300,000 sick.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jan/22/china-baby-milk-scandal-death-sentence

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

Jail? Here?

McDonalds would probably pay a huge fine, someone would get a Golden Parachute and go start over in London, and then that's all she wrote

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
Jail? Here?

McDonalds would probably pay a huge fine, someone would get a Golden Parachute and go start over in London, and then that's all she wrote

Foreal man, that shyt sickens me. Think of the thousand lives destroyed from Enron and those responsible just got jail sentences. In china embezzlement is an instant death sentence. Plus it doesn't matter how rich or powerful you think you are.

Embezzled $40 million? Death :camby:

You rich and you killed innocent people while driving drunk? Firing squad :camby:

You sold poisoned goods? Lethal injection :camby:

None of that 'he's the son of so and so' or 'his rich upbringing led to this demoral behavior', just a death sentence and your organs harvested before they carry out justice.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
:to: I just had it on Sunday
tumblr_m5sf94NzgY1qlbkes.gif
:dahell:
Loaf of wheat bread containing 16-20 slices = $2.00
Package of 8 oz ham = $2.00
Pack of 16 slices of cheese made from milk = $2.50
Total Cost = 6.50
Sandwiches that can be made from this = 16, 8 if you go double and you'll still have bread left over for toast n shyt.
$6.50/8 = 82 Cents per sandwhich (double meat and cheese) (you could even go buck-wild and get some lettuce or mayo or something)

Cost of a Mc Double = $1.25 + Tax

cost of 8 Mcdoubles = $10.

Don't get me started on rammen noodles either...:ufdup: