Criminally Unsung Classic: Mitchy Slick - Trigeration Station

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
MI0000348456.jpg

Most likely a lot of y'all don't know who Mitchy is, but all you need to know is that in 2001 he dropped one of the best (and imo THE best) SoCal gangsta rap albums of the 2000's. The production on this album is mobbier than your average SoCal gangsta rap album but the execution is perfect; the soundscape is polished and completely evokes the picture Mitchy Slick paints. Mitchy himself demonstrates on this CD that he is truly one of the most underrated lyricists from SoCal. His style is as direct as it is nuanced and clever. The features on this project are solid throughout and the posse cuts are some of the dopest songs on the album.

This album should be brought up in the same breath as the Documentary is on this board when talking about classic 2000s West Coast gangsta rap, period. It's hard to find these days but I think it's on spotify.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Yeah, I first started hearing Mitchy in like 2005......My boys and I grew up nowhere near Lincoln Park, though I wasn't too far from areas of Skyline, but the point was it was music for the city, from the city. I liked a lot of Slicks early stuff, and I still fukk with his music....'Federal' is his best track to me, or up there. When he gets the right production, which can be a task, he is very, very dope. We used to go to Fam Mart and grab his tapes back in the mid 2000's. Another favorite around then was the track over 'I Need a Freak',(I think) 'Triv'....'Yeah Dat', with that tweaker Don Diego, whose tapes also got play, before he tied up and tortured a family, and got life. 'Dying To fukk You' was another one, drunk off hennessey, with a girl I was involved with at the time.....My boys used to play that when we were all together, fukking with me lol I liked that song but hated the context....'Ot With The Yax' had me feeling like a boss even if I was just a bottom tier gramero....'Connected' that was the anthem at the time...wow a lot of memories to Slick's music...