Do the positives of internet bullying outweigh the negatives?

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
As I get closer to 40 years old, I have to look back and thank the internet for all the negativity I received in the past.

As a young person, I was really caught up in Making music and artwork, which looking back on it was a huge mistake. Of course, It was my "dream", and everyday I was always somehow closer to "making it".

I had a group of friends who all participated in the same activities, but I was the only one that subjected my work to very harsh world of internet forums and other social media. Most of my work was either ignored or outright ripped to pieces by strangers online who didn't give a shyt about my feelings or whether I would confront them. Honestly, it really destroyed me and made me think that everything that I did creatively was a waste time. Some people really went out of there way to be mean spirited about their criticism.

I had to really think about what I was doing and what I committed my time to. As a result, I re-focused on school and doing something more practical. I was actually going to put a few grand on a studio with a friend a long time ago, but because of all harshness I got online, I pulled out of that venture and spent my money on school.

My friends that stayed off the internet and focused on real world networking never faced that brutal hard criticism that I faced. Sure they worked with more people and sold more beats than me because of their networking, but now that we are all 34+, I am definitely in a better position than they are. They are still pursuing a dream in music and have virtually wasted all their prime years. In our mid-thirties, we are already considered too old for hip-hop and art, and they are still trying to "make-it". They have been off and on employed at random jobs here and there as short order cooks, warehouse workers, and other unskilled labor. I used my young years to invest in a career.

If I would have just stayed off the internet and networked in the local community like my friends did, I would probably would have ended up like them.

The fact of the matter is the internet wants 1 outta 1000 level talent and ability, but they also want everything for free. The internet virtually has no problem brutally attacking the remaining 999/1000 with negative comments, dislikes and other means of negativity. It's a survival of the fittest arena.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Interesting take. It probably holds true for the artsy types. Maybe even content creators in general these days.

I didn't jump into my career straight after school, but I enjoyed that time and wouldn't consider it lost year. Still, I'd probably be depressed still working random jobs trying to make it in my mid 30s or even trying to crack into a different field with little relatable job experience.

This brings me to my last point. I've found face to face networking to be invaluable both personally and professionally.

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
This brings me to my last point. I've found face to face networking to be invaluable both personally and professionally.

I definitely agree with that, and because of their networking my friends gained more success and recognition in Hip-Hop/art that I ever did. However, having medium or moderate regional success in music and art is actually terrible financially especially in digital era. Further, Local artists get trapped inside a reality "yes-men" bubble as well, and rarely receive criticism people need to develop.

Also, what happens when trends change and a local artist is no longer wanted or popular. It's even worse. There is no retirement package, and people don't really care to support (by paying) yesterday's hot local artist.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
As I get closer to 40 years old, I have to look back and thank the internet for all the negativity I received in the past.

As a young person, I was really caught up in Making music and artwork, which looking back on it was a huge mistake. Of course, It was my "dream", and everyday I was always somehow closer to "making it".

I had a group of friends who all participated in the same activities, but I was the only one that subjected my work to very harsh world of internet forums and other social media. Most of my work was either ignored or outright ripped to pieces by strangers online who didn't give a shyt about my feelings or whether I would confront them. Honestly, it really destroyed me and made me think that everything that I did creatively was a waste time. Some people really went out of there way to be mean spirited about their criticism.

I had to really think about what I was doing and what I committed my time to. As a result, I re-focused on school and doing something more practical. I was actually going to put a few grand on a studio with a friend a long time ago, but because of all harshness I got online, I pulled out of that venture and spent my money on school.

My friends that stayed off the internet and focused on real world networking never faced that brutal hard criticism that I faced. Sure they worked with more people and sold more beats than me because of their networking, but now that we are all 34+, I am definitely in a better position than they are. They are still pursuing a dream in music and have virtually wasted all their prime years. In our mid-thirties, we are already considered too old for hip-hop and art, and they are still trying to "make-it". They have been off and on employed at random jobs here and there as short order cooks, warehouse workers, and other unskilled labor. I used my young years to invest in a career.

If I would have just stayed off the internet and networked in the local community like my friends did, I would probably would have ended up like them.

The fact of the matter is the internet wants 1 outta 1000 level talent and ability, but they also want everything for free. The internet virtually has no problem brutally attacking the remaining 999/1000 with negative comments, dislikes and other means of negativity. It's a survival of the fittest arena.
In some fukked up way you spun this into a positive, which is a great start. You need to seek someone to talk to. These feelings you had will eventually come back

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
In some fukked up way you spun this into a positive, which is a great start. You need to seek someone to talk to. These feelings you had will eventually come back

I am not worried about it. It sucks to spend literally hours on working on something, and then have it ripped to shreds by strangers. However, I think it's worse to have it falsely praised by friends and family.

There are people out there who chase dreams for 20 to 30 years and have nothing to show for it. In fact, most people who pursue arts have that experience. That's worse than having one's feelings hurt online.