Football Heads. Why Do White WR's Still Flourish in the NFL?

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
But there hasn't been a starting white CB of any substance since Seahorn?

Does it all come down to "hips"?

Is the skill set to run backwards that much differently than running routes forwards?

The thought crossed my mind watching Decker last night...

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Well there's only a few, decker one of the few that can stretch the field

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Feel like it's easier to run a route and get open than it is to actually cover someone :yeshrug:

That's what I'm asking.. Is it all about the first 5-10 yards where the jamming and back peddling occur?

There are still white OLBs that can drop cover elite TE's... There can also handle FS at times.. There are ZERO white corners...

Billy Hoyle

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Auburn
But there hasn't been a starting white CB of any substance since Seahorn?

Does it all come down to "hips"?

Is the skill set to run backwards that much differently than running routes forwards?

The thought crossed my mind watching Decker last night...
You have to be an athletic freak to be a cornerback because you don't know what the receiver is doing.

If a receiver runs good routes and has a good eye for how a defense is developing, he can get open. He doesn't necessarily have to be crazy athletic (compared to another NFL player).

I'd also say that white boys in general probably don't get very much play at CB. If they're fast and the appropriate size, the coach will usually play them at either safety, rb, or wr.

Last edited:

Professor Mac

Im African not black
Daps
Don't give Decker too much credit... Buffalo's defense is undiciplined like a muggafugga

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
yup CB's make quicker cuts and need to react to a WR who knows which direction he's going while back pedaling. CB's go by instinct. They are also the most agile players on the field. Notice how many CB's are punt/kick returners.

CB is arguably the hardest position to play in sports. You're guessing every play.

The best athletes usually play CB.

White guys are usually not the best athletes.