Great Scott's Sci-Fi Books Thread

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Here we talk about Sci-Fi that I've read, and sci-fi books generally.

Hyperion and the Fall of Hyperion. My favorite sci-fi story of all time. Read it immediately.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. This books is about about a revolution that takes place on a future moon penal colony. Yes. Hell yes.

Starship Troopers. It goes much more into military culture than the movie did, but if must read Heinlein, read Moon listed above. Troopers is just pretty good.

Dune. I don't love it, but I see the appeal. Feels more fantasy than sci-fi, but I suppose that makes sense when you're talking far (farrrrr) future. Read it because you almost half to, pass on the sequels.

Stranger in a Strange Land. Reading this now. Although set in the future, the attitudes about women feel dated. like 60s/70s dated. Which is when this was published. I'm about 80% done so I might be editing this post.

Wool. This book, and it's sequels Shift and Dust make a fantastic trilogy. Although dystopian future might be more accurate than sci-fi.

Three Body Problem. I loved this book and the sequel The Dark Forest. The third book, not so much. 3BP is the kind of book I end up checking Google for movie updates, forums, and youtube videos. Only to be disappointed. If you're going to read one book on this list, make it this one.

1984. Classic. I don't have a copy anymore unfortunately, but I'll get one if it's something people want to discuss. It's take on the media, government and technology have been telling and absolutely frightening.

Beacon 23. I don't remember much about this book other than I enjoyed it enough. That and there weren't many characters.

Soooo...yeah. There you go.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Can u recommend some dope fiction that involves Artificial Intelligence, Aliens and Zombies?

Argh! How could I forget?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. The source of the classic movie Blade Runner. I don't love the book as much as much as I freaking love the movie, but the book is definitely good. Synthetic humans, bounty hunters, corrupt corporations. Yes.

I don't know about a book that has all 3 of the things you want, but I like the way 3 Body Problems handled aliens. Though, I suspect you might not. :patrice:

Edit: There are also relatively prominent AI's in TMISAHM and Hyperion, but that's not what either book is about...Not entirely, anyway.

Last edited:

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've been recommended A Fire Upon the Deep, what you think @Great Scott ?

I've never heard of it but it won the Hugo, so it probably won't be bad. Might even be great. Read it and let us know what you think. I think I've listed every sci-fi book I've read.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is is fantasy, not sci fi, but it's written by a Jamaican breh and is getting lots of hype. I'm gonna pre order it.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anyone else reading Black Leopard, Red Wolf? It's black fantasy. Written by a Jamaican breh.

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
Three Body Problem. I loved this book and the sequel The Dark Forest. The third book, not so much. 3BP is the kind of book I end up checking Google for movie updates, forums, and youtube videos. Only to be disappointed. If you're going to read one book on this list, make it this one.

I originally completely ignored and slept on this post but recently just got into this book

We ain't ready, I see this being the next big thing in a few years when tv and film adaptions eventually happen

:wow:

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I originally completely ignored and slept on this post but recently just got into this book

We ain't ready, I see this being the next big thing in a few years when tv and film adaptions eventually happen
:obama:

Make sure you read The Dark Forest too.:ufdup: It's better thand 3BP. It's where we learn about The Wallfacer Project:whoo:.

As far as movies, last I heard 3BP was in development hell. But apparently there's an animated project.

I'd prefer a well funded live action trilogy, but I'll take anything I can get at this point.

Or a Netflix series.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
:obama:

Make sure you read The Dark Forest too.:ufdup: It's better thand 3BP. It's where we learn about The Wallfacer Project:whoo:.

As far as movies, last I heard 3BP was in development hell. But apparently there's an animated project.

I'd prefer a well funded live action trilogy, but I'll take anything I can get at this point.

Or a Netflix series.

DO NOT REPLY

DO NOT REPLY

DOOO NOTT REPLY!!!!!

:damn:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
9781447297581.jpg

:mjlol: Last sci-fi book I've read. Had a blast reading this.

I'm a sci-fi head but the books I've been reading recently are fantasy. I'll be using this thread for recommendations