Hill Ain't Playin: DOJ watchdog investigating FBI decisions in Clinton email probe

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
:mjstare: This is going to be an interesting year...

DOJ watchdog investigating FBI decisions in Clinton email probe

DOJ watchdog investigating FBI decisions in Clinton email probe
By Julia Edwards Ainsley | WASHINGTON

The U.S. Justice Department on Thursday said it would probe a Federal Bureau of Investigation decision to announce it was reopening an inquiry into Hillary Clinton's emails shortly before the November presidential election, a move she has blamed as a factor in her defeat.

The Justice Department's Office of Inspector General said its probe would focus in part on decisions leading up to public statements by FBI Director James Comey regarding the Clinton investigation and whether underlying investigative decisions may have been based on "improper considerations."

Although the FBI ultimately decided not to refer Clinton’s case for prosecution, Comey aroused suspicion that may have diminished trust in Clinton among voters.

The FBI and the Justice Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The controversy involved Clinton's use of a private email server for official correspondence when she was secretary of state under President Barack Obama, including for messages that were later determined to contain classified information.

Often leading crowds in chants of "lock her up!" during the election campaign, President-elect Donald Trump as a candidate repeatedly accused Clinton of illegal conduct over the emails. In a debate in October, he vowed she would "be in jail" over the matter if he became president, but he has since said he would not pursue prosecution.

Comey publicly announced the status of the agency's investigation into Clinton's emails two times in 2016.

In July, Comey held a press conference and testified before Congress to explain why the FBI had decided not to refer Clinton for prosecution, explaining that she was "extremely careless" but should not be charged with gross negligence or any other federal crime.

In October, less than two weeks before the Nov. 8 election, Comey said the FBI was resuming the investigation because of new emails found on the computer of disgraced former Representative Anthony Weiner, the husband of one of Clinton's top aides.

On Nov. 6, Comey said the investigation into Weiner's computer produced no new evidence that would incriminate Clinton.

Brian Fallon, Clinton's spokesman, told MSNBC on Thursday that Comey's actions "cried out for an independent review."

It is the usual practice of prosecutors and law enforcement, including the FBI, not to disclose information about investigations that do not end in criminal charges.

Asked about the probe, the White House said the review, like any by a like any by a government inspector general, was an independent decision.

Trump, who will be sworn in Jan. 20, will not have the power to dismiss the probe. But it is within presidential authority to appoint or dismiss inspectors general for federal agencies.

Critics of Comey's decisions also said he could be in violation of the Hatch Act, a 1939 law that bars government employees from interfering with U.S. elections.

The inspector general's announcement said the review would not consider whether the FBI or the Department of Justice made right decisions in not charging Clinton.

(Reporting by Timothy Ahmann, additional reporting by Ayesha Rascoe; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

Edub

Veteran
Daps
There are too many holes in trumps boat.....I've never seen a presidential incumbent on such thin nice......don't know if he'll make it through his entire first term honestly :francis:

Edub

Veteran
Daps
It should stay here too. Also, she needs to do time I mean seriously.
Hillary was wrong with the emails but tax payer dollars on her jail time is a waste.....cuz her time will cost especially high dollars. What she did is what many high level officials do....she just happened to be a woman running for office.

I'm willing to bet the entire G W Bush top staff did the same stuff....Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, etc.....if we jail her the rabbit hole never will end.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Same as myself. I voted for neither and went the 3rd party route. BOTH are horrible in my opinion.

I voted for Hill, since she's at least a devil we know (politically, that is). She still sucked as a candidate and I pulled for Bernie in the primaries, but she was clearly the better choice. :manny:

I think this story is starting to add credibility to the idea that they aren't equally bad. :mjcry:

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Hillary was wrong with the emails but tax payer dollars on her jail time is a waste.....cuz her time will cost especially high dollars. What she did is what many high level officials do....she just happened to be a woman running for office.

I'm willing to bet the entire G W Bush top staff did the same stuff....Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, etc.....if we jail her the rabbit hole never will end.
No, the Clinton Foundation corruption should do her in.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There are too many holes in trumps boat.....I've never seen a presidential incumbent on such thin nice......don't know if he'll make it through his entire first term honestly :francis:

Trump is his own worst enemy ..... his hubris will bring him down....

you really think you are going to shyt on intelligence agencies and believe there wont be a blowback? ...... If he didnt piss them off no one would know the contents of that intelligence dossier ....

The smartest thing he could do right now is to lay off twitter.....

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Trump is his own worst enemy ..... his hubris will bring him down....

you really think you are going to shyt on intelligence agencies and believe there wont be a blowback? ...... If he didnt piss them off no one would know the contents of that intelligence dossier ....

The smartest thing he could do right now is to lay off twitter.....

He'd save himself a lot of trouble if he would get off Twitter. :mjstare:

Like Shakespeare said : "Methinks he doth protest too much" :mjkomrade: