Classics Discussion: Compton's Most Wanted and MC Eiht

Which one of these Compton's Most Wanted and MC Eiht albums are classic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
A lot of y'all will remember these threads I used to make. At the request of @T.H.E. Goat, I'll try to bring this back but I cannot promise frequent thread making. I'll do my best.

---------------------------------

I made this thread: The Official 'Classic Album' Discussion Thread, trying to reach a conclusion as to what defines a classic album. After much discussion, I am running with this definition personally, so take it as you will when you consider your classic albums. But this definition in particular was most agreed upon.

Classic: 1. An album considered by consensus of the core hip hop community to be of the highest quality (doesn't have to be perfect or flawless, just an album that the consensus deems the shyt).
2. Assuming that condition 1 is met, is this an album that has stood the test of time amongst the core hip hop community? Is that an album still held in high regard, still referenced at least ten years after its release? By a consensus of the hip hop community?

Props to @mobbinfms for the definition and also for his help generally in helping me with ideas to create these threads.

So I'll be going through one artist per day, and I will list out all their discography or close to all of it until the year 2005, as we decided that an album needs at least 10 years of existence before it can be called a classic or not.

-----------------------------

To help bring even more attention to these threads, I'm gonna create a hashtag (again props to mobbinfms for the idea) and I urge you guys to click on the tag and click on the option to watch the tag.

Here it is: #coliclassics

----------------

Today we got MC Eiht as a solo artist and Compton's Most Wanted as a collective.

1a4eb7fecb92431594bffb0c4d3a20da.webp

Get voting!

I will be making a POLL. For each album I will present a YES or NO option so if you think that particular album is a classic, you click 'yes' on the poll for THAT album and vice-versa. The acceptance rate for an album to be deemed a CERTIFIED classic is 80%.

If you don't think an album is a classic, DO NOT LEAVE THE POLL BLANK. You vote NO for that album instead so at least we register your vote.

I will NOT count any comments in the thread as votes, you must use the poll. The comments section should be used for discussion only.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
#coliclassics

CMW and 8 have a gazillion albums so couldn't include everything due to poll restrictions but listed the albums that were most likely to warrant discussion.

Music to Driveby is a masterpiece and an easy YES. Straight Checkn Em also got my yes vote.

Undecided on We Come Strapped but saying no for now.

:demonic:

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
@Ashtrey

yes to We Come Strapped but no to M2D?
:patrice:

I'm on the fence about We Come Strapped so given you voted yes, do you have a good reason why that could sway my opinion?

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Much better production in my opinon. Eiht sounds more polished as well.

Fair enough - but it seems you're purely arguing qualitatively. Do you think We Come Strapped has enough cultural impact or does that factor not matter to you personally?

We Come Strapped was just Eiht at his peak

Lyrically, production, sound etc

It just doesn't get better than that album

:jbhmm:

might need to relisten to this

Ashtrey

Superstar
Daps
Fair enough - but it seems you're purely arguing qualitatively. Do you think We Come Strapped has enough cultural impact or does that factor not matter to you personally?

I didn't see it directly influence the sound of hip hop but it was CMW most successful album. Noreaga did bite the "nikkaz On The Run" phrase though that Eiht mentioned multiple times on the album.:yeshrug:

It did solidify Eiht as a respected MC. He graced The Source cover solo and got 4 mics when The Source was stingy with the ratings. "Def Wish III" did prompt Quik to come back with one of the best disses in hip hop history with "Dollaz & Sense".

That's all I can think of so far.

JA_Carter

Superstar
Daps
Might be in the minority but Death Threatz is my personal fav of his.

Voted yes on Death Threatz, Music to Driveby to & We Came Strapped

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Gotta revisit the Death Threatz album:jbhmm:

really enjoyed that album

one of my favourite MC Eiht songs

Good thread .. appreciate the time you take to make these :salute:

Voted YES for

Its a Compton thang
Music to drive by
We come strapped

Don't mention it
:win:

Curious to get your take on It's a Compton Thang. What makes it a classic to you?

------

side note, I'm surprised I'm the only one to vote no on We Come Strapped. Just listened to it and while it's much better than I remember, it still hasn't swayed my vote.
:manny: