Ghandi was a huge creep

EffYou

Pissing excellence since 1995
Daps
She was married to him at the age of 6 and had sex with him at the age of 9. Muslims usually respond with 'You can't gauge his morals by today's standards'.....which is utter bullshyt because they ALL say he is a 'perfect model to be emulated' by today's man.

Disgusting.
Are you Christian? Because I’ve seen Muslims pick apart things from the Bible as well that would not fly in today’s environment

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Are you Christian? Because I’ve seen Muslims pick apart things from the Bible as well that would not fly in today’s environment

No, and Muslims HAVE to pick at the Bible because they face a dilemma with NO way out:

'Allah' gave the texts to Jews and Christians who then went on to 'corrupt' them, but, according to the Quran, NO ONE CAN CHANGE THE WORDS OF ALLAH.

So, if the above is true, then Islam is false because Allah was a liar and 'mere humans' changed what he wrote/said. If the above is NOT true, then Islam is false because both the Old and New Testaments contradict the Quran.

Either way, Islam is false.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Same. Finding out Gandhi was racist to me was like finding out Hulk Hogan was racist...both were thrown under the bus effectively after that never that never to be acknowledged again.

And this man was seen as a humanitarian and some model of moral authority. Time tells the truth.

That makes little sense. He was raised racist in a time where damn near everyone was racist, came to realize it was wrong in the early 1900s when 95% of the rest of the society still felt it was right, and spent the next 40 years of his life actively fighting against it with extreme vigilance and energy. He wasn't just some guy that Black anti-racist leaders of the time thought, "Well I'll give him as pass", they saw him as their friend and co-fighter and ally and one of the greatest models for Black liberation. Not because they "didn't know" he was racist, but because they new he had known racism in his own life and fully rejected it. Isn't that sort of the definition of moral authority?

Who do you give more moral authority to, the person who is taught from childhood that racism is wrong and who just goes with society's flow, or the person who is raised to be racist at a time when society approves of racism, but who rejects that message completely and does what 95% of the world isn't yet willing to do?

The Dalits don’t like him for a reason

Hinduism is Brahminism

Dr Ambedkar is the better human being

Hinduism is a ridiculous religion. Gandhi certainly worked for the reformation of Hinduism but couldn't fully escape its inadequacies. If you look at Hindus today though, you'd wish more of them were like Gandhi rather than the bullshyt they pull. The vast majority of Gandhi hate comes from fundamentalist Hindu nationalists who are much, much worse.

Saying "the dalits don't like him" is pretty simplistic. In his age he was extremely well-liked by dalits, his rivalry/debates with Ambedkar notwithstanding. Ambedkar didn't represent all dalits any more than Gandhi represented all hindus (otherwise, Dalits would have followed Ambedkar into rejecting Hinduism for Buddhism, but most of them refused to abandon Hinduism just like Gandhi). There are still large numbers of dalits who have enormous respect for Gandhi, I would suspect a majority though I don't know whether such data exists.

Ambedkar and Gandhi were both great men. They both had their blind spots as well. I'm not sure you could call one a "better human being" than the other. They were quite different people with different ways of operating and viewing the world and that is one of the reasons they clashed, but they also managed to work together and compromise to achieve something great.