Hip-Hop Theory: I think Nas always wanted AZ to stay in his shadow

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Walk with me for a sec... and older heads please chime in (because I could be wrong... it's just a theory)

Illmatic came out in 1994. It was universally heralded as a classic and Nas was on his way. One of the standout tracks was "Life's a bytch", featuring Brooklyn rapper AZ. It could even be argued that AZ outshined Nas on this track.

While Illmatic was a critical success, it didn't really catch on mainstream. There's no record of any of the singles charting.

In 1995, AZ releases his debut album featuring the hit single "Sugar Hill". "Sugar Hill" topped at 25 on the Billboard Hot 100, higher than any Nas song at that point in his career.

Enter 1996. Nas drops "It Was Written" with his breakout single "If I Ruled the World" "If I Ruled the World" topped out at 53 on the Billboard Hot 100, while "Street Dreams" peaked at 22. [It must have been a timing situation because IIRTW is clearly the more popular song]

From that point on their careers go different directions, but they did collab on the failed Firm project and numerous songs in the future. For some reason, AZ is relegated to underground rapper status while Nas becomes a superstar.

Here's why I think Nas wanted AZ to stay in his shadow.
  • Over the years, despite fans CLAMORING for the AZ/Nas collab project, it's never happened. This is largely due to Nas. He's the bigger star and dictates what happens. Nas has never really had a good excuse for the collab not dropping either.
  • AZ blew up commercially before Nas, Nas probably felt some way about it. Especially after putting AZ on. :yeshrug:
  • Nas kept delaying the collabo album and now nobody wants that shyt.

Questions I have for NY/older cats:
Why didn't Sugar Hill launch AZ into superstardom? I remember hearing it all over the radio. It's about a good of a single one can ask for in their career.
Why wasn't AZ seen on Nas' level? He's got the lyrics, flow, and even has the look.
Has there ever been any public beef between the two? (i.e. Did Nas feel some type of way about AZ being in Jay-Z's "Dead Presidents" video.)

This is all just theory and an attempt to get some real hip-hop discussion going. Nas is my favorite rapper alive but I always wondered why AZ was underrated.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Nas forced AZ on Illmatic. After hearing his verse. If Nas felt threatened or jealous in any kind of way. He wouldnt have made AZ the ONLY rap feature after hearing his verse. Also. Nas was on muliple songs on AZ’s debut. They done commercials together. Nas put him in The Firm. They made The Firm album. And Nas has collabed with AZ consistently up until about 04-05. And as far as why AZ didnt blow up like Nas. shyt just happens that way sometimes and AZ isnt as versatile an artist as Nas overall. AZ is still that nikka tho.

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
Nas forced AZ on Illmatic. After hearing his verse. If Nas felt threatened or jealous in any kind of way. He wouldnt have made AZ the ONLY rap feature after hearing his verse. Also. Nas was on muliple songs on AZ’s debut. They done commercials together. Nas put him in The Firm. They made The Firm album. And Nas has collabed with AZ consistently up until about 04-05. And as far as why AZ didnt blow up like Nas. shyt just happens that way sometimes and AZ isnt as versatile an artist as Nas overall. AZ is still that nikka tho.

He also put him in Belly, for a small, yet memorable part

VladTheImpaler

The Sensational Prince
Daps
Reppin
The Palace of Eternal Sun
There is an old saying that "sometimes the stars align a certain way"....sometimes things just kinda happen for whatever reason....

I am sure if we really dug we could find something like.... a bad deal, poor marketing, possibly not linking with other stars....who knows....

there are a lot of questions like that..

One of the best voices I have heard in a long time is a singer named Terry Reid... great voice...worked with the best soulful rock stars...but for whatever reason..never blew up...

good post man...

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Nas at NO point hindered AZ’s career. He actually HELPED it.

Put him on Illmatic
Put him on It Was Written
Was on two songs on Doe Or Die
Put him in the Firm
Was in a Sprite Commercial together
Put him on Stillmatic
Was on Aziatic

I mean what MORE would you want Nas to do? Hell Nas arguably did more for AZ than he did his and his brother’s group The Bravehearts.

The major difference between Nas and AZ’s careers is that Nas had Steve Stoute in his corner early and Nas even said that Steve forced him to bite the apple of success. Steve hooked Nas up with Trackmasters, Steve Hooked Nas up with Will Smith, Steve had a vision to make Nas a superstar and they did that shyt.

AZ didn’t have anybody in his corner that was hungry enough to see him be THAT guy. If you look at pretty much any Hip Hop Star, they had someone in their corner who worked their ass off to help them get the access they needed to blow.

Newportbox

All Star
Daps
Nas isn't great at pushing/promoting himself. Let alone another artist (word to Bravehearts).