SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
And if so, do they actually like the bangers vibe or they just like the idea that Drake can play in the streets without being too street on some National Geographic shyt?

Pull up your :coffee: This shyt's a bit long but that SirBiatch quality you love :banderas:

Aight, let's get to it:

I was revisiting "Started From The Bottom" and seeing all these views is wild to me. It's straight up one of Drake's biggest songs ever.

I remember clear as day when this track hit the net. NONE of the Drake fans I knew were fukking with it or even sharing it. How I found out about the joint was through a cat on Facebook who couldn't stand Drake, never posted anything Drake but all of a sudden posted this track. Naturally, that had me :jbhmm:

I heard the joint and was like :wtf: :whew: "This is the hardest Drake shyt I've ever heard." I shared it. Other heads I knew shared it.

Everyone else (the Drake fans - and I know plenty in Toronto) were genuinely :dwillhuh: and "I dunno about this". While heads like me who were so used to dissing Drake were :banderas:

Sometime between the video dropping (and I've always said it's Drake best video, and certainly his most 'street'), cacs I knew adopting 'yeah I started from the bottom, too' as some kind of hipster joke, and Hold On We Going Home (which was fluff, went over super well with his usual audience but has less views than Started) -- Started became a monster record. It's more likely to hear Started now anywhere than Hold On We Going Home.

Same shyt happened with 0 to 100. nikkas I know who don't even check for Drake were the ones like "yooo, this song GOES". I was surprised at how tough Drizzy sounded. I live on the edge of Scarborough. First time I've heard/seen man dem RINSE a song. Outta beat-up cars. Hood nikkas driving around blasting Drake. Again, lukewarm response from the RnB hardcore Drizzy stans. Then at some point it just took off.

The ultimate experience is If You're Reading This It's Too Late. My brother is a big Drizzy fan. He downloaded the mixtape the day it came out and flat out told me it mixtape sucked. I'm hearing from Drizzy fans I know that the mixtape is trash.

But my DJ breh (from that late 80s era) was like: "yo, tape's alright. There are some joints." He wasn't super enthusiastic about it but he wasn't dissing it either. I thought maybe he was getting soft in his old age. After all, if my brother says Drizzy fell off, and he's a fan, that means Drizzy really done?

Then I hear "10 Bands" at a party one time and was genuinely like "This is Drake? :merchant: Holy shyt! :banderas: :ohlawd:

Drake goes on to have arguably his biggest year ever. Makes more bangers with Metro Boomin and rides that street support into shyt like Hotline Bling. My brother's quoting "No Tellin" and talking about "take a blade with me when I check a bytch, aint no tellin". and how Drake is the realest out. Lovin the goon talk.

yet when I'm in the crib bumping Royal Flush or Mobb, he's like: "aint no one trying to hear that thugged out shyt anymore"

:dahell:

What's really going on here?

Do y'all really fukk with the hard shyt or not?

Is this proof yet again that for you to be the biggest rapper (unquestionably) in your era, the 'streets'/serious hip hop fans have to believe in you on some level? Which means that you'll always have to play up the goon talk at important, convenient times even if your image is Disney?

Will there ever be a completely squeaky-clean rapper that never embraces any goon talk and dominates for as long and completely as Drake?

Were people around your way, even casuals/pop fans in love with the "bangers Drake" from the get-go? Let's talk about it.

southpawstyle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
California
Fire_Window_Fall.gif

SHAQAVELLI

We Are Penn State
Daps
Reppin
PA
So we're saying "Street Drake" is...
10 Bands
6 God
I'm the Plug
Back to Back
Jumpman
I'm Goin In
Underground Kings
SFTB
Worst Behavior
The Language
....etc

I'm a Drake stan. I'll tell you I very much fukks with that style from Drake.

SirBiatch

Daps
So we're saying "Street Drake" is...
10 Bands
6 God
I'm the Plug
Back to Back
Jumpman
I'm Goin In
Underground Kings
SFTB
Worst Behavior
The Language
....etc

pretty much.

Do you also fukk with Hold On We Going Home, The Motion, Money Dreams Can Buy, etc as hard as street Drake? Because them shyts to me is unlistenable to me. The very antithesis of being street.

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
You had a spark when you started but became a terrible poster.

It was beginning of the end when you stated posting for attention/to be heard rather then to be smart or funny.

P.S. Didn't read

SHAQAVELLI

We Are Penn State
Daps
Reppin
PA
pretty much.

Do you also fukk with Hold On We Going Home, The Motion, Money Dreams Can Buy, etc as hard as street Drake? Because them shyts to me is unlistenable to me. The very antithesis of being street.
Tough one. I feel there's three Drakes. He makes hard shyt. He makes soft music (Hold On We're Going Home, Best I Ever Had, Karaoke, seemingly a lot of the new album). He makes introspective tracks.

I find the soft stuff the least appealing to me, however him carving out that lane has made him as big as he is.

While I do like his street tracks, I think he shines on the happy medium. That's songs like "Club Paradise," "Look What You've Done," "You & The 6." That's where he proves he is an artist.

SirBiatch

Daps
nikkas don't want to read, yet they've arrived like the Drake and SirBiatch stans they are :bryan:

Tough one. I feel there's three Drakes. He makes hard shyt. He makes soft music (Hold On We're Going Home, Best I Ever Had, Karaoke, seemingly a lot of the new album). He makes introspective tracks.

I find the soft stuff the least appealing to me, however him carving out that lane has made him as big as he is.

While I do like his street tracks, I think he shines on the happy medium. That's songs like "Club Paradise," "Look What You've Done," "You & The 6." That's where he proves he is an artist.

fair enough.

I wouldn't say "Best I Ever Had" was soft at all. It's actually one of his hardest tracks on the low, especially beat-wise. That's Boi-1da shyt. The subject matter was 'soft' but hard/soft is more about feel than anything, imo. It's harder than most of Drake's discog actually

SHAQAVELLI

We Are Penn State
Daps
Reppin
PA
nikkas don't want to read, yet they've arrived like the Drake and SirBiatch stans they are :bryan:

fair enough.

I wouldn't say "Best I Ever Had" was soft at all. It's actually one of his hardest tracks on the low, especially beat-wise. That's Boi-1da shyt. The subject matter was 'soft' but hard/soft is more about feel than anything, imo. It's harder than most of Drake's discog actually
All right let's switch out Best I Ever Had then, because I really like that one :lolbron:

Sub in Doing It Wrong, Shot for Me or The Real Her (how you waste Andre 3000 guest spot on THAT???)

SheriffOG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
C tha God always gets slander and called a c00n but I fukks with him and he always says drake can spit but is playing himself with this singing shyt and a fully agree

"Street Drake" is undefeated in my opinion