Coli Brehs give a 24 year old some insight on my career outlook.

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
nikkas were getting on me in the Masters in McDonalds so im looking for some constructive criticism and advice for opportunities to exploit.

Im 24.

DELETED

So, what some advice y'all can given my standing at the moment, my outlooks, and goals that are reasonable based on both. Also, good careers I should look into or skills/certifications I should gain.

Last edited:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
nikkas were getting on me in the Masters in McDonalds so im looking for some constructive criticism and advice for opportunities to exploit.

Im 24.

Basically a shorter version of my resume.
  • Degree in Economics (BSBA not a BA)
  • Experience in retail (almost 4 years at grocery). Work part time here
  • Current full time job is IT related. A data quality analyst (simple words: cleans data)(14$/hr)
  • Also Reservist in military(AF): job includes building up cargo on pallets and downloading/inbounding trucks. Military license I can drive all the forklifts (4k, 10k, 10kAT)
  • Have a security clearance (secret clearance)
Plans
  • Starting my MA in Economics this fall.
  • after completing this course will be Segreant (E5) in the near future (within the next 6 months).
  • Plan on taking the excel experience for with me in the next job soon. Staying at this job for probably a year; year and a half
  • Probably will take a OSHA 30 course online to make myself more appeal to warehouse
  • Prob will take a forklift class or go for a forklift cert in the near future.
  • Want to be an economist or Analyst eventually. However open to any career path that will guarantee 65k+

So, what some advice y'all can given my standing at the moment, my outlooks, and goals that are reasonable based on both. Also, good careers I should look into or skills/certifications I should gain.
What is it that you want to do? I will say that try to keep that security clearance for as long as you can because it will be a trump card for getting into IT. But yeah it's hard to suggest anything without really knowing what you want to do. Remember, this is something you'll be doing for the next 20-30 years.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
If you want to be an economist you need a Phd.

Business Analyst roles paying $65K+ will not / should not require a masters (at least in some of the more competitive job markets, DC, NYC, Chi etc). That salary range is what a lot of me and my Econ cohort were getting straight out of college. If anything, I'd say if you want to go the Master's route I'd say look to a Master's in Finance.

Finance and Econ are very similar in theory, assumptions and concepts however, Finance actually applies those theories and concepts in the real world / practically. I usually urge people to do Finance at the Master's level over Econ.

If you're dead set on the MA in Econ (and have already enrolled) then what you need to start doing is reaching out the people in the companies you're interested in. Do not start looking to make the connections when you're a semester from graduating.

Here's what I suggest

1. Try to get a mentor or career coach that can help offer you advice, but also keep you accountable
  2. Get a list of 50 companies you'd want to work for that have Business Analyst roles (JP Morgan, Walmart, GEICO, Capital One etc)
  3. Take a look at the required skills/experience they are looking for an ensure you have at least 50-60% of them. On the hard, technical skills you want that to be even higher.
  4. Per skills, I suggest SQL as a base. Depending on the rigor of the Analyst role, you may even want to get some statistical packages under your belt (SAS, SPSS etc)
  5. For the 50 companies, see if you can connect with one recruiter at each company on LinkedIn. Let them know what you're currently doing and if they do any recruiting from the Master's program you're at.
The main thing is to start the networking processing now. You're kind of coming from a different industry so make sure you nail an internship during your first summer as that will be a spring board to either a return offer or it'll give you a foot into the industry.

Let me know if you got any other questions.

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
What is it that you want to do? I will say that try to keep that security clearance for as long as you can because it will be a trump card for getting into IT. But yeah it's hard to suggest anything without really knowing what you want to do. Remember, this is something you'll be doing for the next 20-30 years.
The last bullet is the goal, but I’m keeping my options open

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Business Analyst roles paying $65K+ will not / should not require a masters (at least in some of the more competitive job markets, DC, NYC, Chi etc). That salary range is what a lot of me and my Econ cohort were getting straight out of college. If anything, I'd say if you want to go the Master's route I'd say look to a Master's in Finance.

Finance and Econ are very similar in theory, assumptions and concepts however, Finance actually applies those theories and concepts in the real world / practically. I usually urge people to do Finance at the Master's level over Econ.

