Do you use the word "bag" to refer to money?

• Yes (Ages 0-24)

• No (Ages 0-24)

• Yes (Ages 25-34)

• No (Ages 25-34)

• Yes (Ages 35-44)

• No (Ages 35-44)

• Yes (Ages 45-54)

• No (Ages 45-54)

• Yes (Ages 55+)

• No (Ages 55+)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Constanza

Rookie
Daps
When did people start saying this?

I hear a lot of NBA broadcasters saying it this year, I'd bet a tenfold increase over last year-- if the term was used at all.

I don't recall hearing it until a couple of months ago and now it is suddenly the dominant way of saying cash. The currency of "bag" as a way of referring to money is through the roof... I'm sure people were saying it before I noticed but it seems to be a popular bandwagon.

Constanza

Rookie
Daps
HOW OLD IS TOO OLD TO USE SLANG WORDS?

I remember the first time a young person used a word I had never heard before. I was 27 and hanging out with a friend and his teenage daughter. She called another girl “ratchet” and I was floored. How could a word be so widespread that it just slipped off her tongue, under the assumption that I would know it? Years and slang terms have come and gone since that day, and I’ve added many of them to my vocabulary, but “ratchet” will always stand between me and my youth.

A new survey asked people when someone is TOO OLD to use slang terms like “bae” and “hangry.” I would’ve voted for something like age 12, but they didn’t ask me.

The majority of people say you need to stop using slang terms when you hit 43. But one in four people think you need to stop when you’re 25.

The survey also found the slang terms we find the most annoying. And here are some of the highlights:

1. GOAT, which stands for “Greatest Of All Time.”

2. Bae, which people use instead of “baby” for their significant other.

3. Hangry, which means you’re so hungry you’re angry.

4. Fleek, which means “on point.”

5. Clap back, which is a slang way of saying “retort.”

See the video for this story here.

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
When did people start saying this?

I hear a lot of NBA broadcasters saying it this year, I'd bet a tenfold increase over last year-- if the term was used at all.

I don't recall hearing it until a couple of months ago and now it is suddenly the dominant way of saying cash. The currency of "bag" as a way of referring to money is through the roof... I'm sure people were saying it before I noticed but it seems to be a popular bandwagon.

how old are you?

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
HOW OLD IS TOO OLD TO USE SLANG WORDS?

I remember the first time a young person used a word I had never heard before. I was 27 and hanging out with a friend and his teenage daughter. She called another girl “ratchet” and I was floored. How could a word be so widespread that it just slipped off her tongue, under the assumption that I would know it? Years and slang terms have come and gone since that day, and I’ve added many of them to my vocabulary, but “ratchet” will always stand between me and my youth.

A new survey asked people when someone is TOO OLD to use slang terms like “bae” and “hangry.” I would’ve voted for something like age 12, but they didn’t ask me.

The majority of people say you need to stop using slang terms when you hit 43. But one in four people think you need to stop when you’re 25.

The survey also found the slang terms we find the most annoying. And here are some of the highlights:

1. GOAT, which stands for “Greatest Of All Time.”

2. Bae, which people use instead of “baby” for their significant other.

3. Hangry, which means you’re so hungry you’re angry.

4. Fleek, which means “on point.”

5. Clap back, which is a slang way of saying “retort.”

See the video for this story here.
If you are living by constructs of what an adult is supposed to be doing by a certain age..
You lost..
Only thing that matters when you meet a viable age is..
Taking care of business(ie yourself)
Working towards goals and achieving what’s in your heart..
Properly eating and working out..
Dealing with emotional demons..
Providing a safe place for yourself(significant other/child)..
As long as you are doing these things..
The way you dress and talk(outside of a professional setting)..
Doesn’t matter and isn’t an indicator of intelligence..

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol, I'm 34. I don't listen to Gucci Mane.

How old are you? Does everyone you know say that?

What kind of "Don't trust anybody over 30" twerp are you?

plenty of people, i trust over 30.

plenty of people on here that i trust over 30.

you're acting weird as hell.

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
Lol, I'm 34. I don't listen to Gucci Mane.

How old are you? Does everyone you know say that?

i'm 23. it was common, buts its old asf now. only similar thing I say is, "blow a bag"

Constanza

Rookie
Daps
If you are living by constructs of what an adult is supposed to be doing by a certain age..
You lost..
Only thing that matters when you meet a viable age is..
Taking care of business(ie yourself)
Working towards goals and achieving what’s in your heart..
Properly eating and working out..
Dealing with emotional demons..
Providing a safe place for yourself(significant other/child)..
As long as you are doing these things..
The way you dress and talk(outside of a professional setting)..
Doesn’t matter and isn’t an indicator of intelligence..

The way you dress and talk is an indicator of both intelligence and maturity.

The fact that highfalutin speech is not necessary to prove intelligence does not mean there is no link between vocabulary and intelligence. The words one can use does speak to intelligence and the words one chooses to use speak to maturity.

A 17 year old whose language changes from week to week based on trends adopted by others can be forgiven for being so easily influenced. A 34 year old-- twice that age-- cannot be said to be unintelligent based on constant adoption of the latest slang. It is, however, a reason to question that person's mental maturity and fortitude. A grown man should have his own developed vocabulary, not rely on others to shape it out of a desire to be cool. It's a sign of weakness.

Also, @Kiyoshi-Dono... You lost and will continue to lose with priorities that center only yourself and fail to work for community and humanity. The world is not here for you.

Constanza

Rookie
Daps
plenty of people, i trust over 30.

plenty of people on here that i trust over 30.

you're acting weird as hell.

*sigh*

You're acting young as hell. If you don't understand, you should ask rather than being disrespectful toward your elders.

"Don't trust anyone over 30"

Jack Weinberg is the person who coined the saying "Don't trust anyone over 30". The saying exists in several variants, such as "Never trust anybody over 30". Origination of the saying has been wrongly attributed to Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin, the Beatles, and others. In November 1964, Weinberg was interviewed by a reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle working on a story about the Free Speech Movement. Weinberg tells the story like this:

I was being interviewed by a newspaper reporter, and he was making me very angry. It seemed to me his questions were implying that we were being directed behind the scenes by Communists or some other sinister group. I told him we had a saying in the movement that we don't trust anybody over 30. It was a way of telling the guy to back off, that nobody was pulling our strings.

On November 15, 1964, the Chronicle printed the story, quoting Weinberg as saying "We have a saying in the movement that you can't trust anybody over 30."

A Chronicle columnist, Ralph J. Gleason, highlighted the saying in his column on November 18. The saying then went viral, becoming a favorite for reporters and columnists wishing to ridicule the young, the New Left, or the hippie/Yippie movement. That annoyed Weinberg, who has said

I've done some things in my life I think are very important, and my one sentence in history turns out to be something I said off the top of my head which became completely distorted and misunderstood. But I've become more accepting of fate as I get older.