Drake is going nowhere...big biz is invested in him. Stop being surprised when he does numbers.

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Until the popularity tide fully turns on Drake due to some unforgivable gaffe, the social media crowd no longer identifying with him (:mjlol:), or a 50 Cent/Ja situation, he and his numbers aren't going anywhere.

Drake has an exclusive deal with Apple, and this isn't some ticky-tacky, sure-throw-him-an-iphone shyt, this is a very important part of Apple's streaming strategy.

There are billions of dollars at stake in streaming music. This is of special importance to Apple because iTunes downloads have lost steam as people stop buying music and increasingly stream it. If people are streaming and not buying music, that makes iTunes (and by extension, Apple products) less attractive.

Apple was late to the game on streaming music, and was playing from behind with Spotify, YouTube, and Pandora. Now, it has 13M+ subscribers...at $10/month that's about $1.6B in yearly revenues. And that's ignoring the premium subs. Having exclusive content is a huge part of what would make switching from a Spotify/Youtube attractive.

By the way, here's Drake announcing the Apple Music service at Apple's WWDC (same event where they announce new iPhones, Apple Watch, etc) in case you need some additional evidence of how crucial he and his music were to Apple Music's rollout and ongoing marketing efforts.

Now, Apple Music is available on non-mac devices, but that's more due to Apple's lateness to the game. Strategically, that's not where they want to live (they like to keep you in Apple's walled garden), but such is the price you pay for being late.

Being the flagship artist for the world's most valuable company confers some advantages. To think Apple doesn't have some vested interest in Drake's success is ludicrous, regardless of what you think of him as an artist.

For example, for those of you who missed it (:flabbynsick:), Aubrey had a headline Snapchat promo for his album release. Those promos cost $750k/day minimum. Granted, you'd expect promo for Drake to have great return on investment, but $750k for a single day's ad? Yeah.

By the way, when you see the world this way, you stop seeing album art choices as this as purely coincidental:

CLRNI8uUAAAGClF.png

I could have expanded this post to be a larger discussion of how Drake's lucked out/made smart moves with large established brands that are slipping or being threatened, like Apple (Google/Spotify), Nike/Jordan (Under Armour), Coca-Cola (health trends) and been able to parlay that into some great deals, but I have other shyt to do.

Feel welcome to call me a hater, just want to give brehs something to :ehh: about.

:salute:

BTW... TC>SFG>V>NWTS=IYRTITL>TML

Last edited:

kem2

Pro
Daps
real talk, I think apple is manipulating Drake's numbers. He's now supposed to do 1.2 mil first week in pure sales, it doesn't match up with the real life response or even social media at all. Views wasn't that hot on Twitter (it only trended for a few hours and 1mil tweets) and they've been clowning it a lot. In real life the reception was mixed even from Drake fans.

They're claiming One Dance has more streams than Hello, which is not realistic.

Digital sales are too easy to manipulate, especially when he has a partnership with Apple.

Jordan>>LeFrozen

It was written in the Bible
Daps
Reppin
NYC
No Jarule situation is going to happen unless a rapper gets a machine behind him. People forget about interscope investing millions into 50 and he had a Eminem cosign. I don't think a machine is standing behind any street or conscious kind of rapper to dethrone drake when that style of rap is not even popular enough. The industry sales is falling and he's bout to sell 1.2 million plus streaming first week. He making too much money for the machine and hip hop right now is in another world then when 50 and Ja were popping

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No Jarule situation is going to happen unless a rapper with some balls to attack him gets a machine behind him. People forget about interscope investing millions into 50 and he had a Eminem cosign. I don't think a machine is standing behind Kendrick Cole or any street/conscious kind of rapper to dethrone drake. The industry sales is falling and he's bout to sell 1 million plus first week. He making too much money for the machine and hip hop is different then when 50 and Ja were popping
First things first, lemme put some respeck on your avy and username. :wow:

