Chinese Restaurants Are Closing- And The Owners Are OK With It.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And the average African-American doesn't? My grandfather was a sharecropper working on land he didn't own, saved up took buses and trains to NJ, put his savings into a small house, worked at a can factory, raised 6 children, with a 5th grade education. My grandmother scrubbed white people's toilets for 40 years.

Fast forward a few decades they raised an Olympian, a Marine, 2 successful accountants (go figure), My father, a laborer who eventually managed an oil rig, and an operations manager for Bell Atlantic before she retired.

And that story isn't uncommon.

I will say this.

One thing Asian people and Africans to some extent do do differently is that they don't rush their kids out the house.

Your anecdote doesn't nullify what I said. I have examples of this within my own immediate family.

but two things that standout are

• Level of education
  • Societal expectations of marriage
Their children are more likely to mirror natives and be accepted into mainstream. So there's that also.

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
These immigrants come from severe circumstances and are willing to save and live like sh!t for decades just so their kids can have a better life.

You shouldn't compare them to any Westerners.

To be fair a lot of Western kids don't want to live with their parents once they become "adults". Young people want their own space. Society is also harsh, you get looked at as a "loser" if you still "live at home" after a certain age.

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
A lot of these Chinese restaurants were a means to an end, and this is the case with a lot of immigrants, hell I know an Albanian guy who opened up a pizzaria and sold once he got his kids through college. It's just a shame because we as Black people do not have the resources nor will banks lend to us to give the ability to start/manage fast cashflow businesses like that.

Or they're indebted to foreign entities which fund their voyage and business venture.

Basically saying thanks nikkas for funding our livelihoods.

$lim

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Indianapolis, IN
ELugaErU8AE3VI9

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
OK and....:dahell: Lets focus on building black owned chain food spots to empower our families...
I’ve eaten at nothing but black owned restaurants since moving back to Atlanta (except last night I got Chinese because they were the only ones open on Christmas)

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
this is a major fact that everyone overlooks

black people wont even allow their kids to stay home past 18, meanwhile soo yung has saved enough to buy a house staying with her family until 30

Oh yeah. Those kids are chillin in the cut through college and working at the front counter of the restaurant when their not in class. You go in when it’s slow and they’ll have their text book open until someone comes in to be seated.

chkmeout

marshawn lynch handshake
Daps
These immigrants come from severe circumstances and are willing to save and live like sh!t for decades just so their kids can have a better life.

this is a major fact that everyone overlooks

black people wont even allow their kids to stay home past 18, meanwhile soo yung has saved enough to buy a house staying with her family until 30

Your anecdote doesn't nullify what I said. I have examples of this within my own immediate family.

but two things that standout are

• Level of education
  • Societal expectations of marriage
Their children are more likely to mirror natives and be accepted into mainstream. So there's that also.

To be fair a lot of Western kids don't want to live with their parents once they become "adults". Young people want their own space. Society is also harsh, you get looked at as a "loser" if you still "live at home" after a certain age.

Loser mentals :francis:

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
A lot of these Chinese restaurants were a means to an end, and this is the case with a lot of immigrants, hell I know an Albanian guy who opened up a pizzaria and sold once he got his kids through college. It's just a shame because we as Black people do not have the resources nor will banks lend to us to give the ability to start/manage fast cashflow businesses like that.

BANKS WILL LEND. WE JUST DON'T KNOW THE LANGUAGE TO GET THEM ON BOARD.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
I figured that these Chinese takeout places would disappear eventually.
I don't really see any young people working in them (youngest is 40+ usually), and immigrants from China these days are generally less desperate than back in the day.
Another change is that there's more demand for authentic Chinese food now, so that likely means a gradual decline in the demand for Americanized Chinese takeouts.

Last edited:

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps

Bullshyt narrative a lot of them use other immigrants to get rich. Those restaurants are successful because people working in them ain’t getting paid