For anybody that directly grew up bumping Heavy D and Kid N Play…

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
….can y’all actually pinpoint when you considered they “fell off”? I was only listening to Kid N Play through their movies and can only recall the backend of Heavy D’s career, basically some stuff after ‘Waterbed Hev’.

:whoo::whoo:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I was a kid but I listened to both

It's hard to pinpoint Kid N Play because I started listening to rap at 5, but I didn't really know what was going on. My older cousins would play music videos all day, and I just listened to what they bumped. And they had Kid N Play posters on the wall. But it felt well before I had my own sense of who I liked, they wasn't poppin. By time I actually carved out what I enjoyed, which was around '93-94-ish they was done done.

Heavy D is tougher because he always felt like a big deal until I guess the late 90s. I don't know if he was even making music during the mid 90s but he still felt like he was important. It wasn't until by time he came back with Waterbed Hev it felt like nikkas didn't care anymore as a whole.

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
KnP - not sure, they kinda faded away musically, but the movies and cartoon extended their run. Their brand of rap was done, unfortunately.

Heavy - Gangsta takeover and BIG crushing the whole lane. He fell back into production and acting. He would be a real industry force had he not died. I think he could have made a comeback in this climate.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I was a BIG fan of Kid N Play and Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince because they were the only rap I could listen to in the house for a period of time. With Kid N Play, like @TripleAgent said their run was kind of extended by the movies and other stuff they had a hand in. They were the FIRST rappers to have their own cartoon and their own comic book. They were in Sprite commercials. They were on Sesame Street. They really wrung the most out of their run that they possibly could before gangsta rap and street East Coast rap took over completely; and even then they had a top 40 hit in 91 with Ain’t Gonna Hurt Nobody.

Drizzy Dre

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It went from party hip hop with Kid & Play and Heavy D to the conscious stuff with the Jungle Bros. movement, and then gangsta rap.

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Did Heavy D really have a fall off? :patrice:Seems like he could always pop back in with a hit for the ladies like LL. If there was a falling off, like stated earlier, it was when the hardcore rap started taking over. I do believe Big & Heavy with BIG would have been his come back.

Heavy was dope and underrated, but, between gangsta rap and Biggie, he was more or less done. BIG was doing Heav bigger and better than Heav. Completely overshadowed.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
kid n play style of music phased out. hev changed his style a lot but he could always fall back on lover boy records. that's how he started out after all

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
When NWA took off it was a different environment for a lot of artists who made "fun" music. Hev, KnP, De La, Jeff & Prince...the labels threw money at everybody else trying to be the next tough guy, and more balanced stuff got steadily squeezed out.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
probably some time after this video…around 92/93 is when hardcore hip hop pretty much took over

*edit*

nah I’m wrong cuz ‘nuttin but love’ dropped after this and it was a big song