Gerth: White Kentucky politician who opposes DEI tells NAACP: ‘My father was a slave’

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Gerth: White Kentucky politician who opposes DEI tells NAACP: ‘My father was a slave’​

Joseph Gerth

Louisville Courier Journal

[COLOR=hsl(var(--xf-editorFocusColor))]
4fae391f-5d26-45d7-b06b-8c2bed338f6f-SB150_02.jpg
[/COLOR]
Rep. Jennifer Decker, R-Waddy, talked about House Bill 470 in the Capitol Annex in Frankfort. The measure, which she sponsored, passed out of the Senate Families and Children Committee on March 14, 2023."

State Rep. Jennifer Decker went before the Shelbyville Area NAACP a week and a half ago and gave its members some pretty startling news.

Decker is a white, 68-year-old lawyer who is trying to prohibit state colleges and universities from offering diversity programs aimed at helping African Americans and other underrepresented students.

“My father was a slave, just to a white man and he was white,” Decker said before the predominantly Black audience.

Decker’s father was a white preacher. He was born sometime around 1933 – that was 68 years after the 13th Amendment outlawed slavery.

It was a moment that, in many ways, proved how badly diversity, equity and inclusion programs – this year’s chosen bogeyman of Kentucky’s right-wing politicians – are needed in Kentucky’s schools.

Such diversity programs weren’t around when Decker was in school.

If they had been, she might have learned that few white people in America, short of those who have been trafficked for sex, should ever claim something like that. It’s deeply offensive to those who are descendants of actual slaves to hear a white person claim that they are a descendent of a slave.

Heck, it’s offensive to me and I’m as white as Decker.

It really is difficult to compare the life of a white person in the mid-20th century with the atrocities that white people in America did to Black people before the Civil War.

Here’s how this craziness started.

Decker said the NAACP invited her to speak to them on Feb. 1 about House Bill 9 – the bill she sponsored along with 19 other lily-white Republicans – to stop schools from offering educational opportunities and programs based on race.

She also threw in sex, national origin and religious beliefs. But make no mistake about this − it’s all about race.

During her presentation, she spoke as if the only purpose of what are called “diversity, equity and inclusion” programs, is to increase Black enrollment.

That couldn’t be further from the truth. At the University of Kentucky, the diversity, equity and inclusion office operates a program to help students with disabilities; it provides counseling for students who have been harmed by racism, and other services.

The school’s Disability Resources Center offers a wide range of services from providing transportation to helping the deaf and hearing impaired to helping students with food allergies and celiac disease.

The program at UK offers organizations for employees that are based on race, place of origin, sexual orientation, religion and disability. The diversity program even operates an organization for employees who are veterans.

The counseling program to deal with trauma caused by racism is offered through the same counseling center that helps students who are struggling with all kinds of issues – not just race or sexual orientation – that can affect college students.

It also works to incorporate unconscious bias training for employees and DEI learning modules into some of its entry-level classes.

Outrageous stuff, huh?

And racism and discrimination goes on at UK. It was just last school year that a drunken student attacked a resident assistant at UK’s Boyd Hall and repeatedly called her the “n-word.” Following that, UK sank more money into its diversity program.

At the University of Louisville, they offer the same sorts of programs, including the Muhammad Ali Institute for Peace and Social Justice.”

Oh, the horror!

By the way, I can’t find anything that suggests a white male, straight Christian wouldn’t be allowed to take part in these programs, except for obtaining scholarships.

But anyway, according to an audio recording of the meeting provided to The Courier Journal, during a question-and-answer session, someone asked Decker if her family played any role in the slave trade.

“My father was born on a dirt farm in Lincoln County. His mother was the illegitimate daughter of a very prominent person who then was kind enough to allow them to work for him as slaves. So, if you’re asking, did we own slaves? My father was a slave, just to a white man and he was white,” Decker responded.

It got me wondering what in the world she was talking about.

So, I tracked down Decker before she went onto the House Floor Friday morning and began to ask about her comments about her father.

“Irrelevant, irrelevant.” she said. “My father’s past poverty is a great equalizer.”

I didn’t quite understand that, so I tried a different tack and asked her how she defines slavery.

“Irrelevant,” was her answer again.

Slavery is irrelevant?

“Well, it’s not irrelevant,” she said. “No. It’s not irrelevant what slavery is, but it’s shifting the focus from what we’re talking about.”

Then I told her that claiming a white man, in the middle of the 20th century, was a slave was weird and that I was just trying to understand what she was talking about at the NAACP meeting.

“Well, my father was born into poverty. There was a very influential man who allowed them property and then they worked on it,” she said. She added that they weren’t paid by the farmer.

It sounded like a tenant farmer operation to me. Certainly not a way to make a fortune but far from what slaves endured.

