Dr Dre proved he wasn't top 5 after The Firm debacle

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Not really. One bad project isnt going to affect a legacy thats been set in stone since the 80s
Plus, versatility is overrated imo

The best artists in the game dont cater their style to different audiences. Its always good to push yourself, but mastering every possible technique isnt necessary:yeshrug:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Nas spitting shyt that's not really his type of shyt over beats that ain't his type of beats + 2 super average Mc's and Az.
Then Dr. Dre producing shyt that's really not up his alley for that matter.

The album didn't make sense.

Based on everything about the album except Nas and Az being on it and Dr. Dre producing it.. It all sounded wack from the beginning.

If it was only Az and Nas doing what they do so well, street poetry.. It could've been, should've been and probably would've been a dope album.
It's like Jay-z, Talib, Rocko and Pusha-T doing a backpacker/socially conscious album with Swizz Beatz producing it..

And like the man above said, Dre has handled like 12-13 full project albums and a majority of them are era-defining classics. Few producers in any genre is fukking with that. Over 3 decades, with completely different styles of production, emceeing and on.

Also mixing emcees does not necessarily make a good mix, not even good emcees. You can make a great cocktail with 1 liquor, sometimes with 2, but the more you add the harder it becomes. Wu-tang, N.w.a. and Bone-thugs-n-harmony :whew:

Last edited:

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I said this in another thread, but AZ initially thought the firm was gonna be him & Nas. He stated this in a recent interview. They have great chemistry & it would have been better that way (& I liked Nature & Foxy at the time).

There were too many people involved in the project.

Hell I have this album on my phone. It seems more like an Aftermath/Trackmasters compilation rather than a group album. It "feels" like Nas & AZ are barely on it. Way too many guest appearances. Too many intro/skits. Felt like the project was put together just to showcase other talent (Pretty Boy, Wizard, Dawn Robinson) that were either Aftermath or with Trackmasters.

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What does Dre have to do with how the firm turned out? It was supposed to be a super group. Instead it turned into a B-List compilation album. I still enjoyed it. It just wasn't what it was supposed to be. It don't have shyt to do with Dre.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
This album is one of the most underrated albums in history

The Firm album was fukkin dope

Executive Decision was better than most if not all Nas/AZ collabs

Phone Tap was also one of the best Nas/AZ collabs

This album was fukkin crack, easily a classic

I swear nikkaz talk shyt about critics and then get their opinions from them

Had this shyt got critical acclaim nikkaz would be praising this album

Nature was the weak link of the project and his solo track on there was fukkin crazy

5 minutes to flush>>damn near every hip hop track from the last 5 years

Far as guest appearances go, nikkaz must forget Canibus was one of them

The Firm album was the shyt, if nikkaz came up with their own opinions and stopped callin shyt a let down because everyone else does, they'd see that

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This album is one of the most underrated albums in history

The Firm album was fukkin dope

Executive Decision was better than most if not all Nas/AZ collabs

Phone Tap was also one of the best Nas/AZ collabs

This album was fukkin crack, easily a classic

I swear nikkaz talk shyt about critics and then get their opinions from them

Had this shyt got critical acclaim nikkaz would be praising this album

Nature was the weak link of the project and his solo track on there was fukkin crazy

5 minutes to flush>>damn near every hip hop track from the last 5 years

Far as guest appearances go, nikkaz must forget Canibus was one of them

The Firm album was the shyt, if nikkaz came up with their own opinions and stopped callin shyt a let down because everyone else does, they'd see that
It's dope for what it was. It's still a letdown based on the hype and what is was billed as. Why the fukk was Pretty Boy/Young Gavin on two songs? Why? It was not a supergroup.

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
even the greatest have a dud or 2 in their catalog. not 1 artist doesn't have a bad album in their catalog,no matter the genre :yeshrug:

dr. dre is the greatest hip hop producer of all time. hands downs, bar none. no hip hop producer has put out the quality of music he has. his peak from from 88' to 93' is in a class all by itself :whew:

if dre was strictly west coast then the d.o.c.'s (he from dallas, texas) no one can do it better wouldn't have worked out nor would eminem's (mid west) the slim shady lp and the marshall mathers lp and 50's (east coast) first album either:camby: