Honorable breh becomes the 15th amendment in flesh and blood

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Honorable breh Hiram Revels was a great orator. He recruited and organized 2 regiments for the Union Army as Chaplin and fought in the battle of Vicksburg. He became the 1st black U.S. Senator in the nation, essentially legitimizing the 15th amendment and integrating the national political sphere.
Honorable breh Revels didn't stop there, he helped found and serve as president for the 1st Public landgrant University for formerly enslaved black Americans; Alcorn State
:salute:
Honorable breh should have a film by now. But you won't ever hear about him because of the compromise of 1877.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Good post.
The rise of AAs post-Civil War and the presence of elected officials like Sen . Revels created the backlash in the former confederacy that lead to the political pressure to end Reconstruction.
Similar to how Obama's election sparked the resentment that birthed MAGA.
Oh no question, I remember during Obama's run they often compared him to Hiram Revels because of his politics, oratory skills and national influence.
Revels himself was extremely moderate in politics but his mere presence was deemed radical. He even worked with former Confederate General James Alcorn politically. They were supposed to be an example of the two sides coming together post Civil War. :yeshrug:
I still don't know how he founded Alcorn State as a full fledged college/university in dangerous Mississippi.
I feel his legacy and the HBCU itself has been largely compromised due to the narrative around Reconstruction. Growing up here in Mississippi we never learned about him. I wonder why. :mjpls:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Oh no question, I remember during Obama's run they often compared him to Hiram Revels because of his politics, oratory skills and national influence.
Revels himself was extremely moderate in politics but his mere presence was deemed radical. He even worked with former Confederate General James Alcorn politically. They were supposed to be an example of the two sides coming together post Civil War. :yeshrug:
I still don't know how he founded Alcorn State as a full fledged college/university in dangerous Mississippi.
I feel his legacy and the HBCU itself has been largely compromised due to the narrative around Reconstruction. Growing up here in Mississippi we never learned about him. I wonder why. :mjpls:
In the Rate HBCU series, Dr Ban pointed out how the profiles of the different schools changed over the decades. Regionally and nationally.

I think Alcorn's most visible alum in modern era would have been the late Steve Mcnair. Certain that he would have funded media projects to highlight the school's history, and Sen. Revel's direct hand.

I'd have to agree with you about historians not devoting a lot of resources for the Reconstruction era . And I get it.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Good post.
The rise of AAs post-Civil War and the presence of elected officials like Sen . Revels created the backlash in the former confederacy that lead to the political pressure to end Reconstruction.
Similar to how Obama's election sparked the resentment that birthed MAGA.
This is an understatement. The KKK was partially created in response to Black people stepping into political positions. The first insurrection post CW happened after cac in Wilmington NC (1898) got salty that Black majority voted in an interracial local government. What followed was a massacre of the Black residents. That sent a message cross the saw which helped lead to a massive drop in Black political participation which didn't recover until the 50s.

Cacs are historically afraid of Black political engagement, but modern smart dumb nikkas will tell you otherwise.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
In the Rate HBCU series, Dr Ban pointed out how the profiles of the different schools changed over the decades. Regionally and nationally.

I think Alcorn's most visible alum in modern era would have been the late Steve Mcnair. Certain that he would have funded media projects to highlight the school's history, and Sen. Revel's direct hand.

I'd have to agree with you about historians not devoting a lot of resources for the Reconstruction era . And I get it.

Another interesting tidbit about Hiram Revels is that he is a Native Black American and said his people always been free. :whoo:
As for visible alums, well we have some pretty visible alums right now. Myrlie Evers does the best being an ambassador right now but she's 90+, shouldn't be up to her anymore. Leslie Frazier just stepped out and hosted a HBCU legacy show on NBC with a Howard alum but he's been so busy in the NFL coaching that he hasn't really had the opportunity to do more things like that. Donald Driver should be more active but he's just not a good ambassador for Alcorn. Donald Driver and his wife are a model couple and could be the current first family of Alcorn.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
This is an understatement. The KKK was partially created in response to Black people stepping into political positions. The first insurrection post CW happened after cac in Wilmington NC (1898) got salty that Black majority voted in an interracial local government. What followed was a massacre of the Black residents. That sent a message cross the saw which helped lead to a massive drop in Black political participation which didn't recover until the 50s.

Cacs are historically afraid of Black political engagement, but modern smart dumb nikkas will tell you otherwise.

exactly, most of the people the KKK killed was black Americans trying to elevate themselves. Revels really walked a fine line during his time, I think his moderate politics was mostly trying to stay alive. During the mid 1870s things got really hostile for anyone involved in politics.

Hater Eraser

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
That California Lifestyle ...

e3b2897dc83b2d94079eb864deec266e5a403048.jpg

hq720.jpg