She then said that she “probably overstated. Was I saying that it was kidnapping and abuse the same as the slaves? No.”

But why was he working for no pay?

“He was a child and his family all worked there,” she said.

So, Decker’s father was forced by his parents to do chores? And that was what made him a “slave?”

I suppose any of us who washed dishes, cut grass or took out the garbage were "slaves" according to Decker's definition.

What’s stunning about this is both at the NAACP and when I spoke with her, Decker fell back on the notion that her family found its way out of poverty through education.

I don’t doubt that. That’s how many families escape poverty.

What’s sad is that Decker, a white lawyer, and 19 of her white Republican coworkers are making it more difficult for Black families that really are descendants of enslaved people to get the same sort of education.

Joseph Gerth can be reached at 502-582-4702 or by email at jgerth@courierjournal.com.

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
“My father was a slave, just to a white man and he was white,” Decker said before the predominantly Black audience.
“Irrelevant, irrelevant.” she said. “My father’s past poverty is a great equalizer.”
Well, my father was born into poverty. There was a very influential man who allowed them property and then they worked on it,” she said. She added that they weren’t paid by the farmer.

He was a child and his family all worked there,” she said.
See this is why black people need to question everything these other races say about us, because they're constantly trying to equate their minor issues with our struggle.

"My family came from nothing and we worked hard"

"My people were slaves too"

"We get discriminated like you all"

All lies that these monkeys like to tell us to minimize our history and experiences.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
It got me wondering what in the world she was talking about.

So, I tracked down Decker before she went onto the House Floor Friday morning and began to ask about her comments about her father.

I didn’t quite understand that, so I tried a different tack and asked her how she defines slavery.

“Irrelevant,” was her answer again.

Slavery is irrelevant?

“Well, it’s not irrelevant,” she said. “No. It’s not irrelevant what slavery is, but it’s shifting the focus from what we’re talking about.”

Then I told her that claiming a white man, in the middle of the 20th century, was a slave was weird and that I was just trying to understand what she was talking about at the NAACP meeting.

“Well, my father was born into poverty. There was a very influential man who allowed them property and then they worked on it,” she said. She added that they weren’t paid by the farmer.

It sounded like a tenant farmer operation to me. Certainly not a way to make a fortune but far from what slaves endured.

She then said that she “probably overstated. Was I saying that it was kidnapping and abuse the same as the slaves? No.”

“He was a child and his family all worked there,” she said.

So, Decker’s father was forced by his parents to do chores? And that was what made him a “slave?”
:mjlol:epic Juelzing from that cac

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
what is this stupid old bytch talking about?
"I support racist policies, racist people, and have been accused of racism. I do not want you to call me a racist or suggest that any of my actions were motivated by racism despite the results of those actions being your disenfranchisement"

She's just a typical spineless white supremacist who doesn't just want to admit that she hates black people and that hate is motivated by the fear that black people will make her irrelevant at best, and make people like her experience even one tenth of the wrath we have been subject to at worst.

Daps
I watched this a few days ago. Loved how dude knew history and represented for Southern folks.
At some point he talks about share cropping. Taught me some history.
Great thread.

Did you peep how the CAC tried to say everything that happened before was in the past? And that we should just move on?

fukk this racist CAC I see undertones all the time.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
If her father really was a slave, that would still be a testiment to how easy white folks have it, to go from Slavery to State Rep in a single generation.
Guarantee there wasn't many black children of slaves who later got elected to state rep.

But we all know she BSing anyway

Last edited:

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Did you peep how the CAC tried to say everything that happened before was in the past? And that we should just move on?

Yeah, I was more so amazed with the family, and even the vibe at the supermarket.
When posters would say blk americans need to return to the south.
This video made me understand why.

If they could control more acres of land, get better equipment, they would be multi multi millionaires.

KeysT

Playa from the Himalayas #ByrdGang
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia

That’s the thing with his videos. The whiteness always jumps out.

Daps

White people never have any interest for facing consequences of their actions in the past or present. Look at the way these white people who stormed the capital act as if they didn't break any laws and as if what they did was perfectly legal.

Now how do you think they'd react if black folks did that? They'd be calling for us to be exterminated in mass, including people that weren't even there.

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
White people never have any interest for facing consequences of their actions in the past or present. Look at the way these white people who stormed the capital act as if they didn't break any laws and as if what they did was perfectly legal.

Now how do you think they'd react if black folks did that? They'd be calling for us to be exterminated in mass, including people that weren't even there.
They're the biggest law-and-order braindead sheep out there when black people are murdered unjustly, but when Ashli Babbitt, one of their kind, is justifiably killed for acting like a savage animal, they act like she was a victim of police brutality.