Could Meng/Haku ever have been a top heel?

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
Just wondering how he would’ve gotten over as a top heel. He got a pretty decent push back in the WWF days and got to feud with Hoegan a little.

His lack of English would’ve hindered his promo ability so he would’ve needed a mouthpiece. He has the in-ring ability and the scary factor though.

He rarely ever got pinned as is and in WCW, the Tongan death grip was a wrap for anyone who caught it.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Just wondering how he would’ve gotten over as a top heel. He got a pretty decent push back in the WWF days and got to feud with Hoegan a little.

His lack of English would’ve hindered his promo ability so he would’ve needed a mouthpiece. He has the in-ring ability and the scary factor though.

He rarely ever got pinned as is and in WCW, the Tongan death grip was a wrap for anyone who caught it.

He did got over as an Heel he was King Haku and that's when holding the title as King meant something

Last edited:

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think so. He could've probably had a 6 month program with Hogan in the 80s maybe, his character/ringwork was pretty limited for the 90s. Smarks love him because of the stories of him being a shoot badass. I liked him in WCW when I was 8-9 years old, I liked his finisher, but I dont see it.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Yes. It would have taken some work and a lot of cooperation but it wouldn't be a stretch.

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
Had he been in his prime during the post 2000s when social media and Internet really took over and wrestling started letting fans behind the curtain + all the legendary folklores of him being a legit badass, he would have definitely got a push and had big matches with people like Brock.

Guys like he, Steve Blackman, etc. would have ate good during this time

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
It would have to do with who else was around... I think he could've been upper midcard in both WWF and WCW, but in both instances there was a stacked heel side that he had to share space with. He got a good look in both companies at different times, but I can't say he ever coulda been THE heel.

TRIPLE M

This is Where the Power Lies
Daps
His shot was when he was King Haku with Heenan and at the time main event runs were on house shows not tv and 89 was his most pushed

and also did a loop against Macho Man for the belt but can’t find a match just this promo selling it

His biggest break was main eventing Saturday Nights Main Event on NBC that year against Hogan

And the following year against Warrior

honestly he would’ve been a good ic champ but Rick Rude and Mr Perfect were reppin the Heenan Family at that time for that belt so it was tough

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
No but he had a 10 year stretch where you could give him a mini run against the champ and people would buy it even though they knew there was no chance he'd win the belt or anything, and that's a pretty good place to be.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
Not in WCW while the nWo was around :patrice:maybe in 94'-95' when the Dungeon of Doom was trying to kill off Hulkamania but even then The Giant was the chosen one of that stable

:wow: The Tongan Death Grip is such an underrated submission finisher
I was re-watching some old Nitros and nobody ever got out of the Tongan death grip. It had a 100% success rate. :russ:

He caught Chris Benoit in mid-air with it and it was nite-nite.

Last edited:

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Had he been in his prime during the post 2000s when social media and Internet really took over and wrestling started letting fans behind the curtain + all the legendary folklores of him being a legit badass, he would have definitely got a push and had big matches with people like Brock.

Guys like he, Steve Blackman, etc. would have ate good during this time

Hed actually be a top face rather than heel

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
He did have that small time in WCW where he was on a winning streak looking dominant....then got fed to Goldberg.