Has Afrobeat Overtaken Reggae/Dancehall in Global Popularity?

invalid

Banned
Daps
They even have that tictoc challenge with the afrobeat music that's been going around.

I'm not going to lie, I don't care for reggae that much. A few songs here or there that I vibe with. But I've been listening to a shyt ton of afrobeats.

And I vibe more with Fela Kuti then with Bob Marley.

Is afrobeats overtaking reggae in global appeal?

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
tenor.gif

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
Afro beats are easier on the ears, that's for sure .. I know people who hate reggae but love afro beats. There's times it sounds like R&B, times when it sounds like party music... But doesn't sound like loud ass gibberish like reggae.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
People who disagree either live in Jamaica or haven't been to a club in a couple years :yeshrug:

yea Jamaicans would never admit it lol.

I think it’s better to get the opinions from other West Indian cats and the ADOS who are into that music such as the ADOS in the NorthEast and Florida

invalid

Banned
Daps
I think so! Afro Beats is even popular in reggae clubs and events.

On a popular hip hop station in Chicago, they even do a afrobeats show on Sunday nights.

nikkas from Englewood to Roseland now have exposure to international black music on the airwaves which I think is incredible.

This wouldn't have happened 15 years ago and neither would it have been popular.

I love the show and apparently it's popular from what I hear.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
On a popular hip hop station in Chicago, they even do a afrobeats show on Sunday nights.

nikkas from Englewood to Roseland now have exposure to international black music on the airwaves which I think is incredible.

This wouldn't have happened 15 years ago and neither would it have been popular.

I love the show and apparently it's popular from what I hear.

This is true. Brooklyn which is West Indian capitol used to only have Reggae and soca vibes. You never really heard Caribbean cats listening to African music of any sort. It was the other way around really.

Now most of these Caribbean cats know about Wizkid and Burna Boy etc.

invalid

Banned
Daps
People who disagree either live in Jamaica or haven't been to a club in a couple years :yeshrug:

I feel like Jamaican migration to England helped push the global appeal of reggae at it's heights.

But the last time I was in London, I felt that African immigrants were overtaking the Jamaican community in influence. I don't know.

And with the African community having large numbers now in Paris, Italy, and Spain, afrobeats is bound to take over even american music.