Ghostly rings found around a black hole

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
A ghostly set of X-ray rings were found around a black hole with a companion star. These rings are created by light echoes.

(CNN)Black holes are one the universe's ultimate mysteries, hard to even imagine. But thanks to a recently released NASA image, we can visualize one a little bit better now.

Ghostly glowing rings were captured around a black hole by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and Neil Gehrels Swift Observatory. The X-ray images reveal what would otherwise be invisible.

The black hole exists in a binary system with a companion star -- and the black hole's gravity is pulling material away from the star and into a disk around itself.

and it's about 7,800 light-years from Earth. The star has about half the mass of our sun.

The space-based Swift Observatory, launched in 2004, detected an X-ray burst from the binary system in June 2015. This burst actually created energetic rings that are visible in the X-ray images.

Light echoes

The phenomenon that created the rings are light echoes. They were created in this system when the burst of X-rays from the binary system reflected off of dust clouds scattered across space between the V404 Cygni system and Earth.

Ghostly rings found around a black hole - CNN

Daps
I wish I could see something like that in person :noah:

:yeshrug: You’re welcome

a2d97154478bd33ad097e31e14f1d025.14.jpg

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Most photos you see of deep space are heavily color rendered. The apparitions you see in some of these photos is just radiation. They may not have shown up with the naked eye anyway but then they render it into one fo the layers of the photo. Like layering infrared onto a color photo. I means its there, but you wouldnt have saw it like that.