Higher Learning Book Club

Stay Seeking

Banned
Daps
What Books, By Black Authors, Have You Read That Has Positively Change Your Cultural Perspective?

What non-fiction books have you read that has positively changed your outlook and made you a better person?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
*The ISIS Papers by Dr. Francis Crest Welsing
*From ******s to Gods vol.1
*Malcolm X autobiography
*The Beautiful Struggle: A Father, Two Sons, and an Unlikely Road to Manhood by Ta-Nehisi Coates
Note on this book, the author (Mr.Coates) is a Baltimore native. the way he wrote on this book was as if you had someone speaking to you. he didn't come off too preachy or over utilize slang to seem 'hip'. definitely a book I'd recommend to anyone!​
*Various 5%'er literature when I was about 15-16, definitely opened my eyes and mind up to some other shyt.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
What non-fiction books have you read that has positively changed your outlook and made you a better person?
what books have you read fam that changed your life? I like being put on to shyt that I haven't read before

Stay Seeking

Banned
Daps
*The ISIS Papers by Dr. Francis Crest Welsing
*From ******s to Gods vol.1
*Malcolm X autobiography
*The Beautiful Struggle: A Father, Two Sons, and an Unlikely Road to Manhood by Ta-Nehisi Coates
Note on this book, the author (Mr.Coates) is a Baltimore native. the way he wrote on this book was as if you had someone speaking to you. he didn't come off too preachy or over utilize slang to seem 'hip'. definitely a book I'd recommend to anyone!​
*Various 5%'er literature when I was about 15-16, definitely opened my eyes and mind up to some other shyt.

First time I'd heard of Ta-Nehisi Coates was The Atlantic's article on reparations, last year. What is "From ******s to Gods" about?

Stay Seeking

Banned
Daps
what books have you read fam that changed your life? I like being put on to shyt that I haven't read before

Disintegration by Eugene Robinson
Rich and The Rest of Us by Tavis Smiley and Cornel West
Democracy Matters by Cornel West
History of White People by Nell Irving Painter
Creating Black Americans by Nell Irving Painter

Brainwashed by Tom Burrell :mjcry::wow::dwillhuh::whew::krs::ohlawd::myman::damn::mindblown::banderas::salute::lupe:

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
First time I'd heard of Ta-Nehisi Coates was The Atlantic's article on reparations, last year. What is "From ******s to Gods" about?
Ta-Nehisi Coates is a good writer.

and "From ******s to Gods" is a 2 volume series last time I checked, think most of the writers are from the west coast. it's basically short write ups on how Blacks can improve their mental state and position in society and how important it is to leave the dumb shyt alone. pretty ill read if you ever get the chance to read it.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I started reading Frantz Fanon's "Black Skin, White Masks" a few days ago. The book is about the state of mind of the colonized in the 50s and how to be Black (which was mostly who were the colonized people by the French in the West Indies or in Africa) under White rule (which was the continental French at the time). It is very interesting and the more I'm reading it, the more I feel it could be applied to every colonized people under a different cultural/demographic rule.

Also wondering if HL has a book thread... it could be nice to have an HL book club.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Disintegration by Eugene Robinson
Rich and The Rest of Us by Tavis Smiley and Cornel West
Democracy Matters by Cornel West
History of White People by Nell Irving Painter
Creating Black Americans by Nell Irving Painter

Brainwashed by Tom Burrell :mjcry::wow::dwillhuh::whew::krs::ohlawd::myman::damn::mindblown::banderas::salute::lupe:

I've not read any of these, but that Brainwashed book seem's like it was the most interesting one you've read. what's that one about?

Stay Seeking

Banned
Daps
I started reading Frantz Fanon's "Black Skin, White Masks" a few days ago. The book is about the state of mind of the colonized in the 50s and how to be Black (which was mostly who were the colonized people by the French in the West Indies or in Africa) under White rule (which was the continental French at the time). It is very interesting and the more I'm reading it, the more I feel it could be applied to every colonized people under a different cultural/demographic rule.

Also wondering if HL has a book thread... it could be nice to have an HL book club.

I own that book, but it's PDF, mostly ALL of my books are hard copies. I have to get a hard copy, maybe today.

Stay Seeking

Banned
Daps
I've not read any of these, but that Brainwashed book seem's like it was the most interesting one you've read. what's that one about?
51J9dyvF%2B%2BL.jpg

51%2BEV-3hCjL.jpg

“Black people are not dark-skinned white people,” says advertising visionary Tom Burrell. In fact, they are much more. They are survivors of the Middle Passage and centuries of humiliation and deprivation, who have excelled against the odds, constantly making a way out of “No way!” At this pivotal point in history, the idea of black inferiority should have had a “Going-Out-of-Business Sale.” After all, Barack Obama has reached America’s Promised Land.

Yet, as Brainwashed: Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority testifies, too many in black America are still wandering in the wilderness. In this powerful examination of “the greatest propaganda campaign of all time”—the masterful marketing of black inferiority, aka the BI Complex—Burrell poses ten disturbing questions that will make black people look in the mirror and ask why, nearly 150 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, so many blacks still think and act like slaves. Burrell’s acute awareness of the power of words and images to shift, shape, and change the collective consciousness has led him to connect the contemporary and historical dots that have brought us to this crossroads.

Brainwashed is not a reprimand—it is a call to action. It demands that we question our self-defeating attitudes and behaviors. Racism is not the issue; how we respond to media distortions and programmed self-hatred is the issue. It’s time to reverse the BI campaign with a globally based initiative that harnesses the power of new media and the wisdom of intergenerational coalitions. Provocative and powerful, Brainwashed dares to expose the wounds so that we, at last, can heal.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
51J9dyvF%2B%2BL.jpg

51%2BEV-3hCjL.jpg

“Black people are not dark-skinned white people,” says advertising visionary Tom Burrell. In fact, they are much more. They are survivors of the Middle Passage and centuries of humiliation and deprivation, who have excelled against the odds, constantly making a way out of “No way!” At this pivotal point in history, the idea of black inferiority should have had a “Going-Out-of-Business Sale.” After all, Barack Obama has reached America’s Promised Land.

Yet, as Brainwashed: Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority testifies, too many in black America are still wandering in the wilderness. In this powerful examination of “the greatest propaganda campaign of all time”—the masterful marketing of black inferiority, aka the BI Complex—Burrell poses ten disturbing questions that will make black people look in the mirror and ask why, nearly 150 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, so many blacks still think and act like slaves. Burrell’s acute awareness of the power of words and images to shift, shape, and change the collective consciousness has led him to connect the contemporary and historical dots that have brought us to this crossroads.

Brainwashed is not a reprimand—it is a call to action. It demands that we question our self-defeating attitudes and behaviors. Racism is not the issue; how we respond to media distortions and programmed self-hatred is the issue. It’s time to reverse the BI campaign with a globally based initiative that harnesses the power of new media and the wisdom of intergenerational coalitions. Provocative and powerful, Brainwashed dares to expose the wounds so that we, at last, can heal.

Thank you man,
I'll check this out when I get the opportunity to.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Autobiography of Malcolm X
How Europe Underdeveloped Africa, by Walter Rodney
The Destruction of Black Civilization, by Chancellor Williams
Countering The Conspiracy To Destroy Black Boys, by Jawanza Kunjufu
Black Labor, White Wealth, by Claud Anderson
Dirty Little Secrets About Black History, Its Heroes And Other Troublemakers, also by Claud Anderson