Gang Starr's Moment of Truth 20th Anniversary Thread

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I was going to wait a couple hours to make this, but it's never too early to start celebrating. :mjgrin:

359-1998.jpg

71FxBKel-GL._SL1240_.jpg

This is definitely Gang Starr's best album, but that's not really enough. This is an undeniable classic and deserves its place among the Illmatics, Chronics, and 36 Chambers of the world.

Both Guru and Premier ascended to godlike status from a lyrical and production standpoint, respectively. Guru slaughtered every song, and Premier gave him the best package of beats he had created up to that point. So many tracks are filled with soul and raw emotion, and you can tell that they knew they had to step it up after everything that happened to Guru during the four-year break (his gun charge).

First Gang Starr album to receive a Gold plaque. :wow:

The first half alone sets it off with classic song after classic song. :wow:

Guru's best lyrical performance since Step in the Arena, and his delivery/flow was A1 in ways never heard before. :wow:

Premier crafting a movie soundtrack's worth of lush, intense, soulful, hardcore production. :wow:

The clean, crisp mixing/mastering, putting every other Gang Starr album to shame. :wow:

The little interviews and sound bites scattered throughout the album which tell a great story and let you know how personal this was. :wow:

Memorable guest appearances from K-Ci & JoJo, Inspectah Deck, M.O.P., Freddie Foxx, Krumbsnatcha, and Scarface.
:wow:

A certified Coli Classic with an 83.3% approval rating. :wow:

The typo made in the Source review that accidentally gave the album 4.5 mics. :troll:

tumblr_ljwn9dLkKo1qby2ipo1_1280.jpg

Let's pop some bottles and cut the cake. :ahh:

@Inspect Her Deck @mobbinfms @BmoreGorilla @PhonZhi
@The Ruler 09 @Deltron
@g-ice @hex
@stomachlines @Zero

Moment-Of-Truth-2-picture.jpg

#underground #fromyourownmind

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
I leave scientists mentally scarred, triple extra large
Wild like rock stars who smash guitars
Poison bars from the gods bust holes in your mirage
And catch a charge, shake 'em down like the riot squad

Inspectah Deck "Above the Clouds"

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
I'll never forget - The Militia was the first Premo beat I ever heard. It was on some "Best of 98" tape. Became an instant fan. It was the hardest shyt I'd ever heard. :wow:

Nowadays, I listen to "Above The Clouds" the most. "Royalty" is beautiful as well.

Trapped

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's a shame that in retrospect Guru is not named among the greats such as Pac, Big, Pun and others...he wasn't the most lyrical, he was monotone at times, but if you listened to his words of wisdom :blessed:

Love GangStarr, ONE OF THE BEST YET!