• Black Messiah

Votes: 19 15.2%

• Total voters

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Anyone who's favorite album is Black Messiah? If so, I would love to talk to you and know why. :smile:

Me.

I don't fault anyone for picking his first two albums....but he was in "the pocket" then. At the peak of his career. Then on top of that, it's great music for nostalgic purposes. I was a senior in high school when "Brown Sugar" came out.

"Black Messiah" is a lot more impressive IMO because dude took a 14 year break, came out, killed it, and still outsold half the acts of 2014. Virtually no one else could do that. The only thing comparable was that Tribe album. Imagine a hot artist in 2018 taking a break until 2032. Their career would be over around mid 2019.
mfmNVR1.png

Fred.

brownsugah

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Me.

I don't fault anyone for picking his first two albums....but he was in "the pocket" then. At the peak of his career. Then on top of that, it's great music for nostalgic purposes. I was a senior in high school when "Brown Sugar" came out.

"Black Messiah" is a lot more impressive IMO because dude took a 14 year break, came out, killed it, and still outsold half the acts of 2014. Virtually no one else could do that. The only thing comparable was that Tribe album. Imagine a hot artist in 2018 taking a break until 2032. Their career would be over around mid 2019.
mfmNVR1.png

Fred.
Thank you for this post. Black Messiah is my favorite D’Angelo record as well. I felt like he proved a lot of his doubters wrong and there was progression in terms of his sound. I loved how he delved into more of a rock/guitar driven sound on some of the songs and how he’s developed his guitar playing skills. I feel like Black Messiah does a great job of capturing the essence of why we all fell in love with D’Angelo’s music in the first place while incorporating new elements and showing a new and different side of his artistry. There’s a good balance of socially/politically conscious records on Black Messiah in addition to records centered around love. I feel like it is a bit unappreciated at times, but it always feels good seeing other fans out there who share the same sentiment. :smile:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Thank you for this post. Black Messiah is my favorite D’Angelo record as well. I felt like he proved a lot of his doubters wrong and there was progression in terms of his sound. I loved how he delved into more of a rock/guitar driven sound on some of the songs and how he’s developed his guitar playing skills.

I agree with your whole post but I'm gonna focus on this part specifically.

A lot of his earlier stuff sounded like hip-hopish, in terms of production. I love 90's R&B but a lot of it doesn't have a lot of live instrumentation. It's more sample, drum machine, keyboard based. Even the stuff he had instrumentation on back then, it was kept to mostly loops and/or one consistent sound throughout the songs.

I think he probably got deeper into actual instruments and experimenting because music in general moved away from all that. Musically "Black Messiah" sounds closer to a Prince album than a D'Angelo one. Especially stuff like "Ain't That Easy".

Fred.

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
Anyone who's favorite album is Black Messiah? If so, I would love to talk to you and know why. :smile:

D and ?estlove had been talkin about a all out funk+rock joint James River for years so when this hit I thought Aww shyt it's on now lol It's a great project for the fact that 1' D is back..2 It proves that next to Anthony Hamilton..Rapheal Saddiq..Roots..Mint..etc etc there's still a spot for live soul music with a band and 3 He always leaves us wonderin what he's gonna do next...just like Prince did