Drake vs Kendrick - The Long Game…. :no Diddy:

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
This might be a bit too tin foil but what ever side you fall on (Drake, Kendrick or neutral), I think the industry attack on Drake is too coordinated to not have a long play in mind. A lot of posters have made the point that if you’re getting Drake out the paint, you better have a good idea of what the landscape looks like moving forward because he financially contributes too much to too many stakeholders.

What if however the play isn’t to replace him as the figurehead with another rapper but to shake up a genre that was stagnant by all reports. It was being said that Afrobeats was the new genre of choice that would be prioritised - that’s probably not sustainable though as it’s unlikely that a genre that’s not from the US will dominate the US charts over long term period.

As long as Drake has been on top, the south has been on top for 20 years and while the players have changed, from Wayne, T.I and Jeezy to Future and Thug to Lil Baby, etc, the rap scene doesn’t look that much different to what it looked like in early 2000s - it’s evolved but slowly. The south can only carry the game on its back for so long so what it the play is to bring another region in to pick up the slack and diversify the sound of the genre? New York have the Boom Bap sound which is being led by acts such as Griselda, etc but in terms of radio play and mass market adoption, it’s not gonna move like Trap is/was moving. Chicago and NY Drill in terms of the sound works but they’re too aggressive for the girls to shake ass to.

West Coast however got a scene bubbling on the low - there’s acts like Kalan Fr.Fr, Larry June, Mozzy, G Perico, Greedo, etc who can tour nationally (and in some cases internationally) and in terms of the sound, it’s something that can play nationally like when Mustard had his run 10 years ago. The narrative on the west coast is that the gang politics holds the scene back - outside of the Drake attack lines however, the main line Kendrick has been pushing is that people don’t like the west and the new narrative post ‘Not Like Us’ is that Kendrick has united the coast. The track now is most likely gonna be the new number 1 song on the chart so it’s the perfect Trojan horse to usher in the west coast sound on a national level.

I said in another thread I was confused as to why the producers Kendrick was working with on the diss tracks (Cardo, Alchemist and Mustard) are so openly spitting in Drake’s face when being a producer relies heavily on label relationships and they’ve benefitted reputationally, financially or in terms of critical acclaim working with him. Pushing the west coast sound significantly benefits Cardo and Mustard though and even though Alchemist is more Boom Bap, he’s heaving represents LA so a shift in the scene benefits all.

Why Future, Metro and anyone non-LA affiliated would play into this I don’t know - maybe its opportunity to get out of the top guy’s shadow. Before the beef went full throttle last week though, Drake was posting pictures of Nas’ manager who has been working with Kendrick and has also worked extensively with Future so he seems to think he is a key figure in this. ‘Like That’ and ‘Not Like Us’ going number 1 indicates however that general public is tired of Drake and are ready for a change and this is the perfect opportunity to reset the landscape.

Again very tin foil but I don’t think everything we’ve seen over the past month and a half is by chance.

Cardo from the West?

Jards

All Star
Daps
Cardo from the West?
From Dallas I think. His mainstream production revolves around tracks like God’s Plan, Family Ties and trap influenced stuff like the songs he’s done for Playboi Carti, Baby Keem, etc but he also works with more underground rappers like Larry June, Payroll Giovanni, Jay Worthy, etc where he leans more into a west coast sound:

RennisDeynolds

Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
From Dallas I think. His mainstream production revolves around tracks like God’s Plan, Family Ties and trap influenced stuff like the songs he’s done for Playboi Carti, Baby Keem, etc but he also works with more underground rappers like Larry June, Payroll Giovanni, Jay Worthy, etc where he leans more into a west coast sound:

I mainly associate him with Wiz but he's had a lot of success

Jards

All Star
Daps
I mainly associate him with Wiz but he's had a lot of success
Yep even some of the earlier stuff he’s done with Wiz and Dom had elements of it:

Off topic but Dom needs to get back in the studio with him - we should’ve already had a fully produced Cardo project from him :snoop:

RennisDeynolds

Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Yep even some of the earlier stuff he’s done with Wiz and Dom had elements of it:

Off topic but Dom needs to get back in the studio with him - we should’ve already had a fully produced Cardo project from him :snoop:

I know you not asking for a Dom Kennedy project in 2024 :laff:

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
ChDRLdJUgAAVWLy.jpg

lmao Kobe looked like Kobe was ignoring him

Jards

All Star
Daps
I know you not asking for a Dom Kennedy project in 2024 :laff:
Too right I am - not liked too much of his stuff post Yellow Tape but a Cardo x Dom tape would be hard. Cardo’s got the right sound for him.

He may just not be motivated to rap at this point though, especially post Nipsey passing. Someone was just in his comments telling him that Curren$y has been reaching out for months to do a joint tape but he hasn’t been responding.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Let me get this straight. You think this was an concerted orchestrated attack to damage the second biggest pop act in the world behind Taylor Swift and replace him and that radio and music execs would want him replaced?

