Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
gloriaapproved.jpg

Click to hear interview

After more than 45 years of activism that helped make this election possible, feminist and writer Gloria Steinem watched as America’s failed to elect a woman as president.

Against that backdrop, Steinem says she rejects Donald J. Trump as her president.

“I'm not going to disobey the law, but I'm not going to pretend he represents me,” she says. “I feel as if this is a vote against the future and the future is going to happen anyway.”

She continues, “It does feel like a vote against the social justice movements that have made so much change and actually changed the majority opinion.”

Steinem believes the Trump presidency is “doomed to failure,” but she says she understands how it happened.

She gives an anecdote as explanation: “A man will say to me, ‘A black woman took my job.’”

“But, who said it was your job?” she says in reply to the man, who she labels as most likely a Trump supporter. "It’s a sense of entitlement that he has that he was brought up with, that he deeply believes — and it’s going away.”

It's going away because of the diversifying of America, which Steinem says deeply excites her.

“We’re going to understand other countries better, it’s going to be a more interesting culture,” she says. “We’re going to have better food.”

“But to him,” Steinem says referring her anecdotal Trump supporter, “it’s profoundly threatening. Because he was raised to believe he had a place in a hierarchy that was inevitable.”

When asked if the Clinton campaign failed to clarify to those suffering economically they were blaming the wrong person, Steinem says that's the wrong question.

“I think what would have been helpful would be to focus on the kind of jobs that men with high school educations and skills that are very important would be interested in,” she says. “We need a program like in the Depression. We need the WPA again and if we had focused on that ... [Trump supporters] might have seen the kind of jobs that appeal to them."

“We didn’t do that enough,” she says.

In racist, cast and classist systems, Steinem says the control of reproduction is the only way to maintain the separation of groups.

“These things are intertwined and fundamental but they are still viewed as a kind of side issue,” she says. “The way we begin hierarchies is by controlling reproduction,” she says.

“When you look at the predictors of whether a country will be violent within itself or whether it will be willing to use military violence against another country, the strongest predictor is not poverty, or access to natural resources or religion, or even degree of democracy. It’s violence against females,” Steinem says.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
She gives an anecdote as explanation: “A man will say to me, ‘A black woman took my job.’”

“But, who said it was your job?”

I give an anecdote as explanation: "Gloria Steinem will say to me, 'Trump took Hillary's job.'"

"But, who said it was her job?"

fukk this old bag. Women will get their President soon enough. Hillary was a bad candidate that ran a bad campaign. If Hillary had a dikk Steinem wouldnt care.

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
fukk this bytch... 53% of her "sisters" voted for Trump... Her word means nothing.
I give an anecdote as explanation: "Gloria Steinem will say to me, 'Trump took Hillary's job.'"

"But, who said it was her job?"

fukk this old bag. Women will get their President soon enough. Hillary was a bad candidate that ran a bad campaign. If Hillary had a dikk Steinem wouldnt care.

It's a dope interview (about 18 mins) if you listen to it especially towards the middle. She brings up valid points such as Americans resistance to change is moot when this year there were more non-White babies being born. Also the key indicators if a country will be violent within itself or use military is not poverty or natural resources but a culture's violence towards women because it starts in the home and mentioned the Mujahideen. Politics was mentioned for only a portion. Love what she says below:

Consciousness is changing the idea of possibilities for changing we you know from understanding that marriage and love and connection happens between two women and two men to understanding that I would say in general but we are figuring out and what incidentally I think we knew for most of human history before colonialism and a whole bunch of other stuff is that human beings are linked, we are not ranked. That the paradigm of society is a circle, not a pyramid.

And the cultures that were here before Columbus showed up were built on that principle. Enormously sophisticated cultures and in fact our constitution is based on the Iroquois Confederacy. Marx and Engels read a book about the Iroquois Confederacy where they got their idea of Communism. They made one big error as it turns out in retrospect is that the end justifies the means when the basis of this culture was that the means should reflect the ends you want as much as possible.

I am not a Gloria Steinem fan btw.

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB

I like her show and she seems cool and all, but this video mannn :snoop:

She said as a White educated liberal woman who voted for HRC, she should take responsibility for the 60% of women and 50% of white educated people who voted for Trump. Just as White people do same for a single Muslim or a Black man to represent a group. Basically said she had been living in a liberal bubble, even with diverse groups and this election burst that. Sounds like she is going to use her privilege to fight White nationalism via social media which would have been brushed aside if HRC had won. Also she said that society hates women which I agree but I wasn’t a HRC supporter.

Sounds like she experienced a come to Jesus moment. What did she say that required the snoop emoji? Don't derail my thread. Steinem said dropped some jewels.

ineedsleep212

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
She said as a White educated liberal woman who voted for HRC, she should take responsibility for the 60% of women and 50% of white educated people who voted for Trump. Just as White people do same for a single Muslim or a Black man to represent a group. Basically said she had been living in a liberal bubble, even with diverse groups and this election burst that. Sounds like she is going to use her privilege to fight White nationalism via social media which would have been brushed aside if HRC had won. Also she said that society hates women which I agree but I wasn’t a HRC supporter.

Sounds like she experienced a come to Jesus moment. What did she say that required the snoop emoji? Don't derail my thread. Steinem said dropped some jewels.
No bullshyt I will revisit the vid Cuz of this post :lolbron:

Starting the video with the systematic hatred of women just made me x it out tbh lol.

I shall not rush to judge.

Jimi Swagger

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
No bullshyt I will revisit the vid Cuz of this post :lolbron:

Starting the video with the systematic hatred of women just made me x it out tbh lol.

I shall not rush to judge.
You probably disregard women and their issues are not interesting to you (outside of gaming, sex, food, fun etc). You aren't alone if so. Men aren't trained to empathize since it's labeled a feminine trait.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't agree. The stats show 53 percent of white women voted for trump. There has to be a time for introspection at some point.