Computer and internet privacy thread

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
We had a couple good threads on it today, figured I'd lay out some of the things I do online to help out with privacy and security. I'm not engaged in any freaky or illegal shyt, but I hate what the internet has become; a huge infromation harvesting leech that is trying to turn us all into reality TV stars in our own ad campaigns.

1. Norton AV subscription. Expensive, but for about $80 a year you can cover I think 5 PCs. Leave it on cranked to the highest setting. Split the cost with friends and family.
  2. Do OS updates quickly. Sometimes they contain fixes for exploits that by agreement will be announced publicly soon after the release. Hackers might use that info to exploit unpatched hardware.
  3. I used 2 browsers. Completely separate. Social media, the big spy websites like google Amazon, ebay, FAcebook, twitter, etc and any business/banking I do on one. If I want to buy something, hit the other browser. General browsing on the other. So, for the most part my personal and business/public life are kept separate and I don't have worry about social media accounts following my normal browsing. This works for me because I don't use social media much so I don't have to worry about switching back and forth a lot. I also frequently wipe my browsing history.
  4. I turn off all audio prompts and never set up "smart" devices to use my wifi network. Even if you don't care about privacy, all they're doing us sucking up your network to turn around and spam you.
  5. I NEVER use cloud services for hosting my personal data. These sites get hacked and most of the agreements make it clear they're using any info you post up to them.

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
Norton AV...

JWuCQg5.gif

MMA

Superstar
Daps
The coli is filled with trolls, nothing new
I've worked in Cyber Sec for 7-8 years, your advice was sound for 3-5. Everything else is embarrassing

Your phone, your apps, google, etc are spying on you.. and collecting data every second with everything you write.

Basic stuff that anyone can do - social media and privacy do not go hand to hand (you don't want anything to be shared, stay off of it completely), No mentions of VPN, strong password - not using the same password for different places, changing your password frequently, stay on websites with hypertext transfer protocol (https), do not download bullshyt software from sketchy links, do not use outside wifi for anything involving your passwords or personal information, do not sign up to places with your full identity (use fake birth, different usernames, passwords, security question, like OP said isolate certain situations like trading, paying bills online, buying things, involving a lot of personal information, secure your router

- you need to look at security backwards - trace your steps and see what holes you are creating for someone to get access into ruining your life

Last edited:

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I use express VPN just recently got it claim they dont monitor/track anything but time stamps I haven't really looked into it only used it to watch Europe TV shows . . I use to hear good things about eset nod32

Creepn

All Star
Daps
:russ: @ using 2 browsers. Doesn't matter how many browsers you use, you're still vulnerable. VPNs are one of the best things you can do for privacy.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
:russ: @ using 2 browsers. Doesn't matter how many browsers you use, you're still vulnerable. VPNs are one of the best things you can do for privacy.
Which one you recommend

bammtronics

man sit 'cho ass down!
Daps
Reppin
Long Beach
- turn off/deny all location services until you need them like for navigation...turn it back off when youre done
- if you need cloud storage, manage it manually, none of that auto-backup mess (was pissed when i realized apple enabled this by default and i had to jump thru hoops to remove my shyt)
- giving apps access to your contact list is always:camby:

....but honestly privacy is pretty much a wrap with all this 2 factor authentication you gotta do these days

King Frost

Stay Frosty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
North Pole
A lot of services are asking for phone numbers. I could tell you steps to protect your neck but this basically involves not using any of the popular services including this site and it wouldn't make sense since your friends, family & co workers are still using them and give apps access to their contacts which means youre already in their system.