Take the tin foil off. It’s just rap beef and Drake flew too close to the sun.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I don't know enough about the industry and who is connected to who but yeah I do agree a group of artists for some reason or for someone decided it's time to end Drake. And it's all people he worked with previously. It's weird, there is some missing information why this is happening.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I don't know enough about the industry and who is connected to who but yeah I do agree a group of artists for some reason or for someone decided it's time to end Drake. And it's all people he worked with previously. It's weird, there is some missing information why this is happening.

There’s not really a lot of missing info. Drake been fukking over his collaborators, lil broing them, and fukking their women and bragging about it for YEARS. He even fukked Lil Wayne’s girl when Lil Wayne was rotting behind a prison cell.

Drake has no loyalties, no honor, and no code of conduct. Amongst MEN that shyt ain’t gonna fly for too long. Caesar was murdered by his OWN people. Shaka Zulu was murdered by his OWN people. King Nero was murdered by his OWN people. What did they all have in common? They were tyrants who got drunk off their own power and belittled their retainers, fukked their wives and abandoned them in their times of need.

“It ain’t your enemy who get you its ALWAYS your own people”- Nas

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
There’s not really a lot of missing info. Drake been fukking over his collaborators, lil broing them, and fukking their women and bragging about it for YEARS. He even fukked Lil Wayne’s girl when Lil Wayne was rotting behind a prison cell.

Drake has no loyalties, no honor, and no code of conduct. Amongst MEN that shyt ain’t gonna fly for too long. Caesar was murdered by his OWN people. Shaka Zulu was murdered by his OWN people. King Nero was murdered by his OWN people. What did they all have in common? They were tyrants who got drunk off their own power and belittled their retainers, fukked their wives and abandoned them in their times of need.

“It ain’t your enemy who get you its ALWAYS your own people”- Nas
OK, this would make sense if the attacks were staggered and less coordinated. It's like they all decided to this together at the same time?! Think of how we got here, "Like That" on an album called "We Don't Trust You", followed by another album called "We Still Don't Trust You" with multiple artists dissing the boy. Multiple dis songs recorded with multiple producers with no leaks?! If it's just some 'fukk that guy' shyt it would be less coordinated. Someone decided this needs to be coordinated most likely for a specific reason and they followed suit in a disciplined manner.

Jards

All Star
Daps
OK, this would make sense if the attacks were staggered and less coordinated. It's like they all decided to this together at the same time?! Think of how we got here, "Like That" on an album called "We Don't Trust You", followed by another album called "We Still Don't Trust You" with multiple artists dissing the boy. Multiple dis songs recorded with multiple producers with no leaks?! If it's just some 'fukk that guy' shyt it would be less coordinated. Someone decided this needs to be coordinated most likely for a specific reason and they followed suit in a disciplined manner.
Producers would have to clear the record after hearing it as well - apparently Alchemist said he didn’t know the beat he made for MTG would be a diss track but there’s no way wouldn’t have heard it before signing it off - especially somebody of his longevity and stature in the game.

Cardo definitely heard it before release as he was posting this beat down gif days before Euphoria was released lool

https://x.com/cardogotwings/status/1783771047071711246?s=46&t=RHw6Dw5-GLY93md3zLbbAw

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Producers would have to clear the record after hearing it as well - apparently Alchemist said he didn’t know the beat he made for MTG would be a diss track but there’s no way wouldn’t have heard it before signing it off - especially somebody of his longevity and stature in the game.

Cardo definitely heard it before release as he was posting this beat down gif days before Euphoria was released lool

https://x.com/cardogotwings/status/1783771047071711246?s=46&t=RHw6Dw5-GLY93md3zLbbAw
See ALC lying and that post tell me ,'no fukkin' leaks allowed'. The reason and how it was spearheaded will come out eventually.

Daps
I don't think it's that deep or a conspiracy. It's probably more about ego and pride. Drake was a suburban, nerdy kid from the burbs that turned into the biggest star in the world and his ego grew out of control. He saw Kendrick was on his heels, started talking reckless, not realizing who he was talking to and word got back. As to why no one is standing with Drake? He got a cosign from Wayne at his height so they TOLERATED him. There was never ACCEPTANCE.

I get money with people I wouldn't give a sandwich to if they were homeless. Kendrick is proven and recognized as one of the best so whatever happened that made him decided to go??? they all realized this may be the moment to finally get him out of the way. To be honest it could be some simple shyt that made Kendrick decide now is the right time.... album rollout, Drake fukked over someone Kendrick is cool with? Who knows...

Edit: It may have been First Person Shooter that may have made him decide to pop out. Kendrick's been out of sight out of mind for a minute and there wasn't a direct shot in the song, but they definitely put him 3rd in the big three.

It starts at probably a minute in. You can stop it once you lose interest.

This video is basically commentary alongside the VLAD interview from 2016 to show he wasn't making shyt up.

Last edited: