Employees are spending the equivalent of a month’s grocery bill on the return to the office–and growing more resentful than ever, new survey finds

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Despite the benefits of remote work for employees, many organizations are abandoning it in favor of returning to the office full-time–or part-time in a hybrid model. A recent survey from BetterUp shows that the number of primarily remote roles has been cut in half–and one out of four organizations cite improved connection and culture as the business rationale behind mandated office returns.
However, our research found that returning to an office often is a major disruption to one’s routine, foundational work, and overall life experience. We surveyed 1,400 full-time U.S. employees who were mandated to return to in-office work and found that they had higher burnout, stress, and turnover intentions. They also had lower trust in their organization, engagement, and productivity levels. Our results indicate that if the return-to-office transition is not handled with a high level of humanity, sensitivity, and empathy, workplace culture suffers, and the workforce’s sense of belonging plummets.

We also found that RTO results in pressure on employees’ flexibility, time, and even bank accounts. If you are struggling to adjust to a mandated return to the office, know that you are not alone.

The main challenges of RTO
There are benefits that come from working in person. For example, research BetterUp has done in partnership with the University of California, Riverside found increased life satisfaction and social connectedness as benefits of in-person interaction over technology-mediated interaction.

While it seems intuitive that people form better working relationships in person, poorly communicated and implemented return-to-office mandates breed resentment toward employers. Resentful employees are less likely to bring their authentic selves to the workplace and less likely to invest in those around them

The most challenging aspect of returning to the office is the commute. This isn’t surprising because commutes of only 30 minutes are linked to higher stress and anger, while 45 minutes or more is linked to poorer overall well-being, daily mood, and health.

What is surprising is the second most challenging aspect of returning to work: the loss of flexibility to switch between work and home tasks for things like accepting a delivery or switching over the laundry between meetings. In a time-starved world, even the smallest time savings can be very important as people attempt to “do it all.”

While some leaders might read this and think “Ah-ha! I knew people were multi-tasking when they should be working!”, the truth is, that remote work is actually a net gain for the organization. Research has found that people in remote work give more total hours to the company.

Evidence from BetterUp suggests agency in choice of work arrangement enables people to find a way of work that can optimize performance and well-being.

We also saw that an organization’s decision to require in-office work represents a financial burden for employees. The average employee returning to the office spends $561 per month on transportation, additional child and pet care, and domestic assistance. That is comparable to the average two-person household’s grocery bill in the U.S. for the entire month.

So what can you do if your employer mandates your return-to-office?

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple Of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bottom of the Lake
Look

If im working from home now and I can run to the store right around the block on my lunch break, wash clothes, wait for packages from amazon or fed ex , cook my own food, avoid traffic and snow( if u live in a snowy city) , etc etc

And now u want me to return to the office, guarantee 90% of returning employees will become resentful and ready to move on from the company

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Look

If im working from home now and I can run to the store right around the block on my lunch break, wash clothes, wait for packages from amazon or fed ex , cook my own food, avoid traffic and snow( if u live in a snowy city) , etc etc

And now u want me to return to the office, guarantee 90% of returning employees will become resentful and ready to move on from the company

Yep

Those employees are gonna be having very :demonic: thoughts and think about leaving as soon as they can

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Look

And if all employers start to enforce a return to the office, where are the employees going to run to?

Henny and_ HotWings

A well seasoned nikka
Daps
Reppin
Bmore stand up!
shyt, my job ain’t NEVER making us come back to the office… I go in like once a month n that’s it. Some months I don’t go in at all… only reason I would wanna come back to the office is (and don’t judge me damn it) I work with A shyt TON of attractive women so, yeah office life ain’t “terrible” but never having to deal with traffic, snow and gas prices again, man that’s worth more than gold.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Look

yup. my office is like 45 minutes from here. I been at the crib the last 4 years, and no one is trying to go back. luckily my job gave up their office lease, so no one is going back. not only do I have to pay for gas, but now I gotta pay for dry cleaning as well. plus I can't go to the gym in the middle of the day anymore.

the last time I went in the office was in 2021, and that was ONLY to turn in my old laptop and get a new one.

we do meet in person, but that's only for team building or for a department outing, and those occur maybe 2 or 3 times annually.