If you're dead set on the MA in Econ (and have already enrolled) then what you need to start doing is reaching out the people in the companies you're interested in. Do not start looking to make the connections when you're a semester from graduating.

Here's what I suggest

1. Try to get a mentor or career coach that can help offer you advice, but also keep you accountable
  2. Get a list of 50 companies you'd want to work for that have Business Analyst roles (JP Morgan, Walmart, GEICO, Capital One etc)
  3. Take a look at the required skills/experience they are looking for an ensure you have at least 50-60% of them. On the hard, technical skills you want that to be even higher.
  4. Per skills, I suggest SQL as a base. Depending on the rigor of the Analyst role, you may even want to get some statistical packages under your belt (SAS, SPSS etc)
  5. For the 50 companies, see if you can connect with one recruiter at each company on LinkedIn. Let them know what you're currently doing and if they do any recruiting from the Master's program you're at.
The main thing is to start the networking processing now. You're kind of coming from a different industry so make sure you nail an internship during your first summer as that will be a spring board to either a return offer or it'll give you a foot into the industry.

Cool! I already enrolled, but the program I’m in teaches R mainly for data inference. Would that be consider SQL, or is that a whole different program.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Cool! I already enrolled, but the program I’m in teaches R mainly for data inference. Would that be consider SQL, or is that a whole different program.

R is for statistical analysis IIRC. SQL is for data querying. 5-10 yrs ago a business analyst could get by with just Excel and Ppt. But the volume of data available in the last couple of years demands analysts work with far more data, hence the need for SQL skills.

SQL isnt too hard to learn. A lot of great courses on YT.

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
R is for statistical analysis IIRC. SQL is for data querying. 5-10 yrs ago a business analyst could get by with just Excel and Ppt. But the volume of data available in the last couple of years demands analysts work with far more data, hence the need for SQL skills.

SQL isnt too hard to learn. A lot of great courses on YT.
Which is the best industries look. I seen online in terms of being an analyst, health care is the best area to look at.

Also, can I just enroll in a SQL course for an certification?

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Which is the best industries look. I seen online in terms of being an analyst, health care is the best area to look at.

Also, can I just enroll in a SQL course for an certification?

Industry is obviously depend on your interests. The skillset of an Analyst can be taken into any industry tbh.

Healthcare is obviously a good choice. The US population is aging so there’ll be increased demand for healthcare services (and analytics).

I don’t know if there’s any SQL specific cert. Usually I advice people to get on sample projects that require you to apply your knowledge. Once you get a handle on the fundamentals, you can list them on your resume.

Eg.

Advanced SQL User (Case statements, Left Joins, Creating Tables etc)

Anyone that uses SQL regularly should be able to tell that you know your stuff.

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Industry is obviously depend on your interests. The skillset of an Analyst can be taken into any industry tbh.

Healthcare is obviously a good choice. The US population is aging so there’ll be increased demand for healthcare services (and analytics).

I don’t know if there’s any SQL specific cert. Usually I advice people to get on sample projects that require you to apply your knowledge. Once you get a handle on the fundamentals, you can list them on your resume.

Eg.

Advanced SQL User (Case statements, Left Joins, Creating Tables etc)

Anyone that uses SQL regularly should be able to tell that you know your stuff.
my brother, I was at my sister Grad for college and saw a joint I went to school with graduating as well. We get the talking and turns out she majored in analytics and management (I think management was the second major). She was saying my school has a good master Econ program. And also said I should get a Master analytics certificate from my school as well

What you think about the Analytics certificate? Waste of time or valuable?

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Where you live? I've never seen an IT role making $14/hr. :dwillhuh:

You should leverage your security clearance and look for other jobs.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
What you think about the Analytics certificate? Waste of time or valuable?

Depends on the cost of the course/cert but generally anything showing you’re good with analytics is a good sign. Just make sure employers recognize and accept the cert.

Last edited:

Leao2005

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Here's what I suggest

Two things bro

1. in reference to SQL. You agree with this? The Best Way to Learn SQL (From IT Training Experts)

2. You in the DMV area? Is there good opportunities out there for me for a summer internship next year. A brother need some connections.