Germany’s ruling Social Democratic Party (SPD) plans to curb rent increases

Good move?

• Total voters

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
They should just cap it at 3-5% for the 3 years instead of freezing rents. You can freeze rents all you want but property taxes, income taxes, maintenance, etc are all going up across the board.

This is Germany not America they actually like their people. I bet their property taxes make sense.

Mook

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
They should just cap it at 3-5% for the 3 years instead of freezing rents. You can freeze rents all you want but property taxes, income taxes, maintenance, etc are all going up across the board.

This is Germany not America they actually like their people. I bet their property taxes make sense.

ADevilYouKhow

Rhyme Reason
Daps
Reppin
got a call for three nines

:heh:

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel

German property taxes range from 0.25-1%.

Property tax rates in my state, MA, are 0.5-2%

So not THAT much difference. Germany previously had a 20% cap on rental increases so I'm not seeing anything thats all too different than the US.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Rent increases should be chained to CPI.

And then we have to get employers to give pay increases that are in line with CPI.

Until employers get on board with the idea that humans need cost of living increases not much is going to change here (US).

Mook

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh

So not THAT much difference. Germany previously had a 20% cap on rental increases so I'm not seeing anything thats all too different than the US.

The fact that real estate is fukked up worldwide is a clear indication that it’s corporations buying up the properties. None of this will be fixed if the countries don’t penalize owning multiple properties, I THINK.

Mook

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh

The fact that real estate is fukked up worldwide is a clear indication that it’s corporations buying up the properties. None of this will be fixed if the countries don’t penalize owning multiple properties, I THINK.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Landlords in America are going :damn: at the thought of this happening in a 1st world country. They cannot fathom lowering their profit intake for the good of society as a whole.

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Landlords in America are going :damn: at the thought of this happening in a 1st world country. They cannot fathom lowering their profit intake for the good of society as a whole.

You mean besides all of the landlords that had rents & evictions frozen during Covid?

Can you explain how you want landlords to "lower their profit" while there's rampant inflation, the cost of maintenance is way up, property taxes are way up, mortgage interest rates are triple what they were two years ago, etc.

Most landlords aren't giant corporations and most make 5-10% cash on cash returns in their investment properties. Those aren't "heavy profit" margins that leave a lot of room to lower rent.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

this is late-stage capitalism, this is why they escaped from europe in droves because all the nobles, merchants, kings and wealth class owned everything. they spread their economic ideology to the world and here we are with nowhere to escape to.

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando
You mean besides all of the landlords that had rents & evictions frozen during Covid?

Can you explain how you want landlords to "lower their profit" while there's rampant inflation, the cost of maintenance is way up, property taxes are way up, mortgage interest rates are triple what they were two years ago, etc.

Most landlords aren't giant corporations and most make 5-10% cash on cash returns in their investment properties. Those aren't "heavy profit" margins that leave a lot of room to lower rent.
No. I think he means the ones that were ALL reimbursed through the American Rescue Plan. :gucci:

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No. I think he means the ones that were ALL reimbursed through the American Rescue Plan. :gucci:
*if the tenant wasn't a POS and actually applied for aid, sure.

There's plenty of stories of non-paying tenants that cost small time landlords their shirt due to the eviction moratorium.