Floyd mayweather vs sweet pea in prime at 147. Who u think would win

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finally, someone on here who's been watching boxing as long as I have. You're absolutely correct. The 4 Kings beat Floyd no question. But according to the preemies on here, Floyd beats them all cuz he's undefeated :mjlol:

nah, lol. its not that simple. I dont like to compare athletes from different eras, but if you are going to do that, a major factor is competition level of their peers. In SRL's day they didnt just have HOFers...they had ALL TIME GREATS. B-Hop is my dude, but he really pales in comparison to Hagler in my eyes. Hagler would absolutely murk someone like GGG. there were killers in every division. Even a guy like Terry Norris, he had an Achille's heel, he was chinny, but he was a perfect offensive machine. He'd kill these JMW's today. Floyd is one of my favs but to be honest, had he been at 147 when ODLH, Tito, Quartey were all there, he may not have been undefeated then. Not that he wouldnt beat all them but its just that the divisions were stacked and you couldnt really fight a tough guy then two tune-ups.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Honestly SD Sweet Pea maybe 6 out of 10 times.
floyd is the bigger man, but I think its hard for him to embrace the role of the guy who is stalking and bringing the pressure behind the jab against someone as unorthodox as Pernell. I think Pernell would have the advantage on the inside and in the mid distance, and that Pernell would be able to take away the jab of Floyd and draw him inside for scoring.

Just my my personal idea though.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly SD Sweet Pea maybe 6 out of 10 times.
floyd is the bigger man, but I think its hard for him to embrace the role of the guy who is stalking and bringing the pressure behind the jab against someone as unorthodox as Pernell. I think Pernell would have the advantage on the inside and in the mid distance, and that Pernell would be able to take away the jab of Floyd and draw him inside for scoring.

Just my my personal idea though.

Floyd's strength is his thinking ability. He never really had guys that could pressure him AND box him at the same time. There is always a huge disparity in boxing skills in Floyd's fights. The one time he really had a problem with the jab was against Oscar. Oscar is no Pernell. Think of Pernell jabbing Floyd, meanwhile making him miss. Nobody makes Floyd miss. Put it like this....not saying Floyd couldnt beat Sweet Pea, but you can be damn sure he wouldnt be able to pot-shot his way to a victory. There is no pot-shotting Whitaker.

Mr. Leonidas

All Star
Daps
Floyd's strength is his thinking ability. He never really had guys that could pressure him AND box him at the same time. There is always a huge disparity in boxing skills in Floyd's fights. The one time he really had a problem with the jab was against Oscar. Oscar is no Pernell. Think of Pernell jabbing Floyd, meanwhile making him miss. Nobody makes Floyd miss. Put it like this....not saying Floyd couldnt beat Sweet Pea, but you can be damn sure he wouldnt be able to pot-shot his way to a victory. There is no pot-shotting Whitaker.

And you just nailed it- Mayweather's career, success and legacy are as much help a testament to very strategic matchmaking as it is to his skills.He rarely fought fighters in their primes, usually had the reach advantage and/or height advantage, and a lot of brawlers instead of boxers.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
whitaker was more of a jab guy. mayweather is more of a sharp shooter.

now whenever you hear anybody say whitaker was hard to hit that is no exaggeration.

UHTAizKQ.gif

maybe your eyes are different than my eyes. but my eyes dont see whitaker being hit by any mayweather right hands or very many mayweather counters. my eyes dont see mayweather being hit by very many whitaker counters too. but my eyes can see whitaker working a steady jab. my eyes can see whitaker throwing more punches and not just trying to throw one punch at a time.

whitaker was not really a check hook guy. he showed you upper body movement he forced you to overextend your punches and then he countered you. james toney was a guy who showed you upper body movement to make you overextend your right hand which was the only way to hit toney with a right hand. when you overextended your right hand you fell over onto his right uppercut.

whitaker, same thing.

wQcDBWYG.gif

whenever you see whitaker doing this to a guy what he is trying to do is pull in your jab or your right hand through the space that he has next to his right ear and over his right shoulder and then come back over.

eWlEMMyq.gif

when mayweather is going to try to steal a right hand whitaker is going to try to bend down and away and come back over.

FkKo2jwl.gif

when whitaker is going to try to throw a jab mayweather is going to try to come over with a check hook or counter with a right hand.

