Five Years After Hack That Took Down LarryStation Network, PSN Is Getting Two-Factor Authentication

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Five Years After Hack That Took Down PlayStation Network, PSN Is Getting Two-Factor Authentication
psnetwork_610a.jpg

It’s been five years since a PlayStation Network intrusion brought Sony’s online gaming service down for more than three week. The result left user data exposed and cost the company $170 million.

Sony is now ready to implement two-factor authentication, a process that helps safeguard user accounts from theft. When using that form of login, users need to provide a code separate from a password and generated on demand.

This can be delivered via text message or using a special smartphone or desktop application. Blizzard uses one for its games, as does EA for its PC Origin service and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Sony confirmed to Polygon that it will be implementing the practice after user images showed up online with evidence. The note about two-factor authentication appears as part of a firmware update distributed yesterday, but only when credentials are rejected.

Sony has not committed to specific timing for the rollout of its two-factor authentication feature. However, the firmware is now primed for when that happens.

[Source: Tuomas Tonteri, Polygon]

Our Take
After suffering a catastrophic hack, it’s a wonder this took as long as it did. Even if the PS3 couldn’t be updated to support two-factor, it should have been a no-brainer for the PlayStation 4 launch. When this goes live, I’d recommend all users take advantage of it.

Five Years After Hack That Took Down PlayStation Network, PSN Is Getting Two-Factor Authentication

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
Is it more annoying that having your identity stolen? :jbhmm:

IMO, yes.

My "identity" has been stolen 2x in life. Both times, all that happened is it resulted in an email from my bank stating a new card would be sent to my residence and I wouldn't be liable for any charges.

Having to type my username and password 2x every time I want to do something on the network is annoying as shyt. My mortgage company does that I hate that shyt.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Somebody stole my identity and filed some bogus tax return a year and a half ago (still fighting with the IRS on this shyt now) :martin:

nikka who stole the shyt used an address I never had in my life and made less than 10 percent of what me and my wife's income is on our joint returns.....and that doesn't even red flag in the IRS system? :why:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
With a fukking cellphone, two-factor authentication is no problem. Glad they're making this move. My PSN password is like 18 randomly generated characters. With 2 factor authentication I can put it back to a normal password. I've been using the Steam two-factor for years. Ain't nobody stealing my shyt :birdman:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Mods get this guy out of here with that flamboyant title. :camby:

That was the absolute WORST period in Sony Stan land :wow: You couldn't say shyt.

"Xbox wack lol"

":childplease: Nikka you can't even get online your shyt hacked."

":mjcry:"

*Plays Ridge Racer offline*
same amount of time it took to get an rrod warranty...if they decided to honor your second one :dead:

Solano707

The Coli's dirty Afro-Mexicano
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California (Live in GA)
IMO, yes.

My "identity" has been stolen 2x in life. Both times, all that happened is it resulted in an email from my bank stating a new card would be sent to my residence and I wouldn't be liable for any charges.

Having to type my username and password 2x every time I want to do something on the network is annoying as s
hyt. My mortgage company does that I hate that shyt.

that's not two form authentication.

two form authentication is a combination of either type 1, 2 or 3

username and password is type 1 authentication

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
it should be optional IMO

Co-sign. Although I wouldn't have a real problem with it if it isn't since it will force me to remember my password. Too avoid hacks I use different passwords to all accounts that has access to my credit/debit cards or other sensitive info. :wow: Sometimes I forget them shyts.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
With a fukking cellphone, two-factor authentication is no problem. Glad they're making this move. My PSN password is like 18 randomly generated characters. With 2 factor authentication I can put it back to a normal password. I've been using the Steam two-factor for years. Ain't nobody stealing my shyt :birdman:
Yeah I'm not understanding the resistance towards this. Are there people with video game systems that don't have smartphones?
I get all my emails for a couple different accounts sent straight to my phone. Last night I installed a new hard drive in my imac. When I installed steam and logged in, it sent an email with a verification code because it was the first time logging on to this new drive. I instantly received it on my phone and entered the code and was on my way in no time. Even if a person only had a regular "non-smart" phone they could still get a code sent via text.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
IMO, yes.

Having to type my username and password 2x every time I want to do something on the network is annoying as shyt. My mortgage company does that I hate that shyt.
That's not 2 step authentication breh