Elon Musk Wants To Build Tunnels To Combat Traffic

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
Yes, Musk is serious about his giant tunnel idea, and he's starting to provide details

Elon Musk’s next project may be a bit more … boring than his previous endeavors.

The founder of SpaceX and Tesla is accustomed to flashy enterprises and larger-than-life dreams (that all seem to be coming to fruition), and now, he’s turning his attention to a simple problem that plagues all of us: traffic.

Obviously, the man who conceptualized the Hyperloop has never had the patience for sitting in gridlock, and last December, the entrepreneur took to Twitter to express his frustration, and more important, his solution. “Traffic is driving me nuts. Am going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging…” he wrote cryptically Saturday morning. And just for good measure, he added later, “I am actually going to do this.”

To prove just how serious he really is about his new business venture, Musk even edited his Twitter bio, which now reads, “Tesla, SpaceX, Tunnels (yes, tunnels) & OpenAI.” And as we know, if it’s on Twitter, it must be true.

More: Trump meets with tech heavyweights, counts Elon Musk as an advisor

Tweeting that his yet-to-be-established company would be called the Boring Company, he quipped, “Boring, it’s what we do.” Because don’t you just want to bore a hole in all the cars stuck in front of you for hours on end? Fine, maybe not through the cars themselves, but perhaps underneath them.

Digging a bunch of tunnels does hold the prospect of adding additional lanes to urban areas that can’t easily accommodate more lanes above ground. And given Musk’s track record in other areas, we can at least hope his solution is feasible.

A few months after making his initial proclamation on Twitter, the inventor is back at it with a few more details on his proposed giant tunnel. For starters, it’ll begin “across from my desk at SpaceX,” which is located near “Crenshaw and the 105 Freeway,” about five minutes from LAX. He also addressed concerns about earthquakes, noting that these natural phenomena “tend to have the biggest effect on the surface, like waves on water. That’s why LA can have a (lame, but getting better) subway.”

Ultimately, when asked if he was really serious, he responded simply, “Yup.”

So get excited, friends. We may all become mole people sooner rather than later.

:ehh: Kind of genius tbh. He could make an autonomous grid underground and solve a lot of problems. End traffic, no more fatalities, no pedestrians underground, no air pollution, no noise pollution, etc

Not sure if he's even serious with this endeavor but I hope so. Instead of flying cars we'll be getting chauffeured around underground.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
what could go wrong

This is a good example of the defeatist groupthink problem we've always faced, but seems to be getting worse as modern society continues to divide. Too many complainers and naysayers. Not enough dreamers and doers.

Here's the answer. A lot could go wrong. Sacrifices are made. Lessons are learned. Society advances.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
This is a good example of the defeatist groupthink problem we've always faced, but seems to be getting worse as modern society continues to divide. Too many complainers and naysayers. Not enough dreamers and doers.

Here's the answer. A lot could go wrong. Sacrifices are made. Lessons are learned. Society advances.
defeatist group think? I was asking a legitimate question not being sarcastic or defeatist. Tight asses like you is why more people dont post here

无名的

Superstar
Daps
defeatist group think? I was asking a legitimate question not being sarcastic or defeatist. Tight asses like you is why more people dont post here

Sorry - text is hard to interpret. Sounded rhetorical. The point still applies though. I'm sure you could read the comments in articles covering this and see it reflected.