Creating an Intellectual And Cultural Movement for Black Males

nullnullnullnull

Peace ✌🏿
Daps
So it’s not like some iteration of this thread hasn’t been made before. But I am serious about stepping forward and responding to the cultural zeitgeist of black men wanting their voices heard.

With scholars like Tommy Curry and T Hasan Johnson and artists and performers like Playwright Inua Ellams leading discussions on black masculinity. I find it important that a new scholarship and sociopolitical agenda emerges that not only clears the name of and improves the image of black men but also improves our conditions in this world and elevates us economically, professionally, psychologically and emotionally.

I have deep interest in improving black men’s lives and erasing negative behavioral patterns from our various cultures. I am not AA, I’m young too and I’d like your input on how to run and improve such a movement and ideology.

What are hot topics of discussion that will lead to black male excellence? How do we interact with others across the diaspora and should we? Is it a worthwhile usage of time? Should we work to get such an ideology/movement implemented into academia or should we work towards engendering such a movement in pop culture first? What, if anything, would the movement be called?

I really want to improve black men’s condition, health and current state, as well as how they interact with women, children and of course, other black men. I want black men to know their worth and be free to control their own destinies. Please discuss.

I’m also contemplating making a YouTube channel on the subject. I’d like people who are interested in being involved in that to also hmu about that.

Tornado Drill

Rookie
Daps
I'm interested in these things:

1. Improving and controlling our image
  2. Rethinking how we go about economics while we encourage more entrepreneurs and establish more partnerships between the diaspora
  3. Fix how we are schooled. Figure how to get the people educated on how to solve the big issues and get curriculum that is tailored that way.

nullnullnullnull

Peace ✌🏿
Daps
I'm interested in these things:

1. Improving and controlling our image
  2. Rethinking how we go about economics while we encourage more entrepreneurs and establish more partnerships between the diaspora
  3. Fix how we are schooled. Figure how to get the people educated on how to solve the big issues and get curriculum that is tailored that way.

1 is integral. Black men have to tell their own stories and be heard on their terms

2 Intra-diaspora relationship improvement, economic education and entrepreneurship is a must.

3 controlling our educational systems and programs is a big must.

Thanks for contributing @Tornado Drill
Great ideas

The Special Man

Let’em have it
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA 9th Ward
Fam I completely agree with everything you just said but the problem is that the powers that be has made ain't shyt black people the our voice and enabled other ain't shyt black people to spread their venom. Only way to save black masculinity is through black unity but the man has planted seeds of self hatred in our community and that poison ivy is blooming right now :francis:

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
There is no community. Well there's no one community. Just different factions with different agendas. There is no code. These things have to be acknowledged before any progress can be made or you'll end up like Tariq, Tone, Yvette and Umar. I like your idea tho and you as a poster

nullnullnullnull

Peace ✌🏿
Daps
There is no community. Well there's no one community. Just different factions with different agendas. There is no code. These things have to be acknowledged before any progress can be made or you'll end up like Tariq, Tone, Yvette and Umar. I like your idea tho and you as a poster

I respect you too man. There is no code or one community. It took me a year and some experiences to realize this. It was a hard pill to swallow but a meaningful one. Just got to build with like minded black folks.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
:ehh:

I've been thinking about this topic but from a more abstract angle.
There are the base "phenomena" you deal with and the "terms"/"words" used to denote it.
But in between (phenomena & terms) you have "description" or in more academic terms philosophical / theoretical thought. Most men have ceded the ground of describing certain social "phenomena" to women in academia under the idea that those fields where the work is done isn't career worthy.

I.E. a lot of men disregard less technical fields such as....
  • Africana Studies
  • Sociology
  • Psychology
  • Gender studies
  • etc
...as fields you can't get "jobs" in.

Thing is those fields produce the scholarship that propagates through society framing the discussion. Alot of folks also don't understand that nor do they understand that University professors role is not only to teach but also produce knowledge(theoretical constructs) useful for understanding/framing the world you interact with.

These feminist has produced scholarship that frame the world as they see it. And because men don't think anything of those kind of fields they have few scholarly retorts. Lets not even get into the current politics of academia given men have let the nonsense run so far amok!

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
:ehh: in more academic terms philosophical / theoretical thought.

Thing is those fields produce the scholarship that propagates through society framing the discussion. Alot of folks also don't understand that nor do they understand that University professors role is not only to teach but also produce knowledge(theoretical constructs) useful for understanding/framing the world you interact with.

These feminist has produced scholarship that frame the world as they see it. And because men don't think anything of those kind of fields they have few scholarly retorts.

Framing which discussion. I don't think philosophical thought is unique to "soft" subjects.

Philosophy of Law
Philosophy of Mathematics
Philosophy of Medicine
Philosophy of Economics
Philosophy of Science

And how did you get "don't think anything of those kind of fields"? What does that mean in practice? How many "experts" do you need?

Lord-Yosh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York
I respect you too man. There is no code or one community. It took me a year and some experiences to realize this. It was a hard pill to swallow but a meaningful one. Just got to build with like minded black folks.
You are absolutely right about building with like minded folks. No matter how hard it may seem to find them they are out there brothers.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great thread, I think I can offer two suggestions.

The first is related tho the charactered views on masculinity. Due to historical and present reasons, the rites of passage and examlars of what constitutes true Black masculinity has been decimated. We are left with oversexualized, over violet, and undereducated examples who get the most “air time.” Our kids get fed the negative images and messages of us and they believe that that is how/who they ARE.

The second is mental health related- I think of a Tsu surf line “ safe for this money but where I put this pain at?” We are a highly marginalized and traumatized group with little collective outlets and mental health knowledge and supports. What fortifies us, who supports us, who values us? How do we heal and grow from a system that has dehumanized us, stripped our worth, and has forced us into the fringes?

Our problems are deep rooted and as such, our solutions must be commensurate.