TP7nvrIm.gif

whitaker is going to try to create mayweathers counter right hand and take the counter right hand he just created through the space that he has next to his right ear and over his right shoulder and then come back over.

qG1Vkjod.gif

these are some of the cat and mouse games you may see from whitaker and mayweather.

who wins? at any weight, whitaker.

Last edited:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
And one more thing you ignorant underdeveloped dumbass- next time you try to google boxing info to act like you know something about the sport, take your time when you come up with the bullshyt. If you actually listened and understood what was being said in the video you would have heard that Floyd was talking about FRANKIE RANDALL when he said he didn't want to upstage him and ruin the relationship. He said he was 17 and didn't go hard against Frankie, not Sweet Pea. Now get out of my sight before you embarrass yourself even more online.

Naturally gifted Floyd Mayweather Jr. gets it done with hard work, perseverance

Mayweather turned 17 a month after Randall's win over Chavez. He'd been essentially living on his own for a while, particularly after his father was imprisoned for selling drugs the previous year.

Randall had heard about Mayweather – pretty much anyone in professional boxing had, and nearly all of them thought he was a cinch to win a gold medal at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta – and so he invited Mayweather to train with him.

Soon, Randall and Mayweather became fast friends, living together in Randall's home on a golf course. It was Randall who gave Mayweather the taste for the finer things in life that he now so enjoys.

"He was the first guy to buy me Versace shades," Mayweather said.

When Mayweather walked into the ring the first time to spar Randall, he was shocked. He could hit Randall pretty much at will, but Randall was unable to hit him.

That presented the teenager with a quandary: Did he fight hard, and essentially embarrass the newly crowned champion, or did he take it a bit easy so that Randall would keep him around?

"I boxed him light," Mayweather said. "I didn't box him hard. We hung out and I wanted to keep our friendship. … I wanted to remain friends."

Shelly Finkel, one of the sport's leading managers for more than two decades, was at his peak at the time and had a stable of elite fighters led by superstars Evander Holyfield and Pernell Whitaker.

Finkel, like most top managers, was desperate to get Mayweather signed to a contract when he turned pro, which was expected to be after the Atlanta Olympics. So, Finkel would send money to Mayweather to help him with his expenses and, in essence, try to remain in his good graces.

Finkel brought Mayweather to Norfolk, Va., to train with Whitaker, whom many at the time believed was the best fighter in the world.

"Way, way back, long before the Olympics, anybody who knew boxing knew he'd be a star," Finkel, now a concert promoter, said of Mayweather. "He was the guy. You knew he was going to do big things. He was brought up in a boxing family and he was so dedicated to the sport.

"There's so much hype around him now for things outside of the ring; the money and the cars and the flashiness and what not. But the truth of the matter is, the reason he's successful is that he trains his [expletive] off. I don't know if there is anybody in the game who works harder, and he was that way even back then when he was a kid."

Mayweather was one of several amateurs, along with Zahir Raheem and Zab Judah, who went to Norfolk to train with Whitaker in 1994.

Mayweather wouldn't say much about how the sparring went.

"I've got respect for champions," he said. "It was good work for both of us. That's all I'll say."

Ronnie Shields, now one of the sport's best trainers, was an assistant trainer under George Benton at the time working with Whitaker. He was there to see Whitaker and Mayweather spar. And while he said Whitaker had few problems with the 17-year-old prodigy, it was obvious that Mayweather was destined to be a superstar.

"Pernell handled him, like he handled all of those guys," Shields said. "He wasn't hitting them hard, just playing with them, going down low like he did and fighting with his hands at his side. They couldn't hit him. But remember, Pernell was the best in the world at the time. When Mayweather was in there, even though he was having trouble with Pernell, it was obvious how good the kid was.

"Pernell is a guy who doesn't give out a lot of compliments. He didn't want to say anything about another fighter, because he didn't like the idea of anyone upstaging him. But I remember him saying to me, 'Man, this kid is good right now.' He said to Floyd, 'You stay with this and you remain dedicated, ain't nobody going to touch you.' "

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
ive always said that sweet pea was the best defensive fighter ive seen in my boxing lifetime..when you have ATGs like azumah nelson frustrated, looking average, and having him say "this is some bullshyt"..you're a bad motherfukker

Exactly