[Goon Year End Discussions] Best Goon Artist Of 2020

Who was the MVP of this Goon shyt in 2020?

• Total voters

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
conway_the_machine_half_of_it_01.gif

conway_the_machine_forever_droppin_tears_01.gif

Gotta give it to The Machine even though I think Gibbs has the album of the year.
Conway is my pick too, and I said this over in the King to a God thread, but I just wanna break down a few things.

2019 was his worst year. Dude dropped 2 legitimate duds. Look What I Became and Food 3 are easily his 2 least worst projects; he was dropping recycled verse after verse over uninspired production. I honestly thought he ran out of steam brehs. But like @Xtz23 told me, I was wrong.

He dropped 3 solid projects in 2020, and 1 of them is legitimately great. King to a God is a great body of work. AOTY contender material. The bars are leveled up even more than usual, the content is more well-rounded and diverse, and even his ear for beats is just getting better. I mean for all the hype Westside Gunn gets as an executive producer, all 3 of Conway's projects this year have distinct vibes from each other. Lulu and Wicked each have a unique production style, and King to a God expands his production without reaching too far.

I promise brehs. It's a dope time to be a Conway fan. The music this cat has in the chamber for 2021 is only getting better and better. His content is starting to match his delivery, and we're gonna be seeing an entirely new beast and more well-rounded artist in 2021.

Edit: King to a God Deluxe drops next Friday (12/18) and features more than half a dozen bonus songs. :banderas:

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
No Boldy breh:deadrose::why:
I'm surprised too. He averaged one project per quarter, and is clearly the best he's ever been as an emcee.

Tea in China is an easy AOTY contender, and even people that don't like Boldy all that much seemed to really like it, as well as Manger on McNichols. Versace Tape got mixed reviews (I didn't care for the production at all), and the early consensus on Real Bad Boldy seems to be that the production misses big time in a few spots but the rapping is fantastic.

Boldy just played a joint from the new album with Alc (2021) and it sounded like Bernadines mixed with Snort. :wow:
edit: @Morose Polymath I just caught that you put Boldy on the rising star poll.

Descendants of Cain is album of the year :wow:
There's arguably nothing better. I might be bugging on this, but I've never thought of KA as a goon rapper. Dude is more like a spiritual monk that drops high-level wisdom that he obtained from his battle scars.

Last edited:

Max Goonberg

Superstar
Daps
I'm surprised too. He averaged one project per quarter, and is clearly the best he's ever been as an emcee.

Tea in China is an easy AOTY contender, and even people that don't like Boldy all that much seemed to really like it, as well as Manger on McNichols. Versace Tape got mixed reviews (I didn't care for the production at all), and the early consensus on Real Bad Boldy seems to be that the production misses big time in a few spots but the rapping is fantastic.

There's arguably nothing better. I might be bugging on this, but I've never thought of KA as a goon rapper. Dude is more like a spiritual monk that drops high-level wisdom that he obtained from his battle scars

:ohhh::ehh::wow:

T.H.E. Goat

On the road to riches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where The Grass Is Blue

Boldy just played a joint from the new album with Alc (2021) and it sounded like Bernadines mixed with Snort. :wow:
edit: @Morose Polymath I just caught that you put Boldy on the rising star poll.

There's arguably nothing better. I might be bugging on this, but I've never thought of KA as a goon rapper. Dude is more like a spiritual monk that drops high-level wisdom that he obtained from his battle scars.
This was definitely his breakout year, expecting to see collabs with a few legends next year

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
I might be bugging on this, but I've never thought of KA as a goon rapper. Dude is more like a spiritual monk that drops high-level wisdom that he obtained from his battle scars.

KA is an ascended Goon... Risen above goonery, and now passes on wisdom in hopes that others wll rise above and become a sage :wow:

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston

Exactly. KA is like an old street scholar/sage that has infinite knowledge and wisdom. Can focus on any time period and relay it to life lessons as a whole coming from nothing. Truly one of the greatest writers of our time.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I feel like this should be Freddie Gibbs because Alfredo might be the Goon album of the year
A356jiI.gif

but then Conway had a crazy EP with ALC and a crazy album :lupe:
I mean he even got a beat from Hav and that’s damn near grounds for Goon of the year in and of itself
A356jiI.gif

but then Roc dropped Mt. Marci and also produced the entirety of Reasonable Drought which was a classic that should have went triple :lupe:
If I had more time to sit with Mt Marci would I have just picked Roc without hesitating?
A356jiI.gif