Chris Rock: Tamborine (Netflix Comedy Special Thread)

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I loved this special even though I watched it live. I think he was more subdued than in all his other stand ups. I think he did it on purpose since he was getting really personal with his issues and divorce.

I think he edged Equanimity. But I'm biased cause I've always had Chris slightly above Chappelle when it comes to Stand up.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
average
made the mistake of watching this and the last katt williams special back to back
found myself laughing at the katt williams one way more
feel like the first 15-20 min were kinda of trash. there were a few jokes that didn't even get any response or laugh from the crowd
second half was pretty strong

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
The buildup to him talking about cheating and then the punchline at the end was brilliant. Like I was legit feeling uncomfortable for him thinking he was about to break down crying than he just breaks all the tension with the punchline. Getting divorced definitely reignited him creatively
Just need that to happen to Burr :takedat:

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
It was just ok to me, maybe because I expect a lot from Chris. You can see how much that divorce fukked him and he was all to blame. I guess that's what happens when you in Hollywood for too long! You will get 'kevin hart'ed' as chapelle said.

Dave chapelle is on another level with his stand up right now. Funny and real shyt.
Chris Rock hasn't evolved past Bring the Pain
Chappelle has obviously evolved past Killing Them Softly
Maybe how they've spent the past decade plays a big part of it

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Chris Rock hasn't evolved past Bring the Pain
Chappelle has obviously evolved past Killing Them Softly
Maybe how they've spent the past decade plays a big part of it

I disagree. I would argue Chappelle hasn't made a special better than Killing Them Softly. All of his specials except for Killing Them Softly, Equanimity, and Bird Revelation were mediocre. You could make a strong case that he never topped Killing Them Softly and the 30 minute special he did before KTS.

On the other hand, I think Chris Rocks greatest special is Never Scared.

Last edited:

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
I disagree. I would argue Chappelle hasn't made a special better than Killing Them Softly. All of his specials except for Killing Them Softly, Equanimity, and Bird Revelation were mediocre. You could make a strong case that he never topped Killing Them Softly and the 30 minute special he did before KTS.

On the other hand, I think Chris Rocks greatest special is Kill The Messenger.
KTS is definitely the least dated of his specials but few jokes topped his OJ routine

Spin

All Star
Daps
I thought this Rock and Chappelle specials were solid. Both of these guys are at a point in their lives where they just don't give a crap about pleasing people or going for the "easy" laugh. Both of them are dropping gems about what it means to be a black man in todays society.

DamienWayne

Superstar
Daps
Definitely his most personal stand up to date. I hope k hart is as real in his upcoming standup

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Is this from his Total Blackout tour from last year? If so, already saw in person in Australia last July

the ending was :wow:

"And that's when I realized...I made it":wow:

Damn, this is from his tour last year. Won't watch then. It was good as hell though.