Fashion Icon Andre Leon Talley Dead at 73

invalid

Banned
Daps
If I remember correctly the movie The Devil Wears Prada was based on his story.

RIP.

It was about Anna Wintour, one of Talley’s closest friends and former business partner. She is one of the ones that is said to have did him dirty.

If a character was based off of him in the movie, it was probably him..

P3PUZV6WVZS42MSMKHSODEDAFU.jpg

invalid

Banned
Daps
As soon as you are no longer of value to people they will leave you. It’s easy to say now he should have been about his business but I imagined that he thought it would last forever. Power does that. That why losing power is so painfu

Truth.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Black ppl definitely should. Infiltrate and bring back resources.

They just have to move quietly.
It doesnt work. Even DuBois wrote about this phenomenon after he personally lifted up black people in the 20s, 30s, and 40s. Without failure, they all lost motive to help people in the struggle immediately after they themselves left the struggle. It boggled him at the time, but the same pattern has played out for decades.:francis:

I argue that most black people are insincere about caring about other black people, and only appear to do so because their present existence depends on it. Take away the eminent threat, and their love for other black folk whithers on the vine. I dont even think this phenomenon is unique to black people, because even among whites; those who care most about racial identity are the least established of their group. Think of how wealthy white republicans would gladly replace their poor countrymen with hispanics. Or how wealthy white democrats would do the same with indians or Chinese in tech. Or how the industrialist Carnegie, a formerly poor white man, gladly replaced whites in his factories with black people in the 1890s and 1910s.

Personally, I think you need a better motive for black folk in high places to help other black people. Something as simple as making it profitable for them to aid normal black people might be a good start. But anything resembling obligation, retribution, or "warm fuzzy feelings" aint gonna work.:yeshrug:

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
He was about to be evicted but Covid saved him from that embarrassment. Had he not died he would have ended up homeless.

The Dispossession of André Leon Talley

I’ve thought about this a lot. When he was on top everybody wanted his attention. Fashion houses, millionaires, and everyone in between. He was on top of the world. As soon as he lost his position they all scattered like roaches. It’s all smoke and mirrors, whether it’s fashion, movies or music. As soon as you are no longer of value to people they will leave you. It’s easy to say now he should have been about his business but I imagined that he thought it would last forever. Power does that. That why losing power is so painful.

“They’ll have new nikka next year…”