• Total voters

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
New Clipse on the way. It’s on Spotify now but it’s not playable

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lord Willin must just be a personal classic. I get that the whole album isn’t bulletproof but sometimes the impact 5-6 CLASSIC songs have lifts up the entire album.

I still randomly think of lyrics from that album

bordeaux

xxx
Daps
Reppin
God's Plan
they always been highly praised by critics. but i definitely think the second album was something special. there was the label drama and they had a real movement goin at the time. first album is great and the 3rd very good.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
What was the impact of HHNF?
I’m late to this but it’s on the first page today so I’ll reply.

Like @The Jewnited States said I don’t even know if this album had a ton of lasting impact, but it was considered musically to be The Neptune’s arguably most creative and solid body of work up to that point. Push was growing into his own as an emcee and they stopped sounding just like each other. Malice kept up the introspective talk. Every joint was a banger. It was a great blend of experimental hip-hop that sounded futuristic while being grounded in a boom-bap aesthetic.

It wasn’t as popular as Lord Willing but it was more lyrical, with slightly better and production; and it was a tighter and more cohesive body of work.

It was basically an underground gem that just happened to have a couple of bigger singles on it that did pretty well.

The production may sound slightly dated now, but less so than Lord Willing IMO. There’s maybe 1 skipper on the album and it’s jist a raw no frills hip-hop album. No filler. And in an era of long albums, pandering singles, and skits, it was straight to the point.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Lord Willin must just be a personal classic. I get that the whole album isn’t bulletproof but sometimes the impact 5-6 CLASSIC songs have lifts up the entire album.

I still randomly think of lyrics from that album
Comedy Central is also one of the Neptunes most underrated “experimental yet hard” bears.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m late to this but it’s on the first page today so I’ll reply.

Like @The Jewnited States said I don’t even know if this album had a ton of lasting impact, but it was considered musically to be The Neptune’s arguably most creative and solid body of work up to that point. Push was growing into his own as an emcee and they stopped sounding just like each other. Malice kept up the introspective talk. Every joint was a banger. It was a great blend of experimental hip-hop that sounded futuristic while being grounded in a boom-bap aesthetic.

It wasn’t as popular as Lord Willing but it was more lyrical, with slightly better and production; and it was a tighter and more cohesive body of work.

It was basically an underground gem that just happened to have a couple of bigger singles on it that did pretty well.

The production may sound slightly dated now, but less so than Lord Willing IMO. There’s maybe 1 skipper on the album and it’s jist a raw no frills hip-hop album. No filler. And in an era of long albums, pandering singles, and skits, it was straight to the point.

I don't know, I found Lord Willin to be more lyrical. Songs like "I'm Not You" and "Virginia" are both among Malice and Pusha's best performances lyrically. I thought the production was a step down from Lord Willin. Lord Willin had production that felt fuller even the more minimal tracks. It definitely wasn't The Neptunes at their most creative. HHNF came out during a time when it was Pharrell doing most of the producing as Chad focused on his family. This was after The Neptunes had peaked. Lord Willin dropped in the middle of their peak when The Neptunes could do no wrong. Lord Willin proved them to be more than just hitmakers. This was their first real offering for the streets and when everybody was partying to Nelly's "Hot In Herre", they showed a darker side with "Grindin" and the entire Lord Willin album. "Grindin" was a moment that can't be replicated.

I do agree that HHNF is more of an underground gem. I like the album, but nothing about it felt essential or definitive.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I don't know, I found Lord Willin to be more lyrical. Songs like "I'm Not You" and "Virginia" are both among Malice and Pusha's best performances lyrically. I thought the production was a step down from Lord Willin. Lord Willin had production that felt fuller even the more minimal tracks. It definitely wasn't The Neptunes at their most creative. HHNF came out during a time when it was Pharrell doing most of the producing as Chad focused on his family. This was after The Neptunes had peaked. Lord Willin dropped in the middle of their peak when The Neptunes could do no wrong. Lord Willin proved them to be more than just hitmakers. This was their first real offering for the streets and when everybody was partying to Nelly's "Hot In Herre", they showed a darker side with "Grindin" and the entire Lord Willin album. "Grindin" was a moment that can't be replicated.

I do agree that HHNF is more of an underground gem. I like the album, but nothing about it felt essential or definitive.
Fair enough. It seems like you thought it out.