Elzhi Says Depression & Addiction Fueled New Album "Lead Poison"

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
elzhi-detroit-hat-295x300.jpg

In 2011, Elzhi managed to do the unthinkable. He created a project dedicated to Nas' Illmatic that not only paid tremendous homage to its classic lineage, it also stood tall on its merit in terms of musicianship and creative flair.

The release of Elmatic cemented the official arrival of the Detroit city artist whose biggest claim to fame at the time was keeping the flame lit for the group Slum Village.

Or so the people thought.

After the coronation for Elmatic went cold following top placement on several year-end lists, Elzhi was virtually nowhere to be found. He has now emerged from the shadows with a good reason for the absence that can be categorized under bad circumstances.

While speaking to Noisey, the true-school rapper born Jason Powers attributed his lengthy hiatus to depression and addiction but says the battle was cathartic for the new music that has shaped up to form his latest album, Lead Poison.

"I’ve been away for awhile, and one of the reasons why I’ve been gone is because I’ve been getting chased by this fukking black cloud that I can’t seem to shake," he admitted during a phone interview while out in Paris. "The cloud has been so crazy that it’s made me look at things in ways where, you know my perception is pretty much negative."

He also harbored on embarrassment being a primary reason for keeping fans in the dark regarding his situation.

Nevertheless, fans drew their own conclusions as to why the Kickstarter-backed Lead Poison didn't see a timely release and at the top of the new year, Elzhi found himself facing a potential lawsuit after he raised $37,000 for the project with nary a gasp on a new MP3. (Being seen trekking around Europe didn't help matters, either.)

When asked whether or not he saw from the angry fans' perspective, he replied with a layered answer.

Like I say, perception is a motherfukker," he continued. "Because on one hand, they like to say that El don’t care about his fans. El didn’t give his fans any updates and he don’t really care about his fan base if he’s not letting them know what’s happening in his life. That’s one way to look at it. But the way that I look at it and just being myself and who I am and what I stand for, I think I care too motherfukking much. I don’t want to just slap some shyt on a piece of paper and go in a booth and spit phlegm or whatever and then just throw it out there like, “OK, it’s an album.” I want to put my heart and my soul into a project."

As of press time, Lead Poison is vying for a March 2016 due date via his new label alliance with GLOW365 and will also spawn an iTunes pre-order link soon.

Elzhi Says Depression & Addiction Fueled New Album "Lead Poison"

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Damn. The threat of that lawsuit I'm sure had him going through the hard drive to find some songs to throw together.
:heh:

In all seriousness, I like El has a rhymer and I hope the project is dope. It seems like I haven't heard much from him solo wise since Elmatic.

I'll leave this here.

W.I.Z.E.

Wise poster
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
Wut was he addicted to? Cat is so ill but it seems like a lot of artists struggle with this. From Elzhi to Kev Brown even Nas and J Cole have ouched on this to some extent.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hes not a new rapper but no new rapper is better :wow:

I can wait longer if the product is fuego, let that man get his shyt together so he can bless us with another potential classic :blessed:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
this might be one of his dopest album given the premise or it could be the complete opposite. Hopefully he leaks a tracklist soon
It will be dope, son is one of the few emcees left with honor and respect for the pen, cats like him, Rakim and GZA take a while to get the product out there (laziness to a degree also:ehh:), always making sure the bars are tight, but when they do that shyt is polished:whew:. I have to respect that because that's the level their held up to. I'll gladly take over that over that McDonald's/clone factory shyt Drake is putting out/a part of.:scust:

AFRAM GLORY

Superstar
Daps
Probably messing with that dog food. This dude watched baatin become a full blown fiend with mental health issues and he gon turn around and develop a habit. Mane it really is cold in the D:beli:

Last edited:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Addiction huh? So that's where all the Kickstarter money went. :patrice:

Didn't even mention what the addiction was either.

Nah El falls into that category of Detroit brethren who don't really put themselves out there like that unless they absolutely have to, cats that don't like a lot of personal questions either/kind of just like to move and not be bothered:manny:. If he speaks on it, it will be in the music, similar to how he broke down Baatin on the reunion.

Djalminha

Pro
Daps
Reppin
/UK/Birmingham
this might be one of his dopest album given the premise or it could be the complete opposite. Hopefully he leaks a tracklist soon
1.) “Medicine Man” (produced by Nick Speed)
2.) “Introverted” (produced by Bombay)
3.) “Weedipedia” (produced by Bombay)
4.) “February” (produced by 14KT)
5.) “Egocentric” (produced by Quelle Chris)
6.) “Two 16’s” (produced by Karriem Riggins)
7.) “Hello!!!!!” (produced by Soledad Brother)
8.) “FriendZone” (produced by Oh No)
9.) “The Healing Process” (produced by Joself)
10.) “Cloud” (produced by Bombay)
11.) “Alienated” f/ Smitty (produced by Joself)
12.) “She Sucks” f/ Chris Dave & The Drumhedz (produced by Agor)
13.) “CoSIGN” f/ Skonie (produced by 14KT)
14.) “MisRight” (produced by Bombay)
15.) “The Turning Point” f/ A Poem By Thabisile Griffin (produced by 14KT)
16.) “Keep Dreaming” (produced by Bombay)