GloRilla Hits Back At Fabolous' Female Rap Critique: 'What [Do] Men Rap About?'

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
GloRilla has fired back at Fabolous after his recent comments on the current state of female rap, offering her own critique of her male counterparts’ music.

Back in July, Fab took to social media to criticize what he thinks has become a one-dimensional genre, claiming that women in Hip Hop only make one style of rap.

On his Instagram Story, the Brooklyn native wrote: “I love hearing female rappers talking some real shyt. Women are so strong. Have so many stories and perspectives that we need to hear in pure form.”

He added: “No disrespect to any female rappers out there, but I think there’s only one style of female rap being promoted, programmed, and looked at as successful now.”

GloRilla responded to Fab’s comments in a GQ cover story published on Wednesday (December 13). She challenged Fab’s critique by pointing out the negativity in male rappers’ content: “What men rap about? Killing, fukking, robbing, cars, money.”

“Females rapping about the same shyt,” she continued. “But guess what? We’re not killing. We’re not in gangs. We’re not robbing. That’s what men be doing. What we doing? We’re sitting pretty, we’re popping our shyt, we’re hustling, we’re getting money. We fukk, so we rap about what we do.”

Recent discourse about negativity in Hip Hop has been a hot topic amongst fans and artists alike. E-40 recently added to the conversation during a sit-down with CBS Mornings, where he called on MCs to tell cautionary tales rather than glorifying negativity.

“I don’t like where [Hip Hop] is at,” he said during the interview. “Because I feel like it’s not enough creativity. Everyone sounds the same. A lot of copycats.”

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no problem with women rapping, I used to be a huge fan of noname before she had some type of twitter breakdown

I have a problem with women who think that foxes are imaginary animals like unicorns rapping about hoe shyt

hip hop is dominated by literal retards right now, most of them being women

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
As an old head :flabbynsick:

I'm genuinely surprised that the younger generations pay attention to and actually listen to female rappers.

Genuinely.

I didn't buy Roxanne, Real Roxanne, Mc Lyte, Latifah, Foxy, Lil Kim, Lauryn, Missy, etc's albums. Not for personal consumption.
I'm sure I got Paper Thin and Crush on You in the crates someplace, but that was for gigs.

And Nicki, Cardi, and whatever chick is shaking it for the camera these days? Really?

Shows how much more embracing the younger generations are.

Y'all done leveled up.

Salute!

Black Excellence

All Star
Daps
“But but what about men?” = go-to response when you say female rap is trash
Read what you just wrote tho.

Why attack what they’re doing and not expect someone to flip it right back at you?

It’s one thing if the criticism is coming from a good place but if the critic in question raps about misogyny & gun bars you gonna look at them like negro please. She right.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Conscious rap is lame, corny, bla bla but there's basically an entire lane to rapping about life shyt, parenthood, marriage/relationships, pros and cons of fame, black empowerment, storytelling and concepts etc

But let's just focus on the dumb shyt lol

None of the girls can thrive in that lane because they don't have actual fanbases but okay...

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
As an old head :flabbynsick:

I'm genuinely surprised that the younger generations pay attention to and actually listen to female rappers.

Genuinely.

I didn't buy Roxanne, Real Roxanne, Mc Lyte, Latifah, Foxy, Lil Kim, Lauryn, Missy, etc's albums. Not for personal consumption.
I'm sure I got Paper Thin and Crush on You in the crates someplace, but that was for gigs.

And Nicki, Cardi, and whatever chick is shaking it for the camera these days? Really?

Shows how much more embracing the younger generations are.

Y'all done leveled up.

Salute!
The previous generations didn’t have a problem listening to female rappers, so I’m not even sure where this “ewww yuck, women rappers” thing came from.