Coi Leray Claims Old Label Pressured Her To Make Pop Music: 'They Wanted Taylor Swift'

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Coi Leray wants to be seen for who she is as as artist, which is something she claims her former label had no intention of honoring.

The “Players” rapper reflected on her relationship with Republic Records during a livestream on Tuesday (April 23), revealing that its executives kept pushing her to be more like Taylor Swift.

“I’m not on Republic Records no more, I’m on Island [Records],” she began. “When I dropped Blue Moon, Republic — they wanted pop shyt. They wanted some Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande shyt, which I can do, but I still like to work on my own pace and my own time, and I’m still, like, developing and learning and my own sound and shyt …

“The Blue Moon shyt they didn’t like. I wouldn’t say that they didn’t like, but it was something that they felt they didn’t want to put no money into. So when I gotta come out my pocket and put my own money into my own music, you gotta make real-life decisions.”

She also reflected on how not all people like “every Coi in the pond,” referring to her versatility and her ability to sing, rap and switch up her style.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Coi career does seem mishandled. But at the same time she doesn't have the versatility and charisma of a Doja Cat to succeed in the pop lane

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
A label is a business trying to keep the lights on no different than a flower shop. Why wouldn’t they try to replicate proven commoditiesunhappy.

At that flower shop.
They can not sell pieces of bark.
as a bundle of roses.
That is what you have a disconnect to.

The people running these companies.
are nepotism no talent execs with extreme disconnect.

as coi leray in every possible way.

EPMD : so what'chu saying.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Her label was just desperately trying to find her a lane because she's losing them massive amounts of money.

If you go back to when she first got on she's tried every style and can't sell records or resonate enough to have a real, loyal fan base.

They would have never took a loss and fell Back.
if they were not no talent losers.
at evaluating talent in the first place.

Art Barr