And you're probably right on your point about Ja and how it's pretty impossible for something similar to happen. I think Meek was close because he had the juice that summer, but he dropped the ball. The thing about these companies is that they can treat the celebs they endorse like whores...they're useful as far as they're useful, but when the brands no longer align (when that fresh, cool factor is no longer there), they don't hesitate to let them fall back.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
:snoop: stfu with the bullshyt man. Nobody forcing people to bump drake man. And this is not the album to make you blame "big biz"...shyt Jayz hustled and beat the game twice with 2 bullshyt albums with the help of said big biz with Kingdom Come and Magna Carter Holy Grail... Even American Gangster which was a decent album got a lot free publicity from that movie. What other rapper get that kinda push? 50 Cent forever damaged NY Rap with the help of "big biz". So miss me with the bullshyt :camby:

No Jarule situation is going to happen unless a rapper gets a machine behind him. People forget about interscope investing millions into 50 and he had a Eminem cosign. I don't think a machine is standing behind any street or conscious kind of rapper to dethrone drake when that style of rap is not even popular enough. The industry sales is falling and he's bout to sell 1.2 million plus streaming first week. He making too much money for the machine and hip hop right now is in another world then when 50 and Ja were popping
:mjlol: I got nothing against ja's music but this is bs right here...

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:snoop: stfu with the bullshyt man. Nobody forcing people to bump drake man. And this is not the album to make you blame "big biz"...shyt Jayz hustled and beat the game twice with 2 bullshyt albums with the help of said big biz with Kingdom Come and Magna Carter Holy Grail... Even American Gangster which was a decent album got a lot free publicity from that movie. What other rapper get that kinda push? 50 Cent forever damaged NY Rap with the help of "big biz". So miss me with the bullshyt :camby:

:deadmanny:

White America was not checking for American Gangster like that.

And in what world is having your album be the first thing that pops up on the world's most popular App for downloading music, and having that same album promoted on one of the world's most popular Apps (Snapchat) comparable to what we saw w/ Jay.

Dude said American Gangster...:deadmanny:

Magna Carta Holy Grail I'll give you that, but even Jay didn't have that widespread cachet like Drake does to where a push is likely to set things on fire. When was the last time you heard a 21 year old white girl listening to a Jay solo track? :ld:

Jordan>>LeFrozen

Daps
Reppin
NYC
First things first, lemme put some respeck on your avy and username. :wow:

And you're probably right on your point about Ja and how it's pretty impossible for something similar to happen. I think Meek was close because he had the juice that summer, but he dropped the ball. The thing about these companies is that they can treat the celebs they endorse like whores...they're useful as far as they're useful, but when the brands no longer align (when that fresh, cool factor is no longer there), they don't hesitate to let them fall back.

I won't say impossible. Rap is the WWE but it's unlikely. 50 was massive in 2003 his buzz alone could of killed Ja rule and murder inc. meek has a chance to put dents in the armor but he dropped the ball as you said. That ghostwriter shyt and the tent situation did show there's weaknesses though. Just one major rapper to convince us drake ain't poppin. That's what 50 did. He made people feel bad for even accepting Ja rule and his "Cookie Monster" singing as hip hop or gangsta. That rapper gonna need a machine to survive that machine Aubrey got. They was killing meek before he could respond to. Think back to when jay-z made takeover and everybody thought Nas was done, but six months later everybody was seated listening to Ether. Wasnt no one waiting even 3 weeks for meek to respond much less months. This generation is different

Dotcom

OnAComUP
Daps
Until the popularity tide fully turns on Drake due to some unforgivable gaffe, the social media crowd no longer identifying with him (:mjlol:), or a 50 Cent/Ja situation, he and his numbers aren't going anywhere.

Drake has an exclusive deal with Apple, and this isn't some ticky-tacky, sure-throw-him-an-iphone shyt, this is a very important part of Apple's streaming strategy.

There are billions of dollars at stake in streaming music. This is of special importance to Apple because iTunes downloads have lost steam as people stop buying music and increasingly stream it. If people are streaming and not buying music, that makes iTunes (and by extension, Apple products) less attractive.

Apple was late to the game on streaming music, and was playing from behind with Spotify, YouTube, and Pandora. Now, it has 13M+ subscribers...at $10/month that's about $1.6B in yearly revenues. And that's ignoring the premium subs. Having exclusive content is a huge part of what would make switching from a Spotify/Youtube attractive.

