Dothan,AL PD PLANTED GUNS & DRUGS on Blacks; DA CoverUp—POLICE CONFIRM DOCS REAL; Local News Reports

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Apparently there is some skepticism about how many were involved and how long this went on.

Doubts raised about report that Dothan, Ala. police planted drugs on young black men

taken from the same article. its pretty clear that theres a racial issue there regardless...

On the other hand, no one I talked to who has done criminal defense work in Alabama was surprised by the allegations, and all had negative things to say about Dothan, Houston County, and District Attorney Doug Valeska in particular. (Valeska has been DA there for more than 20 years.) One prominent defense attorney in the state says the county is so rife with racism that he had advised black clients to take plea bargains even when they have corroborating witnesses, simply because white jurors there just tend to assume that black people are lying. He described the racism in the area as so casual and ingrained that the people who practice it are unaware of it. “It’s the scariest kind of bigotry,” he added. Another defense attorney who has practiced in the state said Valeska was the worst DA he’d ever seen. Another said he’d heard “scary stuff” coming out of Dothan for years.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
My grandpa is from Bessemer Alabama and told me about how cops would plant guns and drugs on black folks. Also told me they would make kids "disappear."

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
taken from the same article. its pretty clear that theres a racial issue there regardless...

On the other hand, no one I talked to who has done criminal defense work in Alabama was surprised by the allegations, and all had negative things to say about Dothan, Houston County, and District Attorney Doug Valeska in particular. (Valeska has been DA there for more than 20 years.) One prominent defense attorney in the state says the county is so rife with racism that he had advised black clients to take plea bargains even when they have corroborating witnesses, simply because white jurors there just tend to assume that black people are lying. He described the racism in the area as so casual and ingrained that the people who practice it are unaware of it. “It’s the scariest kind of bigotry,” he added. Another defense attorney who has practiced in the state said Valeska was the worst DA he’d ever seen. Another said he’d heard “scary stuff” coming out of Dothan for years.

I don't doubt any of that at all.. When I hear stories like this I tend to believe it given the history of this country and the fact that whites run the judicial system through and through. As a black person if you don't have money for a good lawyer you are done and in this case I don't think even a well paid attorney could get black folks out of the system down there in Alabama, the corruption runs too deep.