Have you ever turned down a job because it would hurt black people?

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Anyone ever been in this situation?

I was interviewing for a job that paid well and would have had amazing benefits. But the group I'd be working under was directly responsible for the misfortune of many black people, espcially black men. Has anyone ever done this before?

Thurgood Thurston III

#LLNB #LLLB #E4R | woooK nypdK
Daps
Reppin
The kirk to the fields
It may be a decision between loss of pride and loss of a house.

Tough decision but I would just turn it down if it's THAT BAD.

Hopefully, another black person noticed and is grateful enough to help me find another job. /s

How do you feel about it now though? Did it work out for you in the end?

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Too many jobs in America hurt Black people but also hire some of us so a lot of brothas and sistas compartmentalize their lives.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No. I had a similar moral issue though with a potential offer. The company was a pioneer in the production of hypodermic needles. I remember feeling some kind of way just because of the impact of addiction on people in my family as well as blacks in general. I never got an interview or call back though, so it was all good. For the best.

Daps
Reppin
St louis
i stopped selling powder.
:yes:

wat6rr.jpg

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Why apply for a job that you have moral issue with in the first place ?

Sometimes you don't realize the full nature of what goes on at some of these companies until you actually go on an interview. Only then will you get the full scope of their operation and only then will you possibly have a moral dilemma. I used to work in manufacturing (machining, tool and die, etc.), and interviewed with a company that had government contracts. You wouldn't know it looking at the outside of the building, but they had a whole operation back beyond the secretary's doors. A lot of machine shops are like that. There was a couple sections of the floor they couldn't even show me because it was considered classified. I was able to see a couple things that were military related.

I ended up getting another job offer at the time, but it did prick my conscience just a little bit knowing that I could have a hand in this country's war machine. That didn't entirely sit well with me.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
It may be a decision between loss of pride and loss of a house.

Tough decision but I would just turn it down if it's THAT BAD.

Hopefully, another black person noticed and is grateful enough to help me find another job. /s

How do you feel about it now though? Did it work out for you in the end?
I feel it was the right decision. I got two promotions at my current job so I'm doing well, salary 401K ect.