By the way, here's Drake announcing the Apple Music service at Apple's WWDC (same event where they announce new iPhones, Apple Watch, etc) in case you need some additional evidence of how crucial he and his music were to Apple Music's rollout and ongoing marketing efforts.

Now, Apple Music is available on non-mac devices, but that's more due to Apple's lateness to the game. Strategically, that's not where they want to live (they like to keep you in Apple's walled garden), but such is the price you pay for being late.

Being the flagship artist for the world's most valuable company confers some advantages. To think Apple doesn't have some vested interest in Drake's success is ludicrous, regardless of what you think of him as an artist.

For example, for those of you who missed it (:flabbynsick:), Aubrey had a headline Snapchat promo for his album release. Those promos cost $750k/day minimum. Granted, you'd expect promo for Drake to have great return on investment, but $750k for a single day's ad? Yeah.

By the way, when you see the world this way, you stop seeing album art choices as this as purely coincidental:

CLRNI8uUAAAGClF.png

I could have expanded this post to be a larger discussion of how Drake's lucked out/made smart moves with large established brands that are slipping or being threatened, like Apple (Google/Spotify), Nike/Jordan (Under Armour), Coca-Cola (health trends) and been able to parlay that into some great deals, but I have other shyt to do.

Feel welcome to call me a hater, just want to give brehs something to :ehh: about.

:salute:

BTW... TC>SFG>V>NWTS=IYRTITL>TML

its actually true... How can u fail selling units...when you the spokes person for the company who make the numbers up lol

mr x

Superstar
Daps
real talk, I think apple is manipulating Drake's numbers. He's now supposed to do 1.2 mil first week in pure sales, it doesn't match up with the real life response or even social media at all. Views wasn't that hot on Twitter (it only trended for a few hours and 1mil tweets) and they've been clowning it a lot. In real life the reception was mixed even from Drake fans.

They're claiming One Dance has more streams than Hello, which is not realistic.

Digital sales are too easy to manipulate, especially when he has a partnership with Apple.

Don't base things off haters being vocal

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
:deadmanny:

White America was not checking for American Gangster like that.

And in what world is having your album be the first thing that pops up on the world's most popular App for downloading music, and having that same album promoted on one of the world's most popular Apps (Snapchat) comparable to what we saw w/ Jay.

Dude said American Gangster...:deadmanny:

Magna Carta Holy Grail I'll give you that, but even Jay didn't have that widespread cachet like Drake does to where a push is likely to set things on fire. When was the last time you heard a 21 year old white girl listening to a Jay solo track? :ld:
So basically you are saying Drake makes music that is attractive to 21 year old white girl? :jbhmm: how is that big business fault?

and yes if Big Business involves backing that other artist dont get then American Gangster definitely qualifies..:ld: Or was it not Ridley Scott who directed it?:jbhmm:

Dotcom

OnAComUP
Daps
if a Jewish person will buy 20 ghostwriters...im sure he is also smart enuff to have the company that sponsors his music, buy the numbers in a boatload lol

FappleMeOff

All Star
Daps

Kendrick could attempt to take down Drake with the Interscope machine. Not sure he'd be successful but he's the only one who could do it :mjlol:

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So basically you are saying Drake makes music that is attractive to 21 year old white girl? :jbhmm: how is that big business fault?

and yes if Big Business involves backing that other artist dont get then American Gangster definitely qualifies..:ld: Or was it not Ridley Scott who directed it?:jbhmm:

Don't be stupid breh. I'm trying to stay civil with you but don't be stupid.

American Gangster as a film made $350M total theatrical and DVD sales over its entire lifetime.

Last year, Apple made $640M a day.

To think the resources brought to the table by the world's most valuable company to those brought by a movie studio...that's damn near absurd.

And to act like the tastes of 21 year old suburban white girls aren't malleable?...:mjlol:

Jordan>>LeFrozen

Daps
Reppin
NYC

I didn't mean musically. I'm talking about politics. In 2016, A gangsta rapper making a album like GRODT and becoming a phenomenon like 50 did in 2003 is not happening. Rap in 2016 ain't rap in 2003 and years prior