Harvard Reinstates Standardized Testing Requirement

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
That's good, I never understood what the point of getting rid of it was, it just creates a process that's even more subjective than it already is

I think the only real solution is for black families and/or local governments to start paying for SAT tutors
If you as a parent are not paying for your kid to take SAT prep, I wholeheartedly believe you are doing a disservice to your child.

There was a clear divide between me and my peers who did not wake their asses up on a Saturday morning junior year of highschool to go up to City College and take SAT prep.

DonB90

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Low Quality Posting
Any version of "just pay for it" will put the Black community at a permanent disadvantage.
Black people just pay for it when it comes to alot of things. Really stupid things. You ever seen these kids "urban" schools going to prom?

Why the woe is me tripe when it comes to something beneficial like education:jbhmm:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Black people just pay for it when it comes to alot of things. Really stupid things. You ever seen these kids "urban" schools going to prom?

Why the woe is me tripe when it comes to something beneficial like education:jbhmm:

You're being aggressively ignorant, no regular black students are spending the sort of money on prom that Harvard prospects are spending on test prep and placement services.

Some parents are putting in up to $750,000 to get their kids into an Ivy League school.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Some parents are putting in up to $750,000 to get their kids into an Ivy League school.

what the fukk is the relevance of this? :dead: spending 750,000 to get kids INTO college isn't remotely representative of anyone's experience. you're talking about what, .000001% of people?

DonB90

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
You're being aggressively ignorant, no regular black students are spending the sort of money on prom that Harvard prospects are spending on test prep and placement services.

That represents like less than 1% of the population. You think the average cac or Asian got 750k lying around....The hell are you talking about :skip:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That represents like less than 1% of the population. You think the average cac or Asian got 750k lying around....The hell are you talking about :skip:

1% of the population is WAY more than enough to fill up Harvard's entire freshman class every year.

The average white or Asian student doesn't have a fukking prayer of getting into Harvard. Less than 0.05% of high school graduates are accepted to Harvard. The vast majority of those are attending schools far better than what 95% of Black kids or even the majority of white kids have access to, and their parents are wealthy enough to spend tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands on test prep, tutoring, and other enrichment activities to increase their chances to get in.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This survey shows that about 160,000 high school students (~4% of the graduating class) are hiring private college admissions consultants each year.

Only 1,900 students are accepted into Harvard, and ~300 of those are international students. So there are 100x more kids working with private college consultants than there are spots open at Harvard.

The average entry level consultant charges around $5,000 a year (that's not counting prep courses or anything else the student has to do), but the ones targeting Ivy Leagues can charge much, much more. The article says it's a $4 billion a year industry, which means ~$25,000 per student (or in other words, probably around 100,000 kids paying in the $5,000-$10,000 range, 50,000 kids paying in the $25,000-$50,000 range, and 10,000 kids paying in that $100,000+ range up to $750,000).

Last edited:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Is this a SAT is racist thread?:mjlol:
It's pretty universally acknowledged that standardized tests like the SAT and ACT correlate tightly with parents' income and education level - and largely utilized as a proxy for race, not perfectly, but there tight correlation.

DonB90

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
It's pretty universally acknowledged that standardized tests like the SAT and ACT correlate tightly with parents' income and education level - and largely utilized as a proxy for race, not perfectly, but there tight correlation.
Fredrick Douglas was born an illiterate slave an taught himself to read and write an eventually became one of the greatest authors in American history yet somehow a low income Black child in 2024 can't study hard to score well on the SAT. Lawd have mercy :francis:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Fredrick Douglas was born an illiterate slave an taught himself to read and write an eventually became one of the greatest authors in American history yet somehow a low income Black child in 2024 can't study hard to score well on the SAT. Lawd have mercy :francis:

I can't even imagine the level of ignorance it takes to write a Fox News-style complaint like this.

What the fukk does a crazy exception by one of the most talented people in American history have to do with the average American? Do you seriously think those rich white parents are paying $100,000 for something that a poor Black kid could achieve just by working a bit harder? You think the most well-off, informed people in the country have turned test prep and private college advisors EACH into multi-billion dollar industries, but they're basically throwing money away because poor black kids could do just as well if they just lifted themselves up by their own bootstraps?

You've clearly never studied standardized testing and outcomes at any academic level, never studied achievement gap, never read the original research on the subject, but you think you can just become the internet expert because you have a feeling.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

I didn't recognize the poster's name, but he's a March 2022 poster and talks like this:

"Breh" wants a return to mass incarceration, is angry that student loans were forgiven, thinks that only conservatives should run cities because they're better at it, complains about Biden all the time, and starts threads bytching that women don't cook and clean for me like they used to. It's not a surprise that he doesn't give a shyt about anti-black discrimination in education and thinks black folk should just "bootstrap" their way up.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
I can't even imagine the level of ignorance it takes to write a Fox News-style complaint like this.

What the fukk does a crazy exception by one of the most talented people in American history have to do with the average American? Do you seriously think those rich white parents are paying $100,000 for something that a poor Black kid could achieve just by working a bit harder? You think the most well-off, informed people in the country have turned test prep and private college advisors EACH into multi-billion dollar industries, but they're basically throwing money away because poor black kids could do just as well if they just lifted themselves up by their own bootstraps?

You've clearly never studied standardized testing and outcomes at any academic level, never studied achievement gap, never read the original research on the subject, but you think you can just become the internet expert because you have a feeling.
If you have a cellphone, you can study for standardized testing in your free time for no money. Even if a student doesn't get into an ivy league school, they can still gain admissions to the most prestigious universities in the country.

Test prep and college advisors are essentially easy button scammers IMO

DonB90

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I didn't recognize the poster's name, but he's a March 2022 poster and talks like this:

"Breh" wants a return to mass incarceration, is angry that student loans were forgiven, thinks that only conservatives should run cities because they're better at it, complains about Biden all the time, and starts threads bytching that women don't cook and clean for me like they used to. It's not a surprise that he doesn't give a shyt about anti-black discrimination in education and thinks black folk should just "bootstrap" their way up.
Black people will perpetually be in a state of behind cause of weak men like yourself.

Fox News :mjlol: I was raised around Black people from pre Civil Rights deep south that use to sharecrop that somehow were able to overcome that misery and buy homes and raise generations of family. That woe is me shyt and word salad jargon you learned from those highfalutin cracka ass liberals you hang out with Professor isn't going to help Black people especially in lower economic situations in anyway shape or form. It works for your lil liberal friends cause their kids drink $8 lattes and take ballet classes after private school they really don't give af they'll be good either way. Now go dig up some more of my post cause you can't actually rebute what I originally stated.

Completely free for anyone to use.

Last edited: