Government taking the next step to commercialize space

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
There ain't even a fukking point to this. They're just wantonly commercializing everything for corporate profit. :snoop:

NASA will pay companies to collect moon rocks for the next four years

NASA will pay companies to collect moon rocks for the next four years

NASA is looking to pay companies to collect dirt or rocks on the Moon within the next four years, as a first step in the agency’s goal to accelerate lunar exploration.

“It’s time to establish the regulatory certainty to extract and trade space resources,” NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said in a tweet.

NASA is seeking proposals from companies for how and where the collection of lunar regolith will happen. Under the terms of a contract, by 2024 a company would collect between 50 grams and 500 grams of Moon soil, provide imagery to NASA of the material and data of where to find it, and then transfer ownership of the materials to the space agency.

The agency said the collected material will then become its “sole property,” with NASA planning to retrieve the material “at a later date.”

The competition for contracts is not limited to U.S. companies, with bids due by Oct. 2. NASA did not disclose how much it expects the lunar collection contracts may be worth. But the agency did outline a payment structure, with companies getting 10% of the funds at the time of the award, 10% when the company launches their collection spacecraft, and 80% once they transfers the material to NASA.

“We are putting our policies into practice to fuel a new era of exploration and discovery that will benefit all of humanity,” Bridenstine wrote in a blog post.

NASA’s announcement follows President Donald Trump’s executive order earlier this year that the U.S. would seek further international support for its policy that allows private organizations to collect and use resources in space. Trump’s executive order essentially reaffirms a decision made by Congress in 2015, which gives American individuals and corporations “the right to engage in the commercial exploration, recovery, and use of resources in outer space.”"

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
BLM better demand those high paying mining jobs for black folks! Tho with the space force up there, not sure black intergalactic lives will matter :patrice:

mc_brew

#NotMyPresident
Daps
Reppin
the black cat is my crown...
when the projects get to space

:wow:

p0lxlSb.png
"If Joe Biden becomes president, he will end space. He wants to hurt the moon, hurt the sun. We just can't afford to let that happen."

h/t @MushroomX for the smiley....

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Privatized space is where it's at. This is one step in that direction.

Wait until Amazon outright owns a planet. Then Google feels obliged to get one of their own. Of course Alibaba wouldn't be left out...

Humanity would be all over the galaxy... Dune, here we come!

Wait... :patrice:

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Incentives :wow:
You beat me to it. I was probably going to type it in red too:russ:

Quite frankly, public funding for space ventures has failed because the desire to fund R&D ebbs and tides with US election cycles. I like the idea of garunteed contracts for XYZ amount.

Maybe incentivizing space like the US govt did to railroads in 1800s may work:yeshrug:.

Unfortunately, I also see longterm celestial land grants going to these space companies much like the ones Western Union and Union Pacifc received during the gilded age